Author Topic: Grid View Dead?  (Read 11621 times)

Offline jvic

• View Profile
Grid View Dead?
« on: June 05, 2009, 09:59:36 pm »
Is Grid View dead, or will it be making an appearance in the new version?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Grid View Dead?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 10:09:52 pm »
It's not dead. I just moved it to my my TODO list for 1.0. I do not guarantee anything, but I still plan to implement it.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline duke97

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:14 pm »
The grid view feature would be very useful, please be sure to implement it in the next release....!

Offline MilesAhead

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:37:15 am »
The grid view feature would be very useful, please be sure to implement it in the next release....!

I wouldn't mind gridview, but for me, right justified ID would be just as good. Anything that gets the curve out of the movie Title stack that happens when you use "%N  %T" in title preferences.  Whichever way is easier to program.  The grid probably has the most appeal afa users go.
"How come we don't know the I.Q. of the guy who invented the test?"

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:20:41 am »
I wouldn't mind gridview, but for me, right justified ID would be just as good.

I was laughing at the idea Grid view could be replaced with a title list formating option. Then it occurred to me...

For those who have never experienced Grid view, it's a completely separate view, as in Movie view, People view, Grid View. But why not replace the title list with Grid view? The splitter could be used to adjust the width of the pane to show just the title column, or to 100% for a full Grid view. The most useful view would be somewhere in between. Grid view allows columns to be presented in any order, so one could display ID (right-justified, of course!), title, year, duration, rating, etc. and still have room to display a full movie panel. This would allow quick sorting on any of the visible columns by clicking on headers.

I suppose difficult challenge in this might be finding a way to merge the existing tree view/grouping and series handling into Grid view. The idea loses considerable appeal if the existing title pane has to be retained to handle these things.

And while I'm dreaming... this would also go very nicely with some sort of People pane. This would make all the information in the database available from one display—eliminating the need to switch views. It would make it easier to actually use the "relations" in our relational database —by making it possible to see people along side the movie they're in, and to use the links in either to navigate.

This would be a dramatic change, but I think it would be a killer combination—worthy of a "1.0" introduction. 8)

Offline MilesAhead

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:13:34 pm »
I think I went around about this 8 or 10 months ago.  The "grid view" was before my time.  So I never got to see it.  The natural assumption would be similar to a "show grid lines" option in any list.  If this super duper alternative works I'm all for it.  :)

This is almost taking on mystical status as an article of faith.  Like, that there was a Dos 1.0 at one point.  I've never seen it though. :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:17:54 pm »
The natural assumption would be similar to a "show grid lines" option in any list.

No, think "spreadsheet"—rows are movies and columns are fields. According to Wikipedia, the term has an accepted meaning as a GUI element. That's the context in which it's used here. Not quite "mystical." You'll have to wait for "holo view" in 2.0 for that. ;)

Offline MilesAhead

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 01:17:24 am »
It's mystical in that it's purported to exist, but hasn't been seen.  At least, not by me. Man!! What a marathon just to align a column!! Sheesh!! :)

Offline nosh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 08:42:56 pm »
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Ha Ha! I think the warning message says a lot! Guess there's no point asking. I thought Grid View was a priority feature, guess Twitter and a gazillion other things got preference. :(

Anyway, it's good to know the program is alive and kicking, will give it another try if/when the elusive grid view finally makes an appearance.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:20:17 pm »
If you're really interested in influencing development, a positive suggestion would be more effective.

Offline nosh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 05:34:43 am »
A little subtle sarcasm never hurt anyone.  :D

I'd written about the program on a software forum and you can see it was one of my favorite features.
I can't help feeling a bit aggrieved about grid view being cursorily taken away, yes I realize the author did have a good reason for doing it and yes, he doesn't owe anyone anything but I've been visiting the forum for years now hoping for it to make a comeback and it's a bit frustrating... so sue ban me!  8)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 07:49:42 am »
A little subtle sarcasm never hurt anyone.

No, but denying yourself the use of what has remained the best application in its class for the last two years hasn't done you any good. ;D

And as someone who would like to see Grid View return, I fail to see how any amount of sarcasm helps the cause.

Offline nosh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 08:46:00 am »
No, but denying yourself the use of what has remained the best application in its class for the last two years hasn't done you any good.

Presumptuous. But your zeal is understandable, maybe I'll be as enthusiastic once certain features *cough* are added back. :)

I fail to see how any amount of sarcasm helps the cause.

Which does not necessarily negate the fact that it might.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 09:36:58 am »
Presumptuous? Perhaps a little. But I knew if you had been using something comparable, you would have been compelled to tell us about it. So, thanks for confirming PVD remains the best. Sadly, I suppose this means there's no compelling reason to add Grid View...  :'(

Offline nosh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 10:42:20 am »
Presumptuous? Perhaps a little. But I knew if you had been using something comparable, you would have been compelled to tell us about it.

Presumptuous!  ;D

Sadly, I suppose this means there's no compelling reason to add Grid View...

Oh you're the project manager?!!
I'm sorry, I took you for just some guy who's been hounding this forum so long he's got to have the last word on everything.  :-[

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 11:26:07 am »
You had it right the first time. I like sarcasm too.