Author Topic: Bulk Import Images to PVD from PC?  (Read 42210 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Bulk Import Images to PVD from PC?
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 03:26:27 am »
Is the best suggestion to wait until this weekend?

I suppose that depends on what you are waiting for, and why. It sounds like there are improvements coming that should interest you, but then there are considerable improvements already available in 0.9.9.4. As long as you take the recommended precautions, there's no reason not to run a beta and 0.9.8.20 at the same time. Then you can make your own decision as to which to use on a regular basis. (You probably don't want to run two databases "in parallel.")

It may not be a good idea for you to rush in switching to 0.9.9.5. Allow a little time for more experienced users to discover if there are any significant problems. On the other hand, if you can't wait, you could try 0.9.9.4 right now.

From the comments Reset has made, I assume his script will work in both beta versions, and he plans to write a separate one for 0.9.8.20.

I'm still curious... Is PVD not extracting the same information from your video files that you have been getting with GSpot?

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 03:55:53 am »
I updated to 0.9.9.4. The automatic metadata extraction is awesome! I had know about that, the last week of my life would have been a lot less stressful. I hope that the new beta coming this weekend will have support for creation of thumbnails from any video media type. Thank you nostra!

I didn't mean to convey that GSpot finds/extracts any metadata that PVD doesn't. PVD does just as good of a job. Both find everything there is to be found.

I guess I'll wait for other people to feel out 0.9.9.5 before I update to that and use Reset's script as it seems like it will work very well.

Reset, do you know when your script will be available? (I don't know how long these things take)

One quick question. Do I have to import the list of titles and the paths of the videos (via Excel or CSV file) into PVD before I can read the video file info for the metadata, or is there an option to scan a folder, add the videos, and read the video files all in one fell swoop?

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 05:45:35 am »
...next beta which is coming out this weekend to 99%.
It's very attractive news :D. But I'm afraid even to hope. I wait and afraid, afraid and I wait :).
Excuse for my English.

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 06:04:48 am »
If this new beta is coming out this weekend, does that mean the script Reset is going to make will be obsolete in 4 days?
Is the best suggestion to wait until this weekend?
From the comments Reset has made, I assume his script will work in both beta versions, and he plans to write a separate one for 0.9.8.20.
I think, the script should work and in the new version.

Reset, do you know when your script will be available? (I don't know how long these things take)
If necessary the first version can be accessible, when you will return today from job.

One quick question. Do I have to import the list of titles and the paths of the videos (via Excel or CSV file) into PVD before I can read the video file info for the metadata, or is there an option to scan a folder, add the videos, and read the video files all in one fell swoop?
See Tools -> Scan folders for new movies/changed paths...
It will scan files, add them in a database and load the information from the Internet. Perhaps, it a little will help you.
Excuse for my English.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 03:24:34 pm »
Thanks for the info, Reset...

Just let me know when the script is ready and I'll give it a test run... I really appreciate your efforts!

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 09:11:52 pm »
Sorry for a delay.
I have meet the certain problems connected with loading of local files from a script.
I have set corresponding questions to nostra. The further actions will depend on its answers.
As I have given the promise to make a script, that, probably, I should make a plug-in.
As with plug-ins I yet did not work, the decision will be postponed for some days.
Excuse for my English.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 10:22:33 pm »
The decision about the plug-in will be delayed for a few days or the decision about the script will be delayed for a few days? Do you think the script will be completed earlier?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 01:06:18 am »
Regardless of exactly what Reset means, it's clear he needs input from nostra, and we know nostra's priority right now is to get 0.9.9.5 ready for release. I suggest you assume he's on task, and whatever the solution, it will get done in due course.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 01:14:33 am »
Oh, I see... I wasn't aware that nostra was actually working on 0.9.9.5! Thanks for letting me know. I'm looking forward to the script and the update...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:18:25 am by lilhill »

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 05:57:33 am »
The decision about the plug-in will be delayed for a few days or the decision about the script will be delayed for a few days? Do you think the script will be completed earlier?
The script cannot be finished in current versions PVD (nor 0.9.8.20 nor 0.9.9.4) because of program limitations. Nostra promised to correct defects to days off. As far as I understand, in version 0.9.9.5 of restrictions will not be.
For script creation the new version of the program which will appear in a few days is necessary. For creation of a plug-in I need a few days to understand  ;).
Excuse for my English.

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 10:19:16 pm »
I wish all to afflict upset. In current versions PVD I could not achieve necessary functionality. I have exhausted all variants (script and plug-in, 0.9.8.20 and 0.9.9.4).
If nostra not give a hint, simply we wait the new version.
Excuse for my English.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 10:23:20 pm »
Ok... Thanks for your efforts Reset!
Hopefully the new version will do the image extract automatically for any type of video...

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 10:40:25 pm »
Does the new beta support the extraction of thumbnails/posters from any type of video media file (WMV and MP4 specifically)
Hopefully the new version will do the image extract automatically for any type of video...
With what types of video files you have problems? Versions 0.9.8.20 and 0.9.9.4 fine take screenshots from formats wmv and avi.
Excuse for my English.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2009, 10:53:56 pm »
I'm mostly working with WMV and MP4 (primarily WMV though).
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I was unable to get posters/screenshots from the WMV files. I'll try again later tonight.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2009, 11:09:08 pm »
With what types of video files you have problems? Versions 0.9.8.20 and 0.9.9.4 fine take screenshots from formats wmv and avi.

This is my fault. I recalled nostra saying "only AVI," but he actually said...

It works pretty good for AVIs, but not for DVDs and Matroska files... (actually this feature dows not work with these formats at all currently :( )

...so you're right—either existing version should work fine for lilhill's WMV and MP4's.

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2009, 11:34:47 pm »
I'll give it a try after I get off of work tonight. I didn't even look into it because I thought it wouldn't work. If that works then I don't think I'll need Reset's script, though it might be useful to others!

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 07:57:28 am »
I'll give it a try after I get off of work tonight. I didn't even look into it because I thought it wouldn't work. If that works then I don't think I'll need Reset's script, though it might be useful to others!
OK. If at you all turns out, I will change priorities of the workings out.
But, I think, the promised plug-in all the same I will make. It can be of use to beginners with already existing selection of images on a disk.
Excuse for my English.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2009, 02:07:34 pm »
But, I think, the promised plug-in all the same I will make. It can be of use to beginners with already existing selection of images on a disk.

That would be much appreciated.
Importing graphics files from near the movie file is one of the functions needed to implement tag functionality in PVD.
The components of which are:
Export text field data (Attempt described here http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=870.msg2535#msg2535)
Export graphics data to a file near the movie
Import text field data from a file near the movie http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=904.0
Import graphics data from a file near the movie

Unfortunately the meta data can't be written to the movie file as mediainfo.sourceforge.net will not support tag writing in the foreseeable future. http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1695277&forum_id=297609
The exporting functionality maybe useful to interface to other media players
http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1002.msg2707#msg2707
http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1254.0
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 02:09:05 pm by patch »

Offline lilhill

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2009, 02:43:58 pm »
Reset, the thumbnail/image creation definitely works for WMV. I didn't try MP4. The only problem I have with this is that you have to do it manually for each video file. I have 1000's of videos. Will the script/plug-in that you make be able to do it automatically without having to click through for every video file?

If it had an option to select the first frame (or whatever frame the user would like) of every video and put it in the "poster" field (or whatever field the user would like) in PVD, that would be awesome!

Offline Reset

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2009, 04:17:47 pm »
That would be much appreciated.
Importing graphics files from near the movie file is one of the functions needed to implement tag functionality in PVD.
If it had an option to select the first frame (or whatever frame the user would like) of every video and put it in the "poster" field (or whatever field the user would like) in PVD, that would be awesome!
Oh.
I will try to consider all your wishes.
But, please, do not forget, that the developer of the program is unique nostra. I will readdress some questions to him.
Besides, I ask to appreciation that fact, that I'm engaged in developing of scripts and for Russian part of forum.

2 patch: Thanks for a collating.
Excuse for my English.

anything