Author Topic: Media Count and Type fields  (Read 6394 times)

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Media Count and Type fields
« on: December 11, 2010, 05:02:46 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a massive number of movies and TV shows, mostly in Xvid (AVI) format, stored on recordable DVDs. When scanning them into PVD (either with the automatic disc-insertion detection, or with Tools/Scan Folders), PVD always considers the physical medium when setting the Media Count and Media Type fields. That is, Media Count is always set to "1" and Type is set to "DVD5".

I would much prefer it if PVD could be set to consider the files instead of the physical media. Suppose the DVD-R in question has a movie split into two 700MB AVI files (as is common on the 'Net). When that movie is imported, I'd like to see Media Count set to "2" and Media Type set to "AVI file".

I really don't care to track what kind of physical medium the files are stored on, because I know it's on DVD-R (it is my collection, after all!). But I do like to keep track of the number of files associated with a given movie, and the fact that it's an AVI (as opposed to an MPEG, M4V, a Video DVD, etc.).

As it stands now, I always have to change the Media Count and Type fields by hand after scanning the files, which really gets to be a chore. Anything you could do to automate the process would be much appreciated.  :)

Aimhere

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Media Count and Type fields
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »
Is it not possible others may want to use Media count/type/name for it's intended purpose, while also wanting what you're asking for? It seems to me this should be a request for File count/type fields that are populated on media scan.

But I do like to keep track of the number of files associated with a given movie, and the fact that it's an AVI (as opposed to an MPEG, M4V, a Video DVD, etc.).

It's not clear from this what you're really after. AVI, M4V, MKV, etc. are container formats and have no bearing on what's inside them. I'm not sure what difference it makes what kind of container the media is in or how many are used. Note that you can filter on container type using Advanced search (of the extension in File path).

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:30:07 am »
Is it not possible others may want to use Media count/type/name for it's intended purpose, while also wanting what you're asking for? It seems to me this should be a request for File count/type fields that are populated on media scan.

Yeah, a "File Count" field would be more appropriate. I've only been using "Media Count" because there isn't a "File Count" field.

But I do like to keep track of the number of files associated with a given movie, and the fact that it's an AVI (as opposed to an MPEG, M4V, a Video DVD, etc.).

It's not clear from this what you're really after. AVI, M4V, MKV, etc. are container formats and have no bearing on what's inside them. I'm not sure what difference it makes what kind of container the media is in or how many are used. Note that you can filter on container type using Advanced search (of the extension in File path).

The "container" matters because I want to keep track of how many of my movies are AVI files (which are only playable on computers and certain DVD players) and how many are Video DVDs (which play everywhere).

When doing a file scan on new AVI movies stored on recordable discs, PVD insists on setting the "Media type" to "DVD5". And in my mind, "DVD5" doesn't reflect the computer-centric nature of the AVI/Divx/Xvid formats. So, I change it to "AVI File". All of my Video DVDs, in contrast, are entered into the database by "New Movie Master", and I set their "Media Type" to "Video DVD" myself. This way, to get a quick count of how many movies are in which format, all I have to do is go to the menus and choose "View/Group By/Media Type". (The "Media Type" tab on the Statistics window works as well.)

Using Advanced Search, as you suggest, is less convenient, as I'd have to do a search for file paths containing ".avi", look at the count of "visible" movies, then do math (ugh) to figure out how many Video DVDs there are. The "group by media type" method just works better and faster... as long as I have "Media type" set properly on each movie.

My methodolody is simply a matter of making the AVI movies stand out from the DVD movies in my records and statistics-tracking.

I suppose I could create a custom "format" field for AVI vs. Video DVD... but it wouldn't work with the Statistics tool, nor with the Multiple Movies Editor. And I really don't want to have to go back and set a custom field value for thousands of movies that don't already have it, one at a time!

As for tracking the number of files involved with the AVIs, well, you kinda got me there.  ;D  It doesn't really matter, but I've been doing it this way since I started building my database, so why stop now?  ::)

Aimhere
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 03:16:22 am by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:52 am »
The program is unlikely to be changed to accommodate your unconventional use of the Media type field. Until a File type field is added (not likely soon, if ever), you might consider adapting Quality to your use. You can set it using MME, and it won't be changed by the program if the files are rescanned. In version 1, you'll have more options. The MME works with all fields, or you could forget about using a separate field entirely and just use a saved advanced searches to filter movies based on file type.

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 03:58:57 pm »
...you might consider adapting Quality to your use. You can set it using MME, and it won't be changed by the program if the files are rescanned.

Hmm, I hadn't considered using another existing field like "Quality" for this purpose, but now that you mention it, it's a really good idea. It's not like I use "Quality" for anything else (I'm much more likely to put any quality-related remarks in the "Comments" section).

Once version 1 does come out, I'd probably switch to a custom field, but for now, I think this will work.

Thanks Rick! :)

anything