Author Topic: Language/Original Language  (Read 5696 times)

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Language/Original Language
« on: April 29, 2010, 08:27:00 am »

I was looking at my stats for languages and found out that most of my movies had no "language" information.
 However when looking at movie records I found a field called "Original language", and most of my movies have this info properly filled in.

If you look at the screenshot you'll see that I have two "undefined" groups for languages. In these group, the movies have an "original language" filled in. I guess it is not recognised as being the "language" field.
 These "original language" informations are coming from imdb by the way, using the plugin.

Also if you look at the example you will see that the original language is Bengali but it is in the "afrikaan" group. I guess this means that there is in that record a "language" field, not shown on the movie card, containing "afrikaan" value.

How can I make this "language" field appear in the movie card? how can I check it is in the record? Do you know why it is called "original language"?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Language/Original Language
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:08:59 am »
The grouping is by the langs (languages) field found in audio streams. No grouping is provided for the origlang (original language) field. Movies can only be selected by original language using Advanced Search. I don't know why it's that way. I don't have any objection to audio stream languages being groupable and searchable, but the original language is clearly more relevant to a database of original movies (i.e., media information is secondary).

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:04:34 am »

OK thanks that makes sense now, even though it is rather surprising.

Maybe Nostra could add that to his TODO list (sorry Nostra, more work  :-\) ?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:13:49 pm »
The thing is that at the beginning there was no such field as original language. This field was added much later and I did not bother adding grouping capability for it (and no one asked for it until now)...
I'll add your suggestion to my TODO list.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!