Author Topic: IMDb People Photos  (Read 6050 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
IMDb People Photos
« on: July 15, 2009, 07:28:59 am »
The IMDb People Information plugin currently downloads the head shot thumbnail used on the person's main page. That works okay in the default skin where there's not much more room provided than to display the thumbnail at it's actual size (140 pixels high). In my "Theatre View" skin, however, these thumbnails look awful. The thumbnail is normally (but not always) linked to an actual photo (400 pixels high), which can be displayed at actual size in my skin. It would also look somewhat better in the default, although it would only be displayed at about half it's actual size.

So, I'm wondering if the plugin can be modified to download the actual photo, rather than the thumbnail. I'm not sure whether there's any need to worry about the larger image sizes. 10,000 photos at ~20k instead of ~4k means a database that's 160Mb bigger—I don't know if that would concern anyone. I suppose it could be optional.

On the other hand, what's the point of collecting crappy photos? The default skin can easily accommodate the larger images. The column needs to be about twice as wide, but that still leaves plenty of room for data beside it. And the larger image looks so much better. Maybe it makes more sense to get only the larger images, and provide for them in the default skin. Users who want a more compact presentation can simply reduce the column width in the skin (and the image will be scaled-down to fit).

Offline Marc

• View Profile
Re: IMDb People Photos
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:00:41 am »
Yep, larger images = better.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: IMDb People Photos
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »
I think I can improve the plugin in the next version
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!