Author Topic: Bulk Import Images to PVD from PC?  (Read 42218 times)

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
Bulk Import Images to PVD from PC?
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:15:17 pm »
Hi,

I have a bunch (1000s) of custom videos which I have loaded into PVD. I have a cover/screenshot of every video saved as JPEGs in a folder on my desktop. Each image has the same name as its source video.

Is there anyway I can import these images in bulk into PVD to their repective videos?
Possibly a script? I'm not familiar with writing scripts...

Offline Reset

• View Profile
Re: Bulk Import Images to PVD from PC?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:36:56 pm »
Hi,

I have a bunch (1000s) of custom videos which I have loaded into PVD. I have a cover/screenshot of every video saved as JPEGs in a folder on my desktop. Each image has the same name as its source video.

Is there anyway I can import these images in bulk into PVD to their repective videos?
Possibly a script? I'm not familiar with writing scripts...
It is possible to load, using a script (plugin). How to make in another way, I do not know.
I can make a script, but there are questions:
- What version PVD?
- The image is a poster, a cover or a screenshot?
- To one film one image or a several?
If the version 0.9.8.20 it is possible not to answer questions 2 and 3: loading only one poster is accessible from a script.
Excuse for my English.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:42:39 pm »
PVD Version: 0.9.8.20
Technically the images are screenshots (the images are the first frame of each video).
I just need to pair one image with each video in the database and would like the image to display as what I guess would be the "cover" image in the default view in PVD (under the title of the video).

I am going to need eventually use PVD on a server. Would this script work in that environment too?

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:16:20 pm »
In the end, I guess I'm going to need a script that will either extract all the metadata from the video files (WMV and MP4) and pair it with a thumbnail then create a MySQL file that can be imported into PVD.

I have a program called GSpot which I am currently using to extract the metadata from the video file, and another program called VideoCharge which I am using to get a screenshot (cover image) from the video files.

The GSpot metadata extractor I have exports the metadata in a CSV file. I have simple script that will remove the columns from the CSV file that I don't want. I then import the CSV file into MS Excel under headers and import the Excel file into PVD. But I have no way of getting the correct cover image files to pair up with the correct video in PVD.

Is there a way to write a script that will do this all automatically in a couple clicks?

This seems very convoluted and involved for the amount of files I'll be processing in the future. Is it possible to write a script that will either:
A) use the two programs I already mentioned to pair the correct cover image with the correct metadata for each video and compile this information in a MySQL database for PVD import?
or
B) write a script that will extract the metadata and cover image itself and compile this information in a MySQL database for PVD import?

If anyone could help me out in either writing a script that would do this or pointing me in the right direction, that would be great.

I can provide the info for what metadata I would like extracted and more details about my project if anyone is willing to take on this endeavor.

I'm all but clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff...

Thanks!

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 09:55:22 pm »
PVD Version: 0.9.8.20
OK. I will make loading of one your screenshot in poster field.

Technically the images are screenshots (the images are the first frame of each video).
I just need to pair one image with each video in the database and would like the image to display as what I guess would be the "cover" image in the default view in PVD (under the title of the video).
The field in the program under title is intended for posters. Screenshots, cover and disk image are located after the technical information on a movie. See first and second screenshots on a screenshots page.

I am going to need eventually use PVD on a server. Would this script work in that environment too?
If that works PVD, I think, the script will work also.
Excuse for my English.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 10:15:54 pm »
Thanks a lot!

If I were to get someone to write a bigger completely automated script like I describe in the previous post, how long do you think it would take? Is that even possible?<br><br>

In the end, I guess I'm going to need a script that will either extract all the metadata from the video files (WMV and MP4) and pair it with a thumbnail then create a MySQL file that can be imported into PVD.

I have a program called GSpot which I am currently using to extract the metadata from the video file, and another program called VideoCharge which I am using to get a screenshot (cover image) from the video files.

The GSpot metadata extractor I have exports the metadata in a CSV file. I have simple script that will remove the columns from the CSV file that I don't want. I then import the CSV file into MS Excel under headers and import the Excel file into PVD. But I have no way of getting the correct cover image files to pair up with the correct video in PVD.

Is there a way to write a script that will do this all automatically in a couple clicks?

This seems very convoluted and involved for the amount of files I'll be processing in the future. Is it possible to write a script that will either:
A) use the two programs I already mentioned to pair the correct cover image with the correct metadata for each video and compile this information in a MySQL database for PVD import?
or
B) write a script that will extract the metadata and cover image itself and compile this information in a MySQL database for PVD import?

If anyone could help me out in either writing a script that would do this or pointing me in the right direction, that would be great.

I can provide the info for what metadata I would like extracted and more details about my project if anyone is willing to take on this endeavor.

I'm all but clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:21:16 pm by lilhill »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum, lilhill.

I understand you're talking about custom videos, but I'm otherwise completed baffled as to why you might want to handle them this way. PVD uses MediaInfo to automatically extract video file information. Is there other metadata in your files that GSpot extracts that MediaInfo cannot? If so, how did it get there? PVD includes a screenshot maker (and 0.9.9 an automatic screenshot maker, although it presently works only for AVI's). If you want to include your existing screenshots, I suggest you consider using them as posters—which don't otherwise exist for custom videos.

Reset, if you're willing to write a script, it should be done in a way that it would be versatile and benefit the most users. This is something that some of us have wanted for some time. My suggestions:
  • If you're only going to do one version, it should be one for 0.9.9.
  • Match image files first by video filename, then by Title (or Title + Year) if there is no video file.
  • Allow the user to specify the image type to be saved as—poster, cover or screenshot. This could be done, of course, by using three different scripts. If that's to much trouble, then I think most users would want this for posters.
  • Add the imported images, rather than replacing existing images. If the script can't handle multiple images per video, it could still be run multiple times on different image file sets.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 10:30:04 pm »
I have a program called GSpot...

I removed your separate topic which was a duplication of this post. Sometimes starting a separate topic is a good idea, but duplication is not. Let's see where this one goes first.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:33:09 pm »
Hi Rick... Thanks for the welcome!

I'm working on a project which might be very large in a few years. Soon I'll be loading many video clips into PVD. These clips will be anywhere from a few seconds to hours long. The database will continue to grow and grow.

I was not aware of the MediaInfo program (?) or the screenshot maker. Unfortunately the very large majority of the files I'm going to be dealing with will be WMV and AVI. Any idea when the screenshot maker will be able to accommodate other file types?

As for the online part, I am going to need to collaborate with other people about the videos and video clips. I will also need them to be able to add/remove/edit information in PVD as well.

I guess the script that Reset is willing to make will work quite well in integrating with PVD and pairing the correct poster with the correct video.

How do I go about running MediaInfo to extract metadata from the custom files?

Thanks for your help!
Sorry for the duplicate.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:36:31 pm »
I've got to go to work. I'll be back in about 4 hours to check in and answer questions. Maybe sooner.

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it!

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 10:43:36 pm »
Thanks a lot!
Early ;).

If I were to get someone to write a bigger completely automated script like I describe in the previous post, how long do you think it would take?
I don't know.

...Is that even possible?
Feasible all :). But I will not start this job.
Excuse for my English.

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 11:10:44 pm »
Reset, if you're willing to write a script, it should be done in a way that it would be versatile and benefit the most users. This is something that some of us have wanted for some time.
I completely agree.

• If you're only going to do one version, it should be one for 0.9.9.
For pictures I usually make two versions. For version 0.9.8.20 loading only one poster because of functional restrictions of a scripts engine. For version 0.9.9.5 loading of any quantity of any images is possible (now I work with prerelease of the fifth version given nostra for development). In version 0.9.9.4 one image of each type will be loaded.

• Allow the user to specify the image type to be saved as—poster, cover or screenshot. This could be done, of course, by using three different scripts. If that's to much trouble, then I think most users would want this for posters.
Idea good. Usually I add options in a script. But I will begin with posters.

• Add the imported images, rather than replacing existing images. If the script can't handle multiple images per video, it could still be run multiple times on different image file sets.
I think, addition will be in version 0.9.9.5. Or now in plugins. Now the problem consists in the program, instead of in scripts.
Excuse for my English.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 11:34:51 pm »
If I were to get someone to write a bigger completely automated script like I describe in the previous post, how long do you think it would take? Is that even possible?

Everything is possible, believe me ;) The "problem" is that pretty everything except retrieving existing images is already there in 0.9.9 beta and it seems like Reset is going to write a script for images, so you will be ready to go pretty soon.
The improved screenshot maker and networking support will be available in the next beta which is coming out this weekend to 99%.

Reset, if you're willing to write a script, it should be done in a way that it would be versatile and benefit the most users. This is something that some of us have wanted for some time.

Consider an XML format making all possible fields available. You will make patch and probably a number of other users happy this way ;)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 11:37:15 pm »
I was not aware of the MediaInfo program

It's the DLL used by the program to read video file information when it scans them. Are you not seeing any such information (in the separate section toward the bottom of the video panel)?

I guess the script that Reset is willing to make will work quite well in integrating with PVD and pairing the correct poster with the correct video.

Yes. And on an ongoing basis, I expect you'll be able (in 0.9.9) to use one of your automatic screenshots as a poster in a one-step operation.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 11:48:02 pm »
I think, addition will be in version 0.9.9.5. Or now in plugins. Now the problem consists in the program, instead of in scripts.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean there is a problem in the program which prevents a script from adding additional images?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 12:02:23 am »
I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean there is a problem in the program which prevents a script from adding additional images?

Yes  ::)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 12:14:46 am »
Okay. We'll just wait for that to go away. ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 12:18:57 am »
Okay. We'll just wait for that to go away. ;)

Not before you teach me how to produce self fixing bugs :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 12:42:50 am »
Not before you teach me how to produce self fixing bugs

Ah, but there is no need. Each time you create a bug, the fix is simultaneously created deep within your subconscious mind. This, of course, is why you are able to "see" a future in which the bug does not exist. So it's really just a matter of allowing the miracle to happen. The rest of us, however, have to suffer the illusion of time until the bug and its fix converge. This might be too much to bear—if it weren't for 0.9.9.5 being released this weekend. 8)

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 02:54:34 am »
So I guess I've started a small wildfire...

Is the best suggestion to wait until this weekend? Is the new beta definitely coming this weekend?

Does the new beta support the extraction of thumbnails/posters from any type of video media file (WMV and MP4 specifically)

If this new beta is coming out this weekend, does that mean the script Reset is going to make will be obsolete in 4 days?

I guess Reset's script won't be obsolete if the new beta will only take thumbnails/posters from AVI files and not any other video media types.

This is getting confusing really fast...

anything