Author Topic: Just migrated from Movie Collector, how to transfer 1000 covers?  (Read 13181 times)

Offline Marc

• View Profile
Hi,

I've been using Movie Collector for a few years, but they are charging way too much for very little, so I decided to move to something better: PVD. I managed to export my thousand DVD's to TXT, convert that to Excel, and then import the collection to PVD. However, I can't seem to find a way to import the covers? In Movie Collector the covers are stored in a folder, and every movie points to the location of the cover in that folder. I have exported this path along the other movie details I wanted, but it seems PVD doesn't work this way? I managed to get PVD to not only store the image in the database, but also in a folder. Is it possible to put all my covers in that folder and convert my Movie Collector paths to PVD paths?

I hope I don't have to manually add them all. Most of them can't be downloaded from Amazon (I have alot of Asian and Dutch DVD's).

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Just migrated from Movie Collector, how to transfer 1000 covers?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:02:37 pm »
Welcome, Marc.

The Images by ID utility described here is what you're looking for. You will need to assign ID's using the Reindex movies tool. Hopefully, you've imported the poster location. If you haven't, you will need to do so. Then export ID and poster location to Excel, and use this to create a DOS batch file that will rename all your posters to ID (i.e., rename [full pathname of poster] [ID].jpg).

Before importing, make sure Preferences - Miscellaneous - Save images in database is not set. When using the utility, set the Thumbnails folder to something different than the Image folder (or the images will be overwritten by thumbnails). After successfully importing, I recommend then setting Save images in database.

I tested this undocumented utility for the first time just now and found it a bit tricky, so please practise on a copy of your database until you're sure you've got it right. Good luck!

Offline Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 12:35:29 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion. I will download the plugin and see if I can sort it out. I'll post back here with the results.

Offline Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 01:54:27 pm »
Then export ID and poster location to Excel, and use this to create a DOS batch file that will rename all your posters to ID (i.e., rename [full pathname of poster] [ID].jpg).

I could use a little help with that, never done that before. I have the excel file with all ID's and paths to the posters. I now need to rename the posters to their corresponding ID's, using a DOS batch file which reads the data from the Excel file? How would I do that?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 06:21:14 pm »
This message should point you in the right direction. Note that fields are now referred to by name, rather than number.

Offline Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 06:34:06 pm »
Hmm, if I understand correct, I need to rename all my posters to an ID number (without a title, right? i.e. 123.jpg). I'm still not sure how to do it, even with the example you provided, because I hardly ever used Excel before :-[

I have column A called "ID", and column B called "Front Cover". Robocop.jpg needs to become 23.jpg. How? ???

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 07:36:07 pm »
I have column A called "ID", and column B called "Front Cover". Robocop.jpg needs to become 23.jpg. How?

Assuming you've reindexed your movies and exported ID and the matching poster filename to Excel...

• In cell C2, enter the formula ="rename """&B2&""" "&A2&".jpg". This should result in rename "Robocop.jpg" 23.jpg (the filename is enclosed in quotes for those that include spaces). Copy this formula to all lines in the list.
  • Select column C by clicking on it's header. Copy it to a new file in a text editor. Save this file as rename.bat in your poster folder.
  • There's no "undoing" the next step. Make a backup of your poster folder!
  • Run rename.bat.

Offline Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 04:54:20 pm »
Allright! Thanks to your generous directions I managed to get it working! I'm happy :D

Notes for anybody who will attemt something similar: You have to put the "Images by ID" utility in PVD's main folder, and when you run it, make sure you select "Remove existing images". I also selected "Set folder", not sure what that does though.

Also, the formula you want to use in Excel is "rename """&B:B&""" "&A:A&".jpg". I selected the entire C column, went to the edit menu, selected "replace", and replaced nothing with the formula, so every field gets the formula.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:30:17 pm »
You have to put the "Images by ID" utility in PVD's main folder

Sorry, forgot to mention that.

I also selected "Set folder", not sure what that does though.

I believe that adds the folder to the appropriate folder locations in Preferences - Folders. Those won't be relevant if you switch to Save images in database after the import is complete. BTW, have you done that? I recommend it, but only after you're sure all your images have been imported. Once the switch is made, it cannot be reversed.

the formula you want to use in Excel is...

That works, but is less direct and more error-prone than copying a formula from one cell to other cells. The "2" in ="rename """&B2&""" "&A2&".jpg" refers to row 2 (assuming row 1 is a header). Once that formula is in cell C2, it can be copied to all cells below it (where there are values in column B) just by double clicking on the lower right corner of the cell. That's quicker than using Replace. ;)

Offline Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 06:31:22 pm »
I believe that adds the folder to the appropriate folder locations in Preferences - Folders. Those won't be relevant if you switch to Save images in database after the import is complete. BTW, have you done that? I recommend it, but only after you're sure all your images have been imported. Once the switch is made, it cannot be reversed.

Yes, I've done as you suggested.