Author Topic: Old Database Does Not Work  (Read 51105 times)

Offline moxley

• View Profile
Re: Old Database Does Not Work
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 08:58:22 am »
No When I Made The CD I Was Still Using My Old Version Of PVD.I have only recently downloaded the newer version
Just In case you cannot help me I have already started to redo the complete database in the new version.
Thank You for all your assistance
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 10:44:07 am »
When I Made The CD I Was Still Using My Old Version Of PVD.

If that's the case, then this is something nostra is going to have to determine the cause of and fix. When he does, you'll be able to open the old database (freshly restored from the CD).

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 01:30:24 pm »
So is it possible for you to upload the database somewhere, so I can check it???
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline moxley

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2009, 01:52:55 am »
 I have already sent you a copy of my full database to Nostra E-mail address I hope along with the pvd ini file
Michael J Oxley

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2009, 11:13:36 pm »
I have already sent you a copy of my full database to Nostra E-mail address I hope along with the pvd ini file
I did not get your email. Please check if you the email was really sent to admin@videodb.info or support@videodb.info

P.S. I can provide you FTP access if needed
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2009, 11:42:51 pm »
Unless it contains no images, there's not much chance a 700-movie database is going to be within the attachment size limits of most email servers. He'll need to use FTP.

Offline moxley

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 04:41:40 am »
 I have just tried the ftp site you sent me in a personal e-mail and I have to tell you and Nostra that it didn't work as it gave me an error 530 every time I log in using the information you gave me but the main reason I am writing this is to tell you not to worry about my database any more as I have decided to redo it in the new version of your program and again I would like to thank you for all your assistance. :)
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 05:20:40 am »
It's up to you whether to provide the file, but it could be helpful in identifying the what the problem is. Other users could be affected as well.

I'll have to let nostra verify the login he gave you, but the FTP site is working fine. Error 530 just means an incorrect login.

Offline moxley

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 08:43:47 am »
If it helps I will send the database so that you can find out what went wrong.
Sorry the error I got for the ftp server was 550 Directory Not Found
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 08:57:57 am by moxley »
Michael J Oxley

Offline Darwinek

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 10:33:48 pm »
I used 0.9.8.20 version before. Thank God I have one more backup (not opened in the new version), so I am just waiting for some fix/miracle by nostra, so I can open it in new version without problems. :)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 10:44:58 pm »
I am just waiting for some fix/miracle by nostra

Have you sent that backup to nostra so he might determine what the problem is?

Offline Darwinek

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 10:52:00 pm »
Have you sent that backup to nostra so he might determine what the problem is?

I will, just say me how can I do it, the file is about 45 MB large.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:01:12 pm by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 11:04:17 pm »
Nostra will send you instructions. Or if he'd rather I did so, he'll send me instructions—I'm not sure how he manages the FTP access.

Offline rschip2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 03:38:38 am »
I am also having this issue.   I get the same error message:

"ProcVersionChanges ->9009000 -> unsuccessful metadata update
STORE RDB$RELATION_FIELDS failed
attempt to store duplicate value (visible to active transactions) in unique index "RDB$INDEX_15"
This operation is not defined for system tables.
Error Code: 31"

followed by

"failed to open database"

Have you had any luck with fixing the issue?  I downloaded the portable install as well with no luck.

I was  using version 0.9.8.20, tried out beta version 0.9.9.40 (i think), but went back to 0.9.8.20. I backed up my file repeatedly, but the back up I need has been touched by the beta, and won't work.  Two of my older backups work but they are really out of date.  I also have a large library (816).  And i'm not about to start re-entering, so if you have any suggestions let me know.  rschip2@gmail.com
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:41:15 am by rschip2 »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 06:40:54 am »
Welcome, rschip2.

As I understand it, there's no issue to be fixed. Unfortunately, if a database has been damaged by an early beta, then the damage is done and there's nothing the program can do about it. But what do I know... maybe it should detect and repair damage done by bugs in previous versions. 8)

There's still an issue, of course, but I'm not sure what should be done about it. Some like to live dangerously and use their only database in a beta without making backup. More are in the same situation as you—you made backup, but didn't realize your active database was damaged in this particular way for an extended period of time. I've done it myself.

Perhaps the program should be stricter about using databases from different major versions. It could automatically make a backup of a prior-version database before converting it, and refuse to open any database that has been opened in a subsequent version. The same thing could be done for any particular minor revision, if the risk was deemed high enough (e.g., early betas, where "big" changes are being made and bugs may not be found immediately). In hindsight, you would have been better off had you been forced to revert to your original database (i.e., that "untouched" by 0.9.9.x) when deciding to go back to 0.9.8.20.

If it weren't for this particular, perhaps unlikely problem, such precautions might seem like overkill. After all, database formats often change when a major revision is made to the program that creates them—so it's not possible to use the same database in different versions anyway. But it might be an effective way to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. It would also save users from themselves should they be so eager to try a new version they "forget" to make backup. ;)

Offline orgazmo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »
Hi !

I have the same problem under Vista 32 Ultimate.

The -portable to launch the program has been successful but the Error 31 still pops up when I open the Database, I have spent a few hours trying desperately to transfer my old database (0.9.8.20) to the 0.9.9.11.

I unsinstalled 0.9.9.11, reinstalled 0.9.8.20, saved the DB, unistalled 0.9.8.20, reinstalled 0.9.9.11, ran it with the -portable (and tried without), tried to open the untouched DB but still the Error 31 crash.

I have tried the "run as administrator" too

Don't know what to do since the imbd plugin doesnt seem to work on the 0.9.8.20 version...

Thanks for any help ! (and long live PVD)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 08:54:53 pm »
You need a database that was NEVER opened in 0.9.9. Install the new version and use Database -> Open.
The error message you are getting can only come out if you are trying to open a database that was previously open with one of the old betas and got corrupted.

...tried to open the untouched DB but still the Error 31 crash.

Are you suggesting nostra's diagnosis of the cause is incorrect? Have you tried using a backup version you are absolutely positive has never been opened in 0.9.9.x?

Offline orgazmo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 07:21:32 pm »
I am positive, the 0.9.9.11 is the first update I used since 0.9.8.20...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 07:51:14 pm »
Okay, we'll have to wait and see what nostra thinks about this after he returns from vacation.

Just to be clear... Do you get the same error when trying again with a "fresh" copy of your 0.9.8.20 database—one "untouched" by previous attempts to open it in 0.9.9.11?

Offline looneytv

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 03:53:08 am »
I have a similar problem since I installed the latest version. It worked the first time I opened the program but the second time I started getting these errors:

Failed to open database

File is not a valid database Connection authorization failure Error Code: 3

I do have an untouched version of my old database. What can I do to fix it?