Author Topic: Whisky  (Read 9839 times)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Whisky
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:40:33 am »
I am finding myself enjoying whisky a lot for some time now and the wide variety of tastes does not seem to end  ;D

Trying to remember which bottles I already tried and the taste and nose was got me to write another little database - Whisky Catalog.

If there is some one here who likes whisky and wants to keep track of what was tasted and such, then feel free to get the app here: http://www.smsw.info
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

Re: Whisky
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:59:45 pm »
I wanted to reply earlier, but was too busy with getting along with PVD. ;D

I must say that I'm not that into whiskey for a few years, but became wine fan. I even have my own collection of worldwide wines, and once in a 4-5 months I make parties for my friends with titles:"South American (mostly Chilean) wines from my collection", "Australian and New Zealand wines from my collection", "Italian wines...", all tasted with Riedel Vinum Extreme series glasses.

I also contributed to the upcoming Serbian release of "1001 Wines You Must Taste Before You Die"

The next party should happen at the end of April, or beginning of May and I have dilemma will it be "Californian wines" or "South African wines" party.

Of course - you're all invited. ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 01:28:34 am »
Hm, I think you can use this app for wines as well ;)

As for your invitation: I do not think I will get to visit Serbia this spring, but thx for inviting :)

buah

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 01:42:47 am »
Well, maybe you don't know what you're missing ;)

You're welcome, whenever. Just let me know.

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:16:55 am »
Thanks for the link, nostra ... as it happens, I'm enjoying a subtle little Scotch called Balvenie right this very moment, that I just picked up the other week at Trader Joe's. I only started drinking Scotch regularly a few years ago, and when I did, it was generally Johnnie Walker Black, Green, Gold or Blue (tried Red once, and vowed "never again!"  :P), because I'd never tried a single malt that I liked. But then I realized I'd just never tried a good single malt. I'm liking Balvenie a lot. In fact, I've been having pretty good luck with the last several brands, as long as I stick to 10-year-olds or older.

As far as the Canadian whiskys and American whiskeys (with an "e"), I still enjoy a glass of Crown Royal or Gentleman Jack. Although in a pinch, I'll drink JD, Jim Beam or Maker's Mark.

And then of course there's always rum...  8)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 08:15:33 pm »
Balvenie Doublewood is actually one of my favorites. Blends such as Johnnie Walker do not have the complexity of good single malts in most cases and they are just too mainstream for my taste. The same with American bourbon whiskeys.

If you like Balvenie you would probably also enjoy Dalwhinnie, Clynelish, Jura, Glenkinchie etc. (the last two have more honey notes though and Clynelish has a kind waxy taste ;)

Offline Data1001

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 02:06:52 am »
Recently tried Dalwhinnie 15-year-old single malt, and while it's definitely not a bad drink, I found it too typically "Scotch-y" tasting for my palate. I keep going back to Balvenie Doublewood, but maybe because I spent so many years drinking mainstream-tasting whiskeys like Crown Royal and Gentleman Jack.  8)

I will definitely check out the latter 3 you mentioned at some point, though. One never knows when one will discover a favorite new beverage!

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 04:01:12 am »
Actually, I have changed my preferences to more peat intensive malts such as Talisker and Caol Ila. Peat really widens the palate and makes it more interesting.

anything