Author Topic: Adding People  (Read 7409 times)

Offline Two Wire

• User
    • View Profile
Adding People
« on: June 08, 2009, 02:17:13 am »
I have started to add people to the database but have run into a problem.

My proceedure has been to click on a movie title and select a actor from the "Movie Information" page. This action switches to the "People Information" page at which time the name shows up in the list on the left. I then select the name and import the information.

The problem is that this process deletes the actor from the list on the "Movie Information" page. I have to re-import the movie information again to add the actor back to the list.

I'm pretty sure I am not doing this right and would like some instruction. My search turned up nothing useful.

Thanks

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Adding People
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:48:48 am »
Unless you're quite sure adding one person at a time is not going to drive you insane, I suggest you set Show people added from movie credits at Preferences - People. Then people will be added automatically when the movie is added or updated. I further recommend setting Download full credits and From main page only at Preferences - Plugins (IMDb) - Configure. This will limit the number of actors to the first 15 credited (those allowed on the IMDb "main page").

When people are added from movies, no information is downloaded. You still have to do that manually. That can be done as needed or periodically by grouping or sorting people by Date added to isolate those most likely needing a download, or by Last modified to see which ones may be due for an update.

Offline Two Wire

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 03:30:32 am »
Thanks, Rick.ca!

I saw this but was somewhat concerned by the warning message. Not knowing all the ramifications of a action taken, I left that alone and proceeded to drive myself insane. I could see that following this proceedure for every actor I wanted to add was not not my idea of having fun, so I thought I better ask for help before arriving at this destination of insanity.  :)

Offline kuhis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:00:24 pm »
Hello!

I have version 0.9.9.18 from PVD
If i add movies to database, why there is same actors from different movies many time in peoples database?
Sometimes there is two or three movies under one actor, but most of the time there is only one movie under actors info in actors database.
Then there is same person several times in peoples database. Am i doing somethin wrong or is there error in this program?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 06:19:55 pm »
Welcome, kuhis.

What plugins are you using? Are the URL's different? Can you remove the duplicates by running Optimize database?

Offline kuhis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:48:29 pm »
Thank You!

If unerstood right my plugins are Allmovie.com and AMAZON.CO.UK.
What is is URL??? (Im so novice whit this)
I have tried to remove duplcates from Optimize database, but then actors was disappearing from movie database and left at only one movie.
After that i have to import movie infos again from Allmovie to every movie.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:34:21 pm »
There is no people information plugin and therefore no way to get filmographies from AllMovie. All you're seeing in People View are the records created for the credits displayed in Movie View. The program is either unable or doesn't bother trying to prevent duplicates. If you want people information and people records to be properly related to movies without duplicates, you'll have to use the IMDb movie and people plugins for handling credits. You can still use AllMovie for other movie information.