Author Topic: Export Template: Simple List (Rich-Text) (Microsoft Word Document)  (Read 6337 times)

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
This export template generates a compact list of the movie titles in your database. Current sort order is kept. The list is exported as formated Rich-Text (.RTF) and can be opened, edited or printed with Microsoft Word, for example.

Line format:
ID.  Movie Title (year)  (genre) (filesize, codec, languages)

You will always find the newest version attached to the last post of this thread...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:14:55 pm by svenne »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Export Template: Simple List (Rich-Text)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:24:23 pm »
Thanks! I suppose I don't need to understand it, but I was surprised at the amount of "stuff" in the template.

I note that it would not be difficult to modify this to delimit the fields with tabs. Then Word could convert the result to a table. I might prefer to export to CSV and import to Excel to create a tabular report, but some will prefer this method.

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:10:50 pm »
Yes, Rich-Text is complicated, but in the end it's a markup language like HTML.
If someone's interested and wants to know more, here you can find the specifications:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140277%28office.10%29.aspx

I didn't program that from scratch of course. I would have gone mad!  ;) I exported a draft in Word as Rich-Text file, did some modifications and copied and pasted the appropriate parts to the template.

I note that it would not be difficult to modify this to delimit the fields with tabs.
That's quite simple, even without changing the template, just use the search and replace function in Word:
Search for ") " and replace with ")^t"
If you want to exclude the bold font type for that (to ensure movie titles with parenthesis stay without tabstops), you can do so: In the search and replace dialog click on the format button and choose "Font", where you can advise word to search and replace only text that's not bold.

It also should not be that complicated to export to Rich-Text as table directly. The only thing I cannot export to a Rich-Text file are the posters, because they would have to be embedded directly into the file. External image files don't help here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140283%28v=office.10%29.aspx#rtfspec_24

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 10:50:58 pm »
The only thing I cannot export to a Rich-Text file are the posters, because they would have to be embedded directly into the file.

We'll try to contain our disappointment by remembering we can use one of your splendid HTML templates to do that. ;D

Offline svenne

• Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Export Template: Simple List (Rich-Text) (Microsoft Word Document)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:12:32 pm »
Well, thanks for your plaudit!  :)
I added support for episodes to this template now. They will be listed beneath the corresponding main entry in smaller font size.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:23:08 pm by svenne »

anything