English > Support

Just migrated from Movie Collector, how to transfer 1000 covers?

<< < (2/2)

Marc:
Hmm, if I understand correct, I need to rename all my posters to an ID number (without a title, right? i.e. 123.jpg). I'm still not sure how to do it, even with the example you provided, because I hardly ever used Excel before :-[

I have column A called "ID", and column B called "Front Cover". Robocop.jpg needs to become 23.jpg. How? ???

rick.ca:

--- Quote ---I have column A called "ID", and column B called "Front Cover". Robocop.jpg needs to become 23.jpg. How?
--- End quote ---

Assuming you've reindexed your movies and exported ID and the matching poster filename to Excel...

* In cell C2, enter the formula ="rename """&B2&""" "&A2&".jpg". This should result in rename "Robocop.jpg" 23.jpg (the filename is enclosed in quotes for those that include spaces). Copy this formula to all lines in the list.
* Select column C by clicking on it's header. Copy it to a new file in a text editor. Save this file as rename.bat in your poster folder.
* There's no "undoing" the next step. Make a backup of your poster folder!
* Run rename.bat.

Marc:
Allright! Thanks to your generous directions I managed to get it working! I'm happy :D

Notes for anybody who will attemt something similar: You have to put the "Images by ID" utility in PVD's main folder, and when you run it, make sure you select "Remove existing images". I also selected "Set folder", not sure what that does though.

Also, the formula you want to use in Excel is "rename """&B:B&""" "&A:A&".jpg". I selected the entire C column, went to the edit menu, selected "replace", and replaced nothing with the formula, so every field gets the formula.

rick.ca:

--- Quote ---You have to put the "Images by ID" utility in PVD's main folder
--- End quote ---

Sorry, forgot to mention that.

--- Quote ---I also selected "Set folder", not sure what that does though.
--- End quote ---

I believe that adds the folder to the appropriate folder locations in Preferences - Folders. Those won't be relevant if you switch to Save images in database after the import is complete. BTW, have you done that? I recommend it, but only after you're sure all your images have been imported. Once the switch is made, it cannot be reversed.

--- Quote ---the formula you want to use in Excel is...
--- End quote ---

That works, but is less direct and more error-prone than copying a formula from one cell to other cells. The "2" in ="rename """&B2&""" "&A2&".jpg" refers to row 2 (assuming row 1 is a header). Once that formula is in cell C2, it can be copied to all cells below it (where there are values in column B) just by double clicking on the lower right corner of the cell. That's quicker than using Replace. ;)

Marc:

--- Quote from: rick.ca on August 01, 2009, 08:30:17 pm ---I believe that adds the folder to the appropriate folder locations in Preferences - Folders. Those won't be relevant if you switch to Save images in database after the import is complete. BTW, have you done that? I recommend it, but only after you're sure all your images have been imported. Once the switch is made, it cannot be reversed.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I've done as you suggested.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version