Author Topic: Mass Updates  (Read 7600 times)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

Mass Updates
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:52:02 am »
I've been trying to run a mass update on my database.  Every so often (say 20 - 30 movies) IMDB kicks out an error (usually a 503) and a pop-up stops the update until I respond.  No problem, I go to silent mode and don't have to respond.

The problem is that the errors still occur, so some records don't get updated.  Again, no problem (I thought) since there is a last modified timestamp.  What I noticed however, is that the modified field doesn't get updated when running the IMDB plug-in.  This makes it difficult to figure out what records have been updated, and which ones have not.  Manually checking 2500 movies is a tad cumbersome.

Assuming there isn't already something I can do, but haven't thought of (Rick, are 'ya there bud?) it would be nice if there was an 'error retry' option in the preferences so I could specify how many times to retry, and maybe even a delay time.  That would probably fix the issue with the errors, but in the case of a site going down while I'm updating, it would be nice to have some kind of record (ie. modified date or an error log) that I could refer to.

Hoping this makes sense.  Work around suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Mass Updates
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 01:04:58 am »
The date modified field is updated if the imdb plugin changes smth... Without changes - no update...

Assuming there isn't already something I can do, but haven't thought of (Rick, are 'ya there bud?) it would be nice if there was an 'error retry' option in the preferences so I could specify how many times to retry, and maybe even a delay time.  That would probably fix the issue with the errors, but in the case of a site going down while I'm updating, it would be nice to have some kind of record (ie. modified date or an error log) that I could refer to.

Take a look at Tools -> Preferences -> Internet Connection
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 01:38:43 am »
I updated the internet connection to 3 retries, then ran a 49 movie update.  4 movies did not get updated, so the retry either is running too fast or 'something'.  If I don't use silent mode, I get the error dialog box and the update on the  record in error doesn't occur.

The movies that did get updated, correctly updated the modified timestamp.

Now the weird part.  When I select a single movie, then invoke the IMDB plug-in, it updates the record, but not the modified date.  Screenshots attached (first image before update, 2nd after).  I'm using pvd 0.9.9.14 and IMDB plug-in 0.9.1.2.

Anyway, I'm happy enough with the knowledge that I can do a mass update in silent mode and pick off the errors using the modified date.

Thanks for your quick (and useful) reply, Nostra.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 01:40:32 am »
The date modified field is updated if the imdb plugin changes smth... Without changes - no update...

Does anyone know if there is a better field to use when searching for records which need updating?
I sounds like "date modified" will actually do the reverse of what desired as choosing records update > x months ago will tend to select static records on imdb.
Perhaps a date last checked field should be added to the feature suggestion list

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 01:53:04 am »
It just occurred to me that the modified date probably isn't changing because it's the "people" records that I'm re-adding.

As a test, I deleted the AKA titles and the modified date was correctly updated.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:02:35 am »
It just occurred to me that the modified date probably isn't changing because it's the "people" records that I'm re-adding.

As a test, I deleted the AKA titles and the modified date was correctly updated.

I'll check this and fix if needed
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:23:27 am »

Does anyone know if there is a better field to use when searching for records which need updating?
I sounds like "date modified" will actually do the reverse of what desired as choosing records update > x months ago will tend to select static records on imdb.
Perhaps a date last checked field should be added to the feature suggestion list

It would be "kewl" if sql queries could be used to populate custom fields ... select datetime() as custom_field_name in the custom field definition dialog.  Sorry if that's not firebird-proper syntax, but you get the idea.  There's pros and cons to this, but it would be one way to add a lot of flexibility to the program.  Limiting the sql to select statements would limit exposure.

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:51:21 am »
As long as I'm at it...

When doing retries do you disconnect / reconnect between each retry?  If not, it probably isn't of much value.  Even at levels of 25 retries, I get the same error rate on mass updates.

anything