Author Topic: Importing failure  (Read 9168 times)

Offline dushkin

• View Profile
Importing failure
« on: August 01, 2009, 08:14:38 pm »
Hi all,
 I am probably missing something because since I upgraded to 9.9.11 I can hardly import movies information from IMDB, and I can't tell why.
 First of all the import button is disabled, but also when I use the "New movie master" it fails to get me the information.
 Please help.

Thanks, Dushkin.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Importing failure
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 08:39:18 pm »
Welcome, dushkin.

Have you installed the latest update to the IMDb plugin? It has been updated since 0.9.9.11 was released, as have the Amazon poster and Plain text export plugins. Download what you need from the download page, and unzip the contents of the downloaded files to your Plugins directory.

Offline dushkin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 09:24:45 pm »
Thanks Rick.
I updated the imdb plugin but nothing changed.

I remember that in the previous version, as I just Clicked the + button to add a new movie and wrote the film name, the import button on the toolbar became enabled, which is not the case now.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:47:41 pm »
Import plugins are disabled when the record is in edit mode. Click the checkmark on the toolbar or press Ctrl-Enter to Apply Changes and exit edit mode.

It has been suggested this behaviour should be changed to what is was before—that there is no need to disable the plugins while in edit mode.

Offline dushkin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:21:30 pm »
Please see if my actions are correct:
1. Pressing the + button on the toolbar
2. Entering the film name inside the second edit box on the first row.
3. Pressing the "Apply changes" button
4. Pressing the "Get movie information from.. " button

The PVD shows some messages in the status bar as if it is working but at the end - no information is shown.
One film I am trying to add is "The reader", but the same happens with other films...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 11:10:09 pm »
I think you've discovered another problem with the behaviour of the program when a new movie is being added this way. When you first click on "+", a blank entry is added to the top of the list. If you enter a title and apply changes, this should change to the title. Sometimes, howver, it does not. I'm not sure why, but maybe because filters are set so the new entry is hidden. Unfortunately, the blank entry remains at the top of the list and the new title remains in the pane on the right, creating the impression it is properly selected. In fact, the null record is still the active one, and the plugin search finds nothing.

It seems this troublesome behaviour can be avoided by Resetting filters before selecting New.

Hopefully nostra will fix this in the next update. However that is done, plugins should also detect the error of attempting to update a null record.

Thanks for your test results. ;)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:20:07 pm »
Funny, but I can't reproduce this behavior :(
Which filters should be selected?
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 12:27:02 am »
It seems to happen consistently if the Movies on hard drive and Series filters are selected. It doesn't happen if just one of those filters is selected. I haven't tested beyond that.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 12:48:35 am »
It seems to happen consistently if the Movies on hard drive and Series filters are selected. It doesn't happen if just one of those filters is selected. I haven't tested beyond that.

No, still no luck reproducing the problem :(
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:50:52 am »
Let's see if we've narrowed the problem properly...

I'm pretty sure the import fails because the search is for "nothing." So the problem is not with the plugin, but the fact the focus can somehow be "nothing" after Applying changes.

I now know I have created the error condition if after Applying changes, the new list item (at the top of the list) remains blank. Normally, it would update to the title. The condition is confirmed by resetting filters, then searching for and not finding the record just "added."

As I mentioned before, I can create this condition by setting the Movies on hard drive and Series filters. I don't know how I did it, but one time I was able to add the new item. I'm unable to reproduce that (short of putting it in edit mode and applying changes again)—so the problem behaviour is fairly consistent. But this may explain why you can't reproduce it.

It's probably necessary the test movie does not already exist as an invisible movie.