Author Topic: Accessing the Database directly (read only)  (Read 13932 times)

Offline spec2309

• View Profile
Accessing the Database directly (read only)
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:05:16 am »
Hi,

I've read that you use Firebird for storing the movies and people data. Is it possible to read (not write!!) the data directly throught ODBC for instance?

In addition, I would like to have the possibiliy of developing more kind of plugins (i.e. not related to import/export). For instance "visualization" plugins, "reminders" plugin, "statistics" plugin,etc.

Thanks

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Accessing the Database directly (read only)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:44:51 pm »
I've read that you use Firebird for storing the movies and people data. Is it possible to read (not write!!) the data directly throught ODBC for instance?

Yes, you just need to have an appropriate ODBC driver installed.

In addition, I would like to have the possibiliy of developing more kind of plugins (i.e. not related to import/export). For instance "visualization" plugins, "reminders" plugin, "statistics" plugin,etc.

I planned to implement for abstract plugins engine. I can't tell when exactly it will be available, but I am pretty sure I'll do this some time.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline spec2309

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 03:35:41 pm »

Yes, you just need to have an appropriate ODBC driver installed.

Thank you for you quick answer!  :)  Do I need some username and password to open the database? or do I just leave them empty ?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 03:38:51 pm »
It depends on driver you are using. Some of them work if you leave user name and password empty. If it does not work try these:

username: SYSDBA
password: SYSDBA

or

username: SYSDBA
password: masterkey

Offline cwdean

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:25:26 pm »
Hello,

I'm fairly new to PVD but am really enjoying the application.  I'd like to learn more about the database and possibly extend it's functionality based on some ideas I have.  However, I can't seem to find any schema information on it.

As suggested in a previous post, I installed an ODBC driver (from here http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=files&id=odbc) but cannot seem to make a successful connection to the database.

Can you give me a brief outline on how to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

-CD

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:05:33 am »
You need a client application to use the driver and connect to the database. Just google for it.

Offline cwdean

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 04:38:40 pm »
You need a client application to use the driver and connect to the database. Just google for it.

With the ODBC driver installed you can still Test the connection.  Connections fail when configuring the driver to connect to the PVD database.  However, in addition to this, I have installed and attempted to connect to the database using the following clients:

• Firebird Maestro
  • Interbase & Firebird Development Suite
  • DB Workbench Lite
  • IB Easy

All of which say they cannot connect to the database.  I get a similar message from each client, something like "unsupported on-disk structure".

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I really appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,
CD

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 08:22:50 pm »
There should be an option if embedded server should be used which needs to be selected.

Offline cwdean

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 09:56:35 pm »
There should be an option if embedded server should be used which needs to be selected.

Nono recommended JDBStudio as a possible Firebird client since it is free, but with it I am still getting the error.  Nowhere am I able to find a connection option to indicate an embedded server.  Which client are you using?

Thanks for your help!

Offline cwdean

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:11:03 pm »

Disregard my post above (although I'd still be interested in knowing which client utility you are using).  With the trial version of Firebird Maestro I was able to find the option for indicating connecting to an embedded database, and then I was able to connect just fine.  Thanks for steering me in the right direction  :)

anything