Author Topic: Problem with .old file  (Read 5434 times)

Offline org

• View Profile
Problem with .old file
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:10:07 pm »
First of all I want to praise this great program and to thank the authors for their efforts! ;)

Further, why I started the topic ...
I recently downloaded this program and am currently in the process of creating a database. I have a problem, the third time I start from the beginning, when I save .pvd upon restart occurred to me that the file becomes. Old and the program can not open it. I started in parallel to keep the 2-3 files that I was sure that I will not have from the beginning to make the database. If I had not done this I would be at the beginning. Is it a bug or something else? Why is this happening?
I ran 0.9.9.21 version on WinXP
I apologize for the not so good English ::)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with .old file
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 07:24:55 pm »
Welcome, org.

An .OLD file is a temporary file created as part of the backup/restore routine. Backup is designed only to make one version of backup for the current database in a compressed archive. If you Restore a backup, it replaces the current database—which is not necessarily what you want. I recommend not using Backup at all—for any purpose. It's faster and more effective to simply make a copy of the database in Windows Explorer (or use File>Save as from within the program). This can be done at any time (whether the program is running or not), and allows you to name the copy so it's clear what version it is.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 09:52:30 pm »
This can also happen if an error acquires while opening the database, so PVD assumes the file has an old unsupported format and renames the file.
What exactly are you doing to reproduce the problem?
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline org

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 05:03:28 pm »
I did not even use the backup / restore so that it can not be a problem.

This can also happen if an error acquires while opening the database, so PVD assumes the file has an old unsupported format and renames the file.
What exactly are you doing to reproduce the problem?

Probably this is a problem, because it appeared an error when starting the program, and then could not open the file. Before that I only used the File> Save as, it is not improperly closed a program or something else.
That's why I turned here, I have a collection of about 15,000 movies, so it wouldn't be good if something happened to me when I come up with a larger number of entries. Now I stood at around 130, and wait to see.

Otherwise, the program meets all my expectations really! ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:06:02 pm by org »

anything