Author Topic: multiple movies editor enhancement  (Read 13562 times)

Offline cwdean

• User
    • View Profile
multiple movies editor enhancement
« on: February 02, 2009, 04:38:38 pm »
I just discovered the multiple movies editor feature.  I was actually looking for this functionality to change the Wish status to 'Not Owned" for multiple movies.  I was a bit disappointed to see that you can't do that with the multiple movies editor today.  Could this feature be added?

This is particularly important for series data.  Right now, since adding a Series downloads ALL seasons (even those we may not own), it would be nice if I can change the status for an entire season from Owned (default) to 'Not Owned'.  Right now, unless I'm wrong, you have to change the Wish checkbox for each episode manually :'(  If this were part of the multiple movies editor, this would be a HUGE time-saver  ;D

This functionality would be great for the Seen status as well.

Let me know.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 04:43:20 pm by cwdean »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: multiple movies editor enhancement
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:50:22 am »
Multiple movies editor strikes again! It makes your heart soar—until you realize it doesn't include the field you want to edit. :'(

To add insult to injury, it causes you to miss things like this: You can select multiple episodes (in the same season) and change the seen or wish status by using the commands on the Movies menu. ;)

As for Multiple movies editor, it would be nice if it would include all fields that might not be unique, but then it would still not include custom fields. I often wonder if it would not be better if it were just a simple dialog where you could select any field (regular or custom) and enter a value. Very rarely do I change more than one field at a time, which seems to be the only advantage to the current implementation. Also, it would be nice if the value box would include a drop-down showing all the current values of the selected items (i.e., whether or not they are list fields). Even if the new value is to be none of these, it's a convenient way to confirm exactly what is being changed.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:50:43 pm »
As for Multiple movies editor, it would be nice if it would include all fields that might not be unique, but then it would still not include custom fields. I often wonder if it would not be better if it were just a simple dialog where you could select any field (regular or custom) and enter a value. Very rarely do I change more than one field at a time, which seems to be the only advantage to the current implementation. Also, it would be nice if the value box would include a drop-down showing all the current values of the selected items (i.e., whether or not they are list fields). Even if the new value is to be none of these, it's a convenient way to confirm exactly what is being changed.

I'll consider implementing this as it sounds pretty convenient for a user and pretty easy to implement for me.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline cwdean

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:02:15 pm »
Multiple movies editor strikes again! It makes your heart soar—until you realize it doesn't include the field you want to edit. :'(

To add insult to injury, it causes you to miss things like this: You can select multiple episodes (in the same season) and change the seen or wish status by using the commands on the Movies menu. ;)

Now that's disheartening...somebody added this feature while my back was turned  ;)  Seriously though, thanks for pointing this out to me.  After being informed, I played with it in 0.9.9.4 beta and it worked perfectly.  In 0.9.8.20 the behavior wasn't consistent (i.e. the flag didn't always appear checked even though I highlighted multiple movies and selected 'Wish - Not Owned' from the Movie menu).

Good suggestion.

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 06:38:36 pm »

I'll consider implementing this as it sounds pretty convenient for a user and pretty easy to implement for me.

That does sound much more flexible than the current editor. Although, I have to say that I do use the Multiple Movies Editor to change several fields all at once.

My workflow is like this: I have a lot of movies in .AVI files, stored on DVD-R's. When I scan the discs and import the movies into PVD, the program always sets "Media Type" to "DVD5" ('cause they're stored on single-layer DVD-R's). And the "Media Count" field is left blank.

What I want to do is change "Media Type" to "AVI" (actually I use a more descriptive string, but let's call it "AVI" for the sake of discussion) AND "Media Count" to reflect the number of files each movie is broken into (most used to be "2" since that was the original number of files as I found them, but more likely to be "1" nowadays). And while I'm at it, I change the "Media Location" value as well.

I can easily do this now in the current Multiple Movies Editor, but the above proposal would require three steps (one for each field) if I understand it correctly.

Oh well, can't have it both ways, I guess? I do still like the proposal, though.

Aimhere

buah

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 08:54:40 pm »

Damn! I knew I couldn't describe what my suggestion was, and now Aim dug it for me with this very topic. This suggestion:
2. Is there any opinion on adding extra group operation to PVD ... that could be performed on a multiple movie selection to fill in custom made checkbox. is meant to fully complied with Rick's and Nostra's opinions quoted above.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:01:46 pm by buah »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:20:09 pm »
Oh well, can't have it both ways, I guess?

I suppose it could have multiple edit boxes, but I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Most edit updates only take a second or so—entering the edits consecutively is not going to change the process much. All that's required is for the window to stay open until dismissed. Or even better, if it consists of just a field selector and an edit box, it can be implemented as a menu bar (like the current search bar).

An "edit bar" would also be a welcome alternative for editing just one field in one record. It would be significantly easier to use in many cases than the present method of putting the whole record in edit mode and then scrolling to the field. I have long wished for the ability to put one field at a time into an in-place edit mode (invoked from the context menu), but I think an edit bar would be a more practical, unified solution.

Offline Stevest

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:08:56 pm »

Yes, it would be great to have the ability to edit all the fields (regular and custom) in Multiple movies editor (e.g. Language field).

buah

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:39:06 pm »
Quote from: rick.ca
Most edit updates only take a second or so—entering the edits consecutively is not going to change the process much.

A few days ago I decided to create a collection of "1001 Movies You Must See before Die". I got a y2007 list on the internet, and I think I already have about 700 movies.

It scares me the fact that I'll have to click 700 times for ctrl+E, 700 times to slide down the slide bar, 700 times to check or to choose or to paste or, the worst, to type "1001 Movie You Must See before Die" in a custom defined field. Plus, 3x301 upon completing collection...

But, do not have any doubt I'm stubborn and persistent. Knowing nostra so far, there must be a good reason for not implementing such an obvious advanced and benefit option as full multiple editor is.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:27:30 pm »
Every dynamic behavior where there is no known maximum state is difficult to implement, so such stuff takes time, but I am sure there will be a better multiple movies editor in the version 1.

buah

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 08:41:13 pm »
Thank you for an immediate answer nostra.

What I want you to know is that there isn't and there won't be a not implemented feature in PVD that'll depreciate me from using it. Time taken by couple of thousands clicks is nothing compare to the time of yours you spend, inlay and gifted to us through PVD. You already spared me at least a year of my life with ability of fast importing and gathering my movie collection in a place - PVD.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:44:08 pm by buah »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 08:57:43 pm »
It is really nice to hear, buah :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:17:00 pm »
MME is not the right tool. Create an importable version of the list—and import it along with a value to indicate where it "came from." Doing so will create new records where they don't exist, and tag existing ones so you know they're on the particular list. For example, I imported "1001 Movies" to my custom field Recommended by.

buah

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 11:55:17 pm »
Unfortunately, it's not so easy. There are a lot of movies from "1001" list which years don't match IMDb's years. Not to mention differences in titling. I'm sure you noticed that.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 12:41:06 am »
I did that in December 2008, so I don't remember exactly how easy it was. Maybe I synchronized the titles in Excel first (for those that exist in the database). More recently, I did the same thing with the Criterion Collection. I think that was a simple import, although I vaguely remember cleaning up some duplicates afterwards. In neither case do I recall any unusual difficulties with IMDb searches. The only way to eliminate the need for those, of course, is to include the IMDb URL in the import. Attached are my Excel worksheets, in case those help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

buah

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 01:18:48 am »
Thanks rick. Criterion collection to create is nice idea too.