Author Topic: Theater View Skin  (Read 15777 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Theater View Skin
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:47:56 am »
If I can get over my fear that I might be asked to explain how I did what I did, I'll post my own creation
You do not need to fear. I can explain such things if needed.

obsessive trial and error
Sounds cool  ;D

I'm finished obsessing. Nostra will now explain my skin to anyone who cares. ;D

This has become my all-purpose skin. I tried to strike a balance between a theatre and desktop view so I wouldn't have to change skins. I regularly use the same monitor (22") for desktop and remote control video viewing (from about 10'). It's a compromise, but it works. I haven't used tabs because it's easier for remote viewing to scroll in one pane, and to expand/collapse all fields. I've programmed my remote to access menus and to set filters various ways.

The data comes from IMDb and a modified version of the AllMovies script. Category, studio, tags, description, review and most other custom fields are populated by AllMovies. The documentation for the script (at the link) indicates what goes where.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline darichman

• User
    • View Profile
Re: Theater View Skin
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 03:30:48 am »
Yoink

;)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:25:17 am »
A little known urban fact... Yoinking also assumes all responsibility for maintenance. I look forward to your improvements. ;)

Offline darichman

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:32:01 am »
Ah, but it's so near perfect as it is... ;D

Would be good to create multiple custom boxes for different types of fields... is that allowed?
I'll make like nostra and add this to my "to do" list ;)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:36:42 am by darichman »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:58:10 am »
Nice work, Rick.

Would be good to create multiple custom boxes for different types of fields... is that allowed?

Of course
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:32 am »

As nostra would say, anything is allowed... As many "sections" as you want, with borders and/or different colors. Both standard and custom fields can now be placed anywhere.

The hardest part for me is following the structure of the XML. Using XML Notepad helped me maintain some sanity.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00:29 pm »
Nice work, Rick.

Thanks, nostra.

A few details I couldn't figure out...

1. I use the standard Tags field for "Tones". It formats items as links. I thought it would look better if it looked the same as Category field below it. I was able to change the color using linkcolor1, but could not remove the underline. It seems that can only be done globally—so I tried that, but it didn't work.

2. Changing the fonts on the Awards and Connections tree nodes.

3. Some collapsible fields (e.g., genre, tags and categories are the one's I've noticed) don't always respond to Expand/collapse all fields. I hadn't noticed that in this skin until recently, and I don't yet see any pattern to it.

And I could really use a new feature to help with my trial and error approach to coding—a Reload skin button on the toolbar. And maybe a counter so I can monitor my obsessiveness. ;D