English > Feature Suggestions

Vote: Features for 0.9.9

<< < (2/39) > >>

nostra:

--- Quote ---My remaining votes went to the following three items, and I would like to express more directly what I'm hoping for. Now that I've created a database I'm very pleased with, my interest is shifting to making the best possible use of the information. For me, the ability to use the program in a home theatre environment (i.e., viewing at 3 metres, using a remote control) would offer the greatest improvement to it's utility. The addition of a typical Media Centre-like "theatre view" is far too much to ask, and is probably not exactly what I'm looking for anyway. I'm hoping the interface customization features will be implemented in a way that will allow me to create my own PVD "theatre view" that includes as much information as possible—enlarged to readable size. The result would not only allow me to select a movie for viewing (as media centre software would—based on attributes, covers, etc.), I would be able to see most of the movie information, read a review, etc.

--- End quote ---

I plan to enable such functionality with customizable views as I need it myself ;) I think I'll make some kind of skins engine working with xml files where you can define positions, sizes, colors etc. for different UI controls.

--- Quote ---A fundamental feature that sets PVD apart from others is the handling of people in a proper relational database. I think it would be wise to highlight this by offering a third panel or pop-up that shows the (complete people view) information for any person selected in movie view.
--- End quote ---

A small piece of information is already displayed when you hover over a person with a mouse. I could add some additional fields in these hints, but displaying all the persons information along with movie would be pretty difficult as there is not enough space in the window for this. An extra popup window  could be a solution thou, I'll play with this idea a bit...

--- Quote ---Well, okay, it's not a new feature, but... On behalf on new users, I would like to vote for any improvements that will make import/export routines easier to use. The obvious thing that comes to mind is the ability to read headers of input files and present a field mapping dialog populated with the fields found. Many potential new users are going to have existing data they are very attached to. Even though the existing routines are effective, some are not going to even try PVD unless they see a clear and easy path for converting/importing their existing data.
--- End quote ---

A good point. I'll certainly try to make import easier to use in 0.9.9.

mntzion2000:
Greetings,

I requested to have the grid view, I have become very accustom to using this feature, its quick and easy to view the poster and info of multiple movies at a glance in either alpha or numerical order.

12joey:

--- Quote ---I plan to enable such functionality with customizable views as I need it myself Wink I think I'll make some kind of skins engine working with xml files where you can define positions, sizes, colors etc. for different UI controls.

--- End quote ---
Customizable views would be very useful, for exampe I would like to have a feature to define the ciriteria movies of an actor are sorted in the people view. At the moment they are sorted by year, but how about sorting by Rating or by Alphabet?

rick.ca:

--- Quote ---Customizable views would be very useful, for exampe I would like to have a feature to define the ciriteria movies of an actor are sorted in the people view. At the moment they are sorted by year, but how about sorting by Rating or by Alphabet?
--- End quote ---

See the Sort by and Group by items on the View menu and the list pane context (right-click) menu.

rick.ca:

--- Quote ---I think I'll make some kind of skins engine working with xml files where you can define positions, sizes, colors etc. for different UI controls.
--- End quote ---

Is this going to be user-friendly enough for those of us who go brain-dead in face of anything vaguely resembling code? I suppose I'm thinking of my experience with other "skinnable" software. It rarely makes any difference to me because I don't believe I have the ability or patience to create my own skin. Note I'm speaking from complete ignorance. Perhaps a skin specified as an xml file is the sort of thing I can figure out by following an example or template.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version