Author Topic: IMDB Rating not filling-In automatically  (Read 35123 times)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: IMDB Rating not filling-In automatically
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 08:55:46 pm »
Please stand by. I will prepare a fix asap.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline korbenPL

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 09:34:29 am »
We know you will that's why we like you ;)

standing by

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 01:18:25 am »
Fixed.

Offline Draven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2010, 01:47:53 am »

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2010, 05:37:30 pm »

Works very nicely, thanks!

buah

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 08:37:25 pm »
I tried everything, I think: from assigning every given type of field to it, via naming it even "Please God, Now"(:)), via reading whole forum for a solution and updating every possible plug-in, template and skin, to trying to got it on a several different computers, but I definitely couldn't manage to retrieve data for a Top 250 rank. Oh, yes, and I tried to get it for a movies from Top 250 :) - The Shawshank Redemption, The Godfather, etc

After having a problem with retrieving IMDb rating and finding solution for it in this topic, the only logical next step were to post about my problem just here, in this very topic. That's because "If I did everything properly, than it has to be something with updating IMDb plug-in", I thought. If I misread something, I sincerely apologize, otherwise will deeply appreciate any help.

Cheers

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:31 pm »
I'm surprised the "Please God, Now" didn't work, but it really does seem to be broken. Maybe by the same website change that broke the rating, but wasn't noticed. I wonder if we can devise a test to determine whether the plugin is fully functional at any point in time.

buah

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 11:58:36 pm »
Rick,
I'm surprised the "Please God, Now" didn't work

Actually, the one could say that it worked - telling me it is nothing between Him and me.  :D

Tnx for a fast reply. Meanwhile, I noticed that, for example, I can get proper data and/or it's meant format for "IMDB Tech Specs" only if I assign "Memo" field type to it. If I assign "Long Text" field type to it, I get something like this:

The question is: Is there any suggestion is it better to assign "Number" field type to a custom "IMDb Votes" and "IMDb Top 250 Rank" fields, rather than "Short Text" type, or it is irrelevant at all? What is your experience?

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Cheers

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2010, 01:55:47 am »
I think the last update to the plugin broke custom fields. They can no longer be selected in the plugin configuration, and previous settings are lost. Do you see the same thing?

nostra? :'(

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 02:07:58 am »
I think the last update to the plugin broke custom fields. They can no longer be selected in the plugin configuration, and previous settings are lost. Do you see the same thing?

nostra? :'(

Can't confirm that. Could you check at what point exactly does it go wrong on your system?

Is there any suggestion is it better to assign "Number" field type to a custom "IMDb Votes" and "IMDb Top 250 Rank" fields, rather than "Short Text" type, or it is irrelevant at all? What is your experience?

You should assign a Memo field for Tech Specs to make it display properly. For Votes and Rank the Number type is optimal as you gain a possibility to sort and filter by these fields in a wright way.

buah

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 02:45:28 am »
They can no longer be selected in the plugin configuration, and previous settings are lost. Do you see the same thing?

If the question is for me, I'm not sure what "previous settings" are, cause I've tested it only since last two days on a single entry - "Shawshank", trying to retrieve any following data step-by-step, before I hit "Silent-import~5500-movie-entries-imported-from-MS Excel", and until now that was the only issue I couldn't resolve by myself.

Actually, there is another issue I noticed, but I assume it's not a proper topic for it (it's about media type not retrieving info when importing data from a network share, or from a mapped network drive). I'll post it later. It's not of such an importance at the moment, I guess.

Cheers

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2010, 03:57:10 am »
Can't confirm that. Could you check at what point exactly does it go wrong on your system?

Sorry. I must have had the wrong plugin selected when I checked the configuration. :-[

But I can confirm what buah has observed. To be a little more specific, the plugin is saving NULL to the selected rank field—any existing value is deleted.

buah

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 08:16:17 am »

You should assign a Memo field for Tech Specs to make it display properly. For Votes and Rank the Number type is optimal as you gain a possibility to sort and filter by these fields in a wright way.

Thank you.

To rick: Now I know what you meant. Unfortunately (or it's not?:)) I never had any value other than NULL, since I started to use it from scratch :)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 05:33:32 pm »
I'm surprised the "Please God, Now" didn't work, but it really does seem to be broken. Maybe by the same website change that broke the rating, but wasn't noticed. I wonder if we can devise a test to determine whether the plugin is fully functional at any point in time.

Quick sanity check for rating:

if ( Rating = FloatToStr(StrToFloat(Rating)) then
 we have a usable rating
else
 the script is broken or you need to check if there is a reason there is no rating...not enough user ratings submitted for example

Test:
  Rating = '', conversion results in '0.0' ... not equal, bad rating
  Rating = 'some text value', conversion results in '0.0'...not equal, bad rating
  Rating = '1.0', conversion results in '1.0', equal, good rating

With a bad rating value, the script should not even attempt to add one to the database.  In silent mode there isn't much that can be done, but a showmessage('rating not acquired...' + reason ) could be displayed in 'user' mode. 

Any time a valid value is 'missed', it should be considered that the parsing may need to be done at a lower level.  For example:
<td>rating</td>
changes to
<td class='rating'>rating</td>
If you were using <td> as the start of text indicator, then you'd consider using <td, then parse until you found the matching '>', at which point you'd have the start of text position, you could look for the text termination character sequence.

Writing this type of code for every value is possible, but very time consuming, and since code (to my knowledge) is not sharable between program (ie. #include common_routines.psf) you'd have to change every program that used it when changes were made.  When you consider the shear volume of code involved in this project, it's easy to understand why this hasn't been done.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 08:03:04 pm »
I was thinking along the lines of a brute-force user test. Like downloading a set of reasonably static records that covers all data types, exporting everything to text, and then comparing that to the previous test to identify any new errors or omissions.

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »
I've only learned 2 things as a programmer that are generally applicable to life.

1) Not every problem can be fixed with technology
2) Status quo is often the best solution until a permanent solution has decided upon

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 10:36:50 pm »
But I can confirm what buah has observed. To be a little more specific, the plugin is saving NULL to the selected rank field—any existing value is deleted.

I'm still hoping this will be fixed.

buah

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 09:12:16 pm »
Until then, I'm importing posters and covers. :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »
Update: Sometime after my last post, I "discovered" the votes and rank were being updated in some movies and not others. Investigating further today, I find the one movie that made me think that was the case had somehow had an incorrect URL added (it was for a TV production of the same name that had no votes). Now I'm unable to find a movie that will not update properly, so I have to conclude the problem was with the bad URL, not the plugin.

Is anyone else still having a problem getting votes and/or rank?

buah

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:10 am »
I never had a problem with votes. I just imported data for an empty entry "12 Angry Men". Still no rank. To be precise it's not null, but it got value "0" (zero).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:46:34 am by buah »

anything