English > Talk

video game database?

(1/1)

dan16326:
anyone know of a good program like PVD but for video games? i'm hoping for something that's also freeware.

rick.ca:
I can't imagine anything fitting that description better than PVD. This is what you would need to do...

1. Adapt existing standard fields according to the field type and function required. Many would serve the same or similar purpose. If necessary, use custom fields.

2. Adapt the "people" fields to the relations you wish to handle in the video game context. This might mean using Producer for Publisher, Director for Developer, and Actors for developer personnel and their "roles" (e.g., programmer, graphic design, sound, music). This will provide "game-ologies" for each of the companies and individuals recorded. Custom fields cannot be used to handle relations—the existing "people" fields must be used.

3. Design a skin for an appropriate presentation of the fields used (including revised captions for adapted standard fields).

4. Use a custom language file to change various menu captions to a video game context. A few might have to be "not applicable."

5. Delete movie plugins, scripts and templates.

6. Write scripts for downloading from data sources. The allmovie or allmovie+ scripts could probably be adapted to use the allgame site.

Good luck. And be sure to share when your done. I'm sure others would love to have a Personal Video Game Database. ;)

Anson:
lots of videogames which are related to movies can also be found in the IMDB, including some data on their taglines, plots, release, genre, programmers, producers, publishers, (voice) actors, etc. Thus at least a partial database of videogames should be obtainable with PVD and the IMDB plugin.

to see/test it yourself, go to some popular movies like Alien (1979) and follow the "connection" links for "spinoff" on its movieconnections page to get to these videogames (indicated by "(VG)"): Alien (1982) (VG), Alien vs. Predator (1993) (VG), Alien Trilogy (1996) (VG), Aliens vs. Predator (1999) (VG), Aliens vs. Predator 2 (2001) (VG), Aliens vs. Predator 2: Primal Hunt (2002) (VG)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version