Author Topic: Site Advisor  (Read 6065 times)

Offline doust

• View Profile
Site Advisor
« on: June 08, 2009, 07:33:33 pm »
Rick, my anti virus (MacAffee) has you down as a site not to be trusted, I have now become a tester and told them you are a good site but it would be worth your while to look into this link as there is a box for your comments buddy.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/videodb.info/

We do not want to lose people joining due to this :)

Chris

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Site Advisor
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 09:40:37 pm »
Thanks for pointing this out. What to do about it is up to nostra. I'm just a user, like you. But I can't resist commenting... :-X

The actual warning is:

When we tested this site we found links to bestfreewaredownload.com, which we found to be a distributor of downloads some people consider adware, spyware or other potentially unwanted programs.

Guilt by association with a site judged to guilty by association with software a visitor might be stupid enough to download even though they don't want it. How pathetically silly and patronizing of McAfee! I'm sure they know this, as well as the fact this "service" is useless and unnecessary. If their software is any good, it will protect users from such malware anyway. McAfee is clearly more interested in earning fees from fearful and ignorant than they are in being helpful. It seems they are at least as cynical as the likes of bestfreewaredownload.com—but on a much grander scale. >:(

I offer nostra the same advice I did here. I fear doing anything to accommodate this goofiness would only encourage more of the same. Yes, it concerns me we'll lose people due to this, but I can be philosophical about that. Considering how tightly integrated PVD is with the web, perhaps our limited resources are better spent on supporting those who are not pathologically afraid of it. But I suppose now I'm being patronizing. :-\

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Site Advisor
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:22:54 pm »
Thx, I'll remove links considered untrusted in a couple of hours as I do not really like those sites myself :)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:28:57 pm by nostra »
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!