Author Topic: Boxed Sets  (Read 6703 times)

Offline moxley

• View Profile
Boxed Sets
« on: July 21, 2009, 04:16:17 am »
Dear Rick
 I have the Ultimate Collection Of James Bond And I am Wondering How You Put A Boxed Set In The Database
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Boxed Sets
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:56:11 am »
You'll no doubt want complete information about each of the movies in the collection, so each of those should be added to the database in the usual manner. Then all you need is something to identify each of them as a member of your boxed set. In this case, that would correspond with the 22-movie "James Bond" series. You can do so by adding a Boxed set or Movie series field.

My personal solution is to use the otherwise unused Release standard field as a Movie series field. (I use a custom language file to change the captions from "Release" to "Movie series.") This has the advantage of being accessible in Simple search (e.g., I just enter "James Bond" in the search box and select "Movie series" to display a list of the series). It's also available in the Multiple Movies Editor (select multiple movies, then Edit)—making it easy to set and change the movie series tag.

I use a liberal interpretation of "movie series," using this field for actual series like James Bond, but also movies by the same director on a common theme or with the same starring actor, and my own creations like Chick Flick. That one's handy for displaying the ten movies a girlfriend might want to watch, while hiding the other 1,663. 8)

Offline moxley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:07:17 am »
Thank you.

The way I usually make a boxed set is by adding each movie as an episode but first I set the season number to zero. So far this has worked except for boxed sets that are unknown then I have a problem.

Also could you tell nostra thank you for all his assistance with the database and that I tried to send the old database to him through FTP but to no avail. So I have given up and started again.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:27:18 am by rick.ca »
Michael J Oxley

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:37:59 am »
The way I usually make a boxed set is by adding each movie as an episode...

That's fine, but you're going to have to live with the consequences of the movies being classified as a series. You're not going to be able to group them with other movies. Searching and filtering is not going to be as effective.

Also could you tell nostra thank you...

You just did. ;)

anything