English > Development

Kroozbox - PVD to media theatre solution

<< < (3/27) > >>

rick.ca:
Here's a rationale for title use: Some movies acquire a "popular" or "common" title in addition to their official original title. PVD provides for both, but they have a broader use. Title is used in the movie list, and may be changed to anything that makes it easier for the user to find the movie (e.g., an original foreign title translated to the user's language). If used in this way, original title (if available) will be displayed in the information card. So the appropriate use in Kroozbox would be to use title on the main page—since the purpose is to find movies—and perhaps original title for the title tag. On the details page, the original title (if available) could be used instead of title—since the movie has been found.

BTW, I haven't forgotten...

--- Quote ---I still need to do some code cleanup and mostly the documentation for configuration and templates building
--- End quote ---

...I've been able to make some changes, but it's sort of hit and miss when I don't understand what's what. It does look very organized, however, so I expect modifications will be straightforward once the documentation is done.

rick.ca:
Would you happen to know if I should be able to access Kroozbox from VLC media player? I've been trying to figure that out, thinking it might provide a more realistic simulation than a browser.

Nono:

--- Quote ---Would you happen to know if I should be able to access Kroozbox from VLC media player? I've been trying to figure that out, thinking it might provide a more realistic simulation than a browser.
--- End quote ---

Well you can surely stream the http of a movie to VLC (open stream->put he URL of the movie as specified in the movie detail page). But to use VLC as a front end - I doubt that there is an HTML browser in VLC (???). You should be able to get VLC to be the streamer of the movie when selected from the browser/movie detail page but I am unsure on how to do that. More a OS/browser/vlc config. I tried (a little) without success. I'll give it another shoot.

Please update to version 1.1. Link:
http://rapidshare.com/files/153628498/Kroozbox1.1.zip

Added search capabilities to the front end (by actor and movie name).
I didn't change the "original title" to the "title" in the template. For me the original title is more important. You can always change it in the template of course (as describe above). However, the movie search will dig the "original title" and "title".

I'll work on the template documentation this week (I should have the time). And I'll let you know.

Thanks.
Nono

rick.ca:

--- Quote ---I doubt that there is an HTML browser in VLC
--- End quote ---

I'm sure you're right. I saw a references to it having a "UPnP client" and a "HTTP server" so I imagined it might display Froozbox, but I think it just displays files it finds in a playlist. That's rather pointless. I still need a way to make the files play in their associated player, rather than the browser (which, BTW, has the VLC plugin—which obviously doesn't help). Wait a minute! That's my problem. The VLC plugin was trying (and failing) to play the file. Now the only problem with playing a file is Firefox had to "download" it, and my virus scanner has to scan it... ::)

--- Quote ---Added search capabilities to the front end...
--- End quote ---

The search capabilities are fine—and I'm able to work them with my remote—but they seem kind of out-of-place in a theatre interface. I suppose my bias is as indicated before—most operations should be possible with a few direction key and select/enter presses. If possible, you should increase the font size used in the search boxes to at least the same as used elsewhere. And a nice embellishment would be to not require accented characters—so "leon" finds Léon, for example.

Nono:

--- Quote ---And a nice embellishment would be to not require accented characters—so "leon" finds Léon, for example.
--- End quote ---

HOuuuu.. that's a tough one. I'm trying to be as generic as possible related to database access. All the SQL requested are within the templates (as you may have seen). If you look in S4 and T4 you'll see that even to get to the level where diacritics are recognize was not easy (damn.. looking at it, I just realise that I forgot to put the COLLATE UNICODE on the movie search template - S4-6 - something to fix. grr). I understand your request (and agree with it) but unless there is something in SQL that I don't know, it won't happen.

I'll try to adjust the font aspect/size for the search. My issue here is really with the media box that doesn't always respond well (or the same as the browser) to HTML syntax.

I didn't tried very hard to look at Kroozbox for a web interface for PC. I'll try to see what can be done for VLC integration.

Cheers.
Nono

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version