Author Topic: Old Database Does Not Work  (Read 51090 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Old Database Does Not Work
« on: July 02, 2009, 07:28:01 am »
I have recently downloaded your new version of personal video database but when I install the program it will not load in my old data base from version 0.9.8.20 which means I have to do the whole database again.Could you please fix this problem :'( :'(

Welcome, moxley.

I'm assuming you didn't intend to post this in Solved Issues. The support here is good, but not that good. ;)

The current version of the program is designed to convert 0.9.8.20 databases for it's use. Please describe exactly how you are attempting to open the database, and what is happening. If you haven't done so already, make a backup of your database first.

Offline moxley

• View Profile
Re: Old Database Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:52:57 am »
 The Same Way I always open the database but every time I open version 0.9.8.20 it gives me an error message then tells me it cannot open the database and  I have over 700 DVD's In that database and I really do not want to restart doing the whole database again unless it is completely nesescery
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:39:40 am »
Just to be clear: You're running version 0.9.9.11. With the File - Open dialog, you select the database file created with version 0.9.8.20. That causes an error message to appear. Does it contain any information beyond the fact it cannot open the database?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:25:50 pm »
Post the exact text of the error message, please.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline moxley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 12:49:45 am »
 I cannot tell you precisely what it reads but the error code is 31 the other stuff is in gobble de gook :'( The other error box reads File is not a valid database Connection Authorisation Failure Error Code 3 :'(. If You want me to I can attach my whole database to the next message and when you have time you can play with it and then tell me your solution as I realy don't want to start again especially with 745 videos to put back in
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 01:06:03 am by moxley »
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 02:54:06 am »
Try running the program with the -portable switch so it will start with a "fresh" configuration file. You can do so by double-clicking on the portable.bat file in the installation directory.

Offline moxley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 07:12:35 am »
 Sorry That Didn't Work Either and I am beginning To Think It Would Be Easier Starting Again by installing the old version of pvd on my computer in a different folder and manually copying the database into the new version.I really don't know what is wrong Because when I try to go back to the old version of your program and type in a new movie it tells me there was a problem with the server and then give me a 1.1 404 : error which means the two places I use for my database which is imdb and allmovies are not found and now I am thinking it is a problem with my computer as the new version connects to both with no problems at all and I do not want to stop using your program as it is one of the best I have found on the web even though I Bought another program on the web called Movie Collector I still prefer using your program.
 I am using Windows XP Media Edition as my operating system with service pack 3 :'(
 Thank you for all your assistance in trying to help me solve this problem  :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 08:32:25 am by moxley »
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 09:40:02 am »
Sorry That Didn't Work Either

I wasn't expecting it to necessarily work. What happened? Exactly, please.

Also, please confirm my assumption about the circumstances of the first error message: "You're running version 0.9.9.11. With the File - Open dialog, you select the database file created with version 0.9.8.20."

You normally cannot open a database in an older version of the program after opening it (or attempting to do so) in a newer version. If you wish to revert to the older version, use a backup of the database that has only been used in that version. But there's not much point in going back to the old version—it's no longer supported. The plugin errors you're getting are probably the result of them not being updated for recent changes in the websites.

Do you have a backup or copy of the original database?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 11:37:15 am »
Send me the database and the file pvdconf.ini located in C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\Personal Video Database\ if you want, I'll take look. You are giving too few information and it is very unprecise, so it is very difficult to understand what is happening.  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 11:40:32 am by nostra »

Offline Darwinek

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:38:23 am »
I'm having the exactly same problem. This bug is serious and it seems to be widespread. I just installed the new version and tried to open old database file in it.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:43:02 am »
Could you provide more detailed information on the problem??? (answer all Ricks and mine questions precisely?)
Could you send me files I mentioned above?

Offline Darwinek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 11:53:12 am »
error:
unsuccessful metadata update
STORE RDB$RELATION_FIELDS failed
attempt to store duplicate value (visible to active transactions) in unique index "RDB$INDEX_15"
This operation is not defined for system tables.
Error Code: 31

8 in 10 times it shows like that, the remaining two it loaded the database but without "custom fields" like "media location", thus it seems those data are lost.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 06:54:06 pm »
Did you use one of the betas before?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 10:02:30 pm »
Curious about the "normal" behaviour for the conversion of a prior version database, I tried opening a backup of my old 0.9.8.20 database. I got exactly the same error. Unfortunately, I can't swear this database was not "touched" by the early betas that seemed to cause this problem, and it's the only backup I've retained.

Perhaps someone else can try the same experiment—on a 0.9.8.20 database that predates the introduction of 0.9.9.x (October 20), or where they are otherwise be sure it's never before been opened in 0.9.9.x.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 10:10:13 pm »
I have tried and it converts OK without errors...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:02 pm »
I have tried and it converts OK without errors...

So how confident are you this particular error message means the database must have been damaged by an attempt to open it in one of the early betas?

I'm wondering what advice we should be offering users who run into this. Something a little more hopeful than, "You should have made a backup!" :-\

Offline moxley

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2009, 01:34:58 am »
 I did make a backup and saved it on a cd but It still doesn't work and to be quite honest with you I am getting the poos with the whole damned thing.By the way do you have an e-mail address so that I can send you the information your require mainly my database and the ini file for both versions
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:09:34 am by moxley »
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2009, 02:15:45 am »
I did make a backup and saved it on a cd

It's starting to look like you may have to hope nostra can repair your database. But it would be very helpful if we could eliminate the possibility this file has ever been opened by any version of 0.9.9. Can you tell from the date stamp on the CD and from your recollection of when you first installed any version of 0.9.9 whether this is the case?

Offline moxley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2009, 04:27:16 am »
The Date On My CD Is 22/06/2009 and yes I have tried every new version you have developed including the betas with exactly the same results which is why  I remained with 09.08.20 but now that doesn't work :'(
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 05:24:06 am »
That's not what I asked. Did you use that database in any version of 0.9.9 before writing it to the CD? The date is so recent, it suggests that may very well be the case.