Author Topic: upgrade advice  (Read 11935 times)

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
upgrade advice
« on: June 04, 2009, 05:47:36 pm »
i have downloaded a new version of the database, but i want to know wot i have to copy from the older version so i can get them to work ,
thanx

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: upgrade advice
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 06:03:41 pm »
Make a backup copy of your .pvd file (and images if they are not stored in the database) and install the new version. Normally, you do not need to do anything else.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 08:39:55 pm »
When installing a new beta, I'm very cautious—I backup my installation, configuration and data, and then install the new version to a different directory. This time, since 0.9.9.9 is "released," I threw caution to the wind and installed it "on top" of 0.9.9.8. It worked flawlessly—as it should. All I had to do was disable a few plugins and scripts I don't use.

Just to be clear, I always backup my database and configuration prior to installing any new version. I prefer to backup the database by making a copy of it in Explorer, since this is faster and not dependent on the program for restoring it. Note the configuration file (pvdconf.ini) is saved the Windows "application data" directory.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:58:57 pm by rick.ca »

Offline Joe.au

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 04:53:59 am »
I have just downloaded the latest PVD 0.9.9.10, saved it and then installed.  However it does not appear to have done anything.  I can still see version 0.9.9.9.  I thought it was to quick to have installed anything.  I have tried it twice now and Windows Vista Home Premium ( Which is what I am running) tells me that the program did not seem to install correctly and if I would like to install it again with the settings required -  I said yes and nothing happened.  Any suggestions please.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:16:41 am »
It's not you (or me!). Something is wrong with the files that were posted. I'm afraid we'll have to wait for nostra to finish his damn sleep.  ;)

Offline Joe.au

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:22:56 am »
It's not you (or me!). Something is wrong with the files that were posted. I'm afraid we'll have to wait for nostra to finish his damn sleep.  ;)

Phew, thanks rick,  for a minute there I thought .............  don't begrudge him - the poor guy has been working very hard on this PVD, me thinks....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:24:44 am by Joe.au »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:50:56 pm »
Fixed. Feel free to download the files.

P.S. I recommend to clear browse cache to prevent it from getting the old version of the files

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:51:41 am »
thanx for all ur help, i have done a backup of the files PVD , but when i open it nothing , and when i put into a alternative machine nothing again, i want this program to be totally portable as it was before

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 12:55:02 pm »
How do you open the file? Where is PVD located? (HDD / UDB Stick)

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:09:14 pm »
iopen it by clicking the icon in the folder which is on a usb datastick

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 01:12:41 pm »
How do you expect windows to know that it should start PVD to open this file when you double click it if the application is not installed?
Portable applications do not associate files with them. You need to use File -> Open from PVD itself to open files.

Offline phoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2009, 01:53:00 pm »
yeah everything is installed on the usb stick, the program starts no problems, but when i import the PVD file into the directory it just doesnt see any of them at all

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 02:04:24 pm »
Please, just select in main menu Database -> Open, select your database and click "Open"