Author Topic: Can't Change The Colors in The New Version  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Rockrancher

• View Profile
Can't Change The Colors in The New Version
« on: July 17, 2009, 04:01:16 am »
I recently updated to the new version 0.9.9.11. My old database converted just fine except for the colors. The List colors were correct but all other fields and backgrounds were at the default colors. I went to Tools>Preferences>Appearance but the only options are for changing the List colors. I tried reinstaling the new version from scratch but still the same. I tried installing the new version on a different computer with the same results. Since no one else seems to have this problem maybe I'm just not looking in the right place to change the colors.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Change The Colors in The New Version
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 05:54:24 am »
Welcome, Rockrancher.

Background colors are set in the skin. You will find the default skin at C:\Program Files\Personal Video Database\Skins\Movies\pvd_classic_movie.xml. Open this in a text editor and search for "color." You will see the statements setting the colors for each of the "sections" (e.g., <color>$E0ECFE</color>). Use a color picker like this one to get the hex code for the color you want to use.

Offline Rockrancher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 02:40:57 pm »
Thanks! That just about did it although I can't say it was as user friendly as previous versions but I appreciate your help.

I did run into one problem though. I tried to change the customsection color and that didn't change in the database.
Also I couldn't figure out how to change font colors. Is that an option anymore?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 07:39:18 pm »
I can't say it was as user friendly as previous versions

You can't say being unable to change anything but background colors and some fonts is user-friendly either. I agree editing XML is not much fun, but now we have complete control over the appearance of the panel. (It helps to use something like XML Notepad for editing XML.) For example, global fonts and font attributes are set in the <labelfont> and <fieldfont> sections. They can also be set on individual items...

Code: [Select]
<fieldname>
   <font>
       <name>Calibri</name>
       <size>16</size>
       <color>$FF0000</color>
       <bold/>
       <italic/>
    </font>
</fieldname>

I tried to change the customsection color and that didn't change in the database.

As a "catch-all" for custom fields which haven't been explicitly placed elsewhere in the skin, customsection is likely to behave differently. Even if you want all your custom fields shown together, I recommend defining them explicitly in a regular section—so you can have control over their appearance and placement.

anything