English > Talk

Which player do you use

(1/4) > >>

buah:
I mostly use GOM Player for several years (beside MPC Home Cinema).

Pros:
-The only player with I can make 720p to run on my old desktop, beside other well known advantages and tweaking possibilities.

Againsts:
- Too small fonts for skins, and that is not adjustable.
- No playing file info - regarding its location (dummy?).
- Playlist should be with more capabilities.

I think I'll give it a try to The KMPlayer.

rick.ca:
Get serious. Get J. River Media Center.

I don't know which of those mentioned, if any, will use CoreAVC. My understanding is it's a big help to older systems trying to handle HD video.

Hyomil:
I haven't tried J. River Media Center yet, but KMPlayer now has a ton of options.  I use BSPlayer for screenshots because its the only player I've found that enables you to frame-step backwards as rapidly as forward.  This is due to, when you frame-step forward, all the frames are stored in RAM, so you can instantly step back through them to pick the best frame.  Some other players enable backward-stepping but they're either slow or only step back to the previous keyframe.  (I use the ShuttleXpress jog-shuttle rather than the keyboard to make it even faster.)  You can also configure it to save both the timecode and the frame number in the filename of the screenshot.

buah:
Yes, you're right. CoreAVC helps to handle HD video, but for me only in combination with GOM Player, used as an external filter.

rick.ca:

--- Quote ---Yes, you're right. CoreAVC helps to handle HD video, but for me only in combination with GOM Player, used as an external filter.
--- End quote ---

Which is why the claim any standalone player is good solution because "it plays everything" (as very commonly said about VLC) is misleading. The only way to play all video with the best video and the best audio for the devices you have available is to use the Windows filter system—with whatever filters are required in the circumstances. MC supports that, as well as allowing you to use whatever player you want, by file type. It can get complicated and very frustrating to configure properly, but that's what you need to do if you want quality.

All this may be unnecessary, of course, if you're just playing video on a PC with a crappy sound system. But many people today want to play anything they find on the Internet to a Blu-ray on a home theatre system. I don't think any standalone player will cut it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version