Author Topic: Change File Names + Tag Movies  (Read 7084 times)

Offline Pezmc

• View Profile
Change File Names + Tag Movies
« on: August 03, 2009, 10:59:03 pm »
Two questions on one thread...

Is there a way that I can actually tag movie details (from PVD) such as Title, Subtitle, Year and Genre into the actual movie files (like if you right click and manually get this info in Windows) so that it is ALSO embedded within the movie file. This means that media center can read the information PVD has collected.

Is there a way that I can set PVD to auto rename all my files it has linked (possibly using %t, %g, %y) to something more readable?
For example PhoneBooth.avi with %t - %y - %g
becomes: Phone Booth - Thriller - 2002.avi
It would be awesome power to be able to add to PVD

I hope these features exist, there is a way to create them or that you can add them!

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Change File Names + Tag Movies
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:23:42 am »
Unfortunately both features does not exist. The auto rename feature is planned for future versions, with the first one is the situation pretty difficult as there are many different video containers and not all of them support tagging or they support it in different ways.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:21:40 am »
Is there a way that I can actually tag movie details (from PVD) such as Title, Subtitle, Year and Genre into the actual movie files (like if you right click and manually get this info in Windows) so that it is ALSO embedded within the movie file. This means that media center can read the information PVD has collected.
Have a read of http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=870.40
And http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1249.msg4630#msg4630

What you are after is more efficient communication between PVD and media centre.
Achieving this through internal tags (similar to mp3) I agree would be a good way of doing it.
The problem is tags are not as widely supported / standardised in movie formats as they are in music formats.
In particular the tag reader used by PVD does not support tag writting.

An alternative approach is to code direct communication between PVD & your other movie playing software. Which maybe a more effecient way of linking 2 programs but requires different code for each pair of applications.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 05:25:42 pm »
An alternative approach is to code direct communication between PVD & your other movie playing software. Which maybe a more effecient way of linking 2 programs but requires different code for each pair of applications.

Or, as in the case of J River Media Center, the data is queried directly from the PVD database. ;)

pencilhead

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:54:03 am »
Have a read of http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=870.40
And http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1249.msg4630#msg4630

What you are after is more efficient communication between PVD and media centre.
Achieving this through internal tags (similar to mp3) I agree would be a good way of doing it.
The problem is tags are not as widely supported / standardised in movie formats as they are in music formats.
In particular the tag reader used by PVD does not support tag writting.

This got me thinking...
I use XBMC as my media centre. Library mode of xbmc is very powerful. It also has the ability to read xml and present this information.
It may be feasible to export movie xml file from PVD into directory where movie is held and have XBMC read it and update its library.
Has anyone tried this?
I will have to play  :)

Or, as in the case of J River Media Center, the data is queried directly from the PVD database. ;)
Then this got me thinking some more...
I wonder if XBMC can read the database file directly? If it could you could have an offline/online list. If you want to watch something and it is online, select it. XBMC reads the location from PVD file and plays, if it is offline, XBMC reads the location (potentially from media location field) and pops up message telling you where it is.
The possibilities are endless......sigh