Author Topic: Old Database Does Not Work  (Read 50270 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Old Database Does Not Work
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 04:19:35 am »
File is not a valid database Connection authorization failure Error Code: 3

I'm not familiar with that error message, but the wording of it makes me wonder if the program is trying to connect via a server (which won't work unless you have Firebird installed). Do you get the same error message if you Open the database (i.e., using the command on the file menu)?

I do have an untouched version of my old database. What can I do to fix it?

What happens if you make a copy of that, and try to open the copy?

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 07:41:30 am »
Failed to open database

I think I got the same error recently when trying to open a database from a user account that had been opened from an administrator account (actually opened from firebird server running as service which has administrator privileges).

Login as an administrator and try to open the database again, you may well find it works.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2009, 01:55:03 pm »
I am positive, the 0.9.9.11 is the first update I used since 0.9.8.20...

It should not happen when upgrading directly to 0.9.9.11 (I does not in my tests). I'll send you my FTP access login by PM, so I can investigate the problem.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline orgazmo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 04:33:30 pm »
Thanks!

I sure hope that my database isn't fried...

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 05:49:51 pm »
Tell me when you are ready uploading your database...

Offline orgazmo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2009, 06:34:03 am »
I uploaded my database a few days ago.

Offline obi

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2009, 01:16:59 pm »
I got the same error messages. But the circumstances are different. I work with PVD 0.9.9.11 and this is the first installation of the program on my windows xp pc.

1.   start PVD as user1 and create the database MOVIES.PVD in
        <D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\User1\Eigene Dateien\Personal Video Database>
2.   Put some videos in
3.   Close the program
4.   Copy the data base to <D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Dokumente>
5.   Try to open the database with dopple click as user2
        now I get the two error messages:
            Konnte die Datei nicht öffen
            file is not a valid database Connection authorization failure. Error Code: 3

As user administrator I don’t have any problems. So it seems to be a security problem. With the process monitor from sysinternals I found out, that PVD (started as user2) tries to open the file “D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\User1\Anwenderdaten\Personal Video Database\pvdconf.ini”

If I try to open the database <D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Dokumente\ MOVIES.PVD> as user2 with the dialog “Datei -> öffnen”, then only the message “Konnte die Datei nicht öffen” appears.

Why wants PVD to open a file from an other user account?

I hope, this give a hint to solve the problem. I am very interested in a solution. Because in our family each one has his own user account (without administrativ privileges) and the PVD shoud be usable by each family member.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:22:06 pm by obi »

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2009, 02:32:07 pm »
I hope, this give a hint to solve the problem. I am very interested in a solution. Because in our family each one has his own user account (without administrativ privileges) and the PVD shoud be usable by each family member.
+1
Well done. Have the same problem and has been present for some time.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2009, 06:56:00 pm »
Why wants PVD to open a file from an other user account?

I don't know of any specific reason why it wouldn't work, but I wonder if the program is intended to be run using a different configuration file for each user...

What happens if pvdconfig.ini is copied to D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\User2\Anwenderdaten\Personal Video Database?

What happens if the program is started with the -portable switch, forcing it to maintain one configuration file in the program directory?

I'm not sure what impact the location of the database is. To test the above, I would move it outside D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen, and make sure the references in pvdconfig.ini point to the new location.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2009, 11:02:53 pm »
I don't know of any specific reason why it wouldn't work, but I wonder if the program is intended to be run using a different configuration file for each user...

Rick, PVD is recording location information in it's database file. Moving the database to a new user results in it sometimes accessing the old users data (ie uses absolute addresses). This trips an access violation. See http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=969.msg3888#msg3888

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2009, 11:08:53 pm »
Have you had any luck with fixing the issue?  I downloaded the portable install as well with no luck.

I was  using version 0.9.8.20, tried out beta version 0.9.9.40 (i think), but went back to 0.9.8.20. I backed up my file repeatedly, but the back up I need has been touched by the beta, and won't work.

Sounds as if you would have benefited from some warning which hopefully will be available in the future http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1241.msg4759#msg4759

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 12:13:04 am »
Rick, PVD is recording location information in it's database file. Moving the database to a new user results in it sometimes accessing the old users data (ie uses absolute addresses). This trips an access violation. See http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=969.msg3888#msg3888

Thanks, patch. My system is not multi-user, but I'm curious about this. If not a bug, should this not be considered a "design flaw"? I would expect to be able to copy a database file to any system, any location, and still be able to open it. More to the point, if I were in obi's situation, I would expect to be able to create a database in a user-neutral location (i.e., not in a user's "My Documents") that could be opened by any user. I wonder, however, whether that requires using a shared configuration file (by using the -portable switch), or if each user could have their own configuration (by allowing it to be saved in their own application data directory).

Is the issue any different if the Firebird server is used to connect to the database?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 01:10:52 am »
It seems to be some kind of Firebird Embedded problem. The database should open if you use File -> Connect to server instead of File -> Open (of course you will need to install the Firebird server first)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2009, 01:52:12 am »
Is that the only solution, or can the problem be avoided in the manner I suggested. Some might prefer not to install the server if they don't otherwise need it. Also, isn't it still necessary to open the database in the usual way to optimize and create a backup?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2009, 02:02:13 am »
I'll try to fix the problem, but I am not really sure if I can change this behavior from my side. The -portable switch will change nothing in this situation.

Also, isn't it still necessary to open the database in the usual way to optimize and create a backup?

Backup/Restore should work with server connection as well, but I have not checked it.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2009, 02:15:02 pm »
I'll try to fix the problem, but I am not really sure if I can change this behavior from my side. The -portable switch will change nothing in this situation.
I had assumed it was a problem with how firebird prevents multiuser access, thus outside of your control.

With the process monitor from sysinternals I found out, that PVD (started as user2) tries to open the file “D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\User1\Anwenderdaten\Personal Video Database\pvdconf.ini”
Access to pvdconf.ini gave me some hope though as I thought this was more likely to be from PVD than firebird, but I could well be too optimistic.

Offline mumin

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2009, 05:06:36 pm »
Hi to all!  :D

Thank you for a wonderful program. :)

I'm a new user and spent the night adding movies. Then all of sudden today I got the error code 3 message. I found the solution myself while preparing to ask for help here. I thought I'd mention it in case some other newbie has done what I did.

I accidentally had opened two instances of PVD. The old one ran in the tray and I had forgotten about it. That was all.  I'm a happy camper again. :-*

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2009, 06:58:26 pm »
Welcome, mumin.

Thanks for pointing this out. In testing this, I see the resulting error messages are exactly as reported here...

I have a similar problem since I installed the latest version. It worked the first time I opened the program but the second time I started getting these errors:
Failed to open database

Hopefully, looneytv has since figured that out.

BTW, if you'd rather do without the minimize to tray behaviour, remove pvdtotray.dll from your Plugins directory.

Offline orgazmo

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2009, 06:59:48 am »
Hi again !

Thx again Nostra for fixing my DB. It worked fine for 2 or 3 times but then I get the Error 3 again and if won't load the DB... (I have checked to see if 2 instances were running but they weren't... I even rebooted just to be sure)... The -portable.bat works fine and I can open my db through there, but it resets my settings.

I need some help !

thanks !!!

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2009, 12:41:48 pm »
So there are 3 known situations leading to this error message:
1. the database is corrupt
2. you are trying to open multiple instances of PVD with the same database (local)
3. you have created the database under a different user account and the one you are using now has no permission to use the database

P.S. I'll improve handling situation number 3 in the next version.