Author Topic: Embedded links  (Read 6585 times)

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Embedded links
« on: July 06, 2009, 04:26:40 pm »
Hi,

Embedded links within text fields (the kind you make with CTRL-H) don't always work as expected, depending on what "type" they are.

The first few types available in the CTRL-H dialog (ID, Original Title, Title, Name, Translated Name) all work fine, since it's expected that they point to a single unique entry in the database.

But the Year, Genre, and Country types are essentially search filters... clicking on such a link invokes a search for the specified text in the specified field.  Trouble is, PVD does not switch to Movies View for links of these types that are created in People View. Suppose I create a link of type "Year" in an actor's Biography field, and give it a value of "2006". When I click on this link, it fills in "2006" in the Search box, and sets the search filter to "Year", then executes the search... but it remains in People View, where "Year" isn't even one of the available fields, and so finds no results.

What's more, I cannot easily reset the Search Box afterwards to its default behavior. I can click the "reset search" button to re-display all people, but the search filter selector remains set to "Year" (following my example) and I can't set it back to the default "Name + Translated Name + Alternative Names", at least not directly... I have to click on it and set it to something else (such as "Birthday") first, then change it back. (I suspect this is just a display issue... I think the "reset search" button really does set it back to the "Names" filter, it just isn't updating the label on the toolbar.)

Along the same lines, one would also expect the "Tag" link type to search for movies with a specific tag... but when in People View, clicking on an embedded "Tag" link actually causes an Application Error to occur. ("Tag" links work correctly when in Movies view, though.)

By the way: Exactly what does the "Anchor" link type do? I've never seen it explained anywhere.

Aimhere

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Embedded links
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:07:44 pm »
Thanks for the info. I'll fix the issues as soon as possible
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:25:44 pm »
By the way: Exactly what does the "Anchor" link type do? I've never seen it explained anywhere.

Good question. It must be for setting a link destination in the field, but there's no corresponding link type for using them.

BTW, there's an error in english.rc...

2276, "Genre",

...should not have the trailing comma.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 09:41:01 pm »
Trouble is, PVD does not switch to Movies View for links of these types that are created in People View.

The behaviour of hyperlinks in People View is obviously buggy, but I suspect the year, genre and country were meant to search date of birth, genre (in people) and place of birth, not movie fields. [Edit: I may be completely wrong about this. In Movie View, I see the link types are exactly the same, and there, these links are obviously meant to refer to movies.] If this is the case, the link names should be changed. "Tags", of course, doesn't seem to belong here, and perhaps that's why it's causing a "list out of bounds" exception. :-\

For the ID, title and original title links, the view is switched. A problem remains, however, in that if the target is hidden in Movie View the link is ineffective. When the target is hidden by filters, I think the behaviour should be to show it at the top of the movie list. This would be analogous to a new movie being added—it would be apparent the current filters are not applying to it, and may on refresh.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:08:25 pm by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 01:27:49 am »
And possibly related to the issues already mentioned... Other than by name, sorting doesn't work properly in People View—it seems the menu items don't match the sort that is executed.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:06:04 am »
but I suspect the year, genre and country were meant to search date of birth, genre (in people) and place of birth, not movie fields. [Edit: I may be completely wrong about this. In Movie View, I see the link types are exactly the same, and there, these links are obviously meant to refer to movies.]

No, actually those are meant to be movies only links

A problem remains, however, in that if the target is hidden in Movie View the link is ineffective. When the target is hidden by filters, I think the behaviour should be to show it at the top of the movie list. This would be analogous to a new movie being added—it would be apparent the current filters are not applying to it, and may on refresh.

I'll consider implementing this in future
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!