Author Topic: What PVD is missing is...  (Read 32936 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: What PVD is missing is...
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 09:29:06 pm »
...but grayed option means - "merge" maybe?

In what context? In the overwrite field settings, you might call it that. It means new data will be added to the field only if it's currently empty.

buah

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 10:13:51 pm »
...but grayed option means - "merge" maybe?

In what context? In the overwrite field settings, you might call it that. It means new data will be added to the field only if it's currently empty.

Now I regret I didn't make a screenshot what happened a couple days ago. Somehow I got an entry titled: "Out of time: A New Beginning" for an entry that was supposed to be only "Out of Time", and which was "mutant" mix of two subsequent movies in my collection: "Dragonheart: A New Beginning" and "Out of Time". Mutant had both directors, both credits, etc but I FORGOT to check what was the URL. I guess I was too scared my database was corrupted, so I pasted proper URL and overwrote whole record.

For me, that moment was rather twilight second: "Twilight Zone" in a "Split Second" ;)

That's why I used the term :"merge"

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 11:08:07 pm »
Sorry, the program is not supported in the Twilight Zone. ;)

I reported here a case where an erroneous URL was added to a movie record. I have no idea how it got there. Once updated, the movie record became a "mutant." I didn't study it closely, but I have no reason to believe the data from the second URL was not added according to my overwrite rules. In other words, it was simply the result of downloading from two different sources. I don't overwrite my titles—your experience in that regard is very strange.

I can't think of anything I (or any user) might do to cause a second URL—from the same download source—to be added to an existing record. I wonder if it's something the program (perhaps the Optimize Database routine) is doing in an attempt to remove duplicates.

I don't really see how, but I wonder if the file scanner has anything to do with this. If that's how you originally added the second movie, you might try Ctrl-Deleting the record and running the scanner again. I can't suggest what to look for—just observe carefully what it does and consider how you might have responded the first time.

buah

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 02:25:58 am »
Hey, thank you for your great effort to help me, but It wasn't my intention to bother you with what happened. I just wanted to mention the curious case of buah, that came out of time pretending to become a new beginning.
In general, decades of messing up with computers thought me never to ask (myself) why something has happened, but how to overcame the issue. "If you know why, you'll know how" mostly don't work there for me. :D

Not wanting you to think that I was impolite by ignoring your effort, I'll say that it happened during mass online download. What was for sure is that (argh, it's complicated to explain in a few words) Dragonheart was formatted by me like: Title - Dragoneheart, Original title - A New Beginning (don't ask me why, please :-\) and the subsequent "Out of Time" only by it's Title, with empty Original Title. After mass online download in silent mode, I checked entries that were skipped, found suspicious actors (no Denzel in credits) for Out of Time looking at the poster and NOT to a title, experimented then with overwrite plugin options and "Merge Filmography", and in such a way I got two credits lists, after which I raised my eyes to a Title level and the mutant revealed itself in full!

Yes, I know what'll you think. I confess it, all!

P.S. Maybe to spin-off a couple of last post to a twilight zones of Support forum, or even Bug Reports? If you ask me, I'd delete last 4 posts ;D

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 02:45:44 am »
A "Reports from the Twilight Zone" forum is an interesting idea. Do you think I could move messages there without implying the poster's bug is in their head? ;D

buah

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 03:12:02 am »
No need to worry. The bug in the head is always on the move, too quick to follow. The only solution would be faster PVD! (that was an example how to make a spin off of a spin off in order to get back to the subject - What PVD is missing ;D) See?

Good night, need to sleep for couple of hours (ref. - The Machinist)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 10:45:48 pm »
I'm locking this now. Please use descriptive but concise subjects when starting new topics.