Author Topic: Scan folders doesn't remember previously used path  (Read 14232 times)

Offline fenlander

• View Profile
Scan folders doesn't remember previously used path
« on: July 20, 2009, 11:35:49 am »
In the previous version I used, Tools|Scan folders for new movies|changed paths remembered the path to my video files. It no longer seems to do this (9.9.11). I have set the path to the video files in Tools|Preferences|Folders. Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 05:37:18 pm by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Scan folders doesn't remember previously used path
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:41:22 pm »
Welcome, fenlander.

Am I missing something?

Yes. The next item in Preferences—the paths are set in the File Scanner section (at the top).

Offline fenlander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 04:20:52 pm »
Thanks!

Offline raldo

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:32:48 pm »
Yes. The next item in Preferences—the paths are set in the File Scanner section (at the top).
I've never gotten this to work! The path is set in the File scanner section (below "Search for new movies and changed paths on program start")

PVD scans the files upon startup but the path isn't used in the "Scan folders... ctrl_f" dialog.

I'm using 9.9.14
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:49:20 pm by raldo »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:07 pm »
What happens when you run the file scanner after the program has started? Does it use the folders set in Preferences then?

Offline raldo

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 08:22:47 am »
What happens when you run the file scanner after the program has started? Does it use the folders set in Preferences then?

When you say "set in preferences", do you mean the paths listed directly under  "Search for new movies and changed paths on program start"?

If that is what you mean, then my answer is "No"!

BTW: Will you have an opportunity to test the new version of PvdImport or are you still waiting for your new supercomputer?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 10:26:24 am »
do you mean the paths listed directly under  "Search for new movies and changed paths on program start"?

Yes. When you run Scan folders... it should present a "Select Directory or Files" dialog with your paths pre-selected. Unless you want to change the selected paths, you should be able just to confirm "OK" for it to run. So what exactly is happening? Does the dialog appear? Are the paths pre-selected?

Will you have an opportunity to test the new version of PvdImport or are you still waiting for your new supercomputer?

The liquid nitrogen cooling system hasn't arrived, so I should be able to schedule another test on the museum piece. But I thought you were about done. Have you made more changes?

Offline raldo

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 01:02:43 pm »
Yes. When you run Scan folders... it should present a "Select Directory or Files" dialog with your paths pre-selected. Unless you want to change the selected paths, you should be able just to confirm "OK" for it to run. So what exactly is happening? Does the dialog appear? Are the paths pre-selected?
Yes, the dialog appears, but the paths in the abovementioned edit box aren't preselected. Thus currently I need to re select the paths every time I want to scan.

The liquid nitrogen cooling system hasn't arrived, so I should be able to schedule another test on the museum piece. But I thought you were about done. Have you made more changes?
Well, no more changes after 10/11. I was thinking of releasing pretty soon, but I don't trust my own testing :)

Offline pwantzel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 02:50:39 pm »
When you run Scan folders... it should present a "Select Directory or Files" dialog with your paths pre-selected. Unless you want to change the selected paths, you should be able just to confirm "OK" for it to run. So what exactly is happening? Does the dialog appear? Are the paths pre-selected?

This doesn't work for me, either.  Version 0.9.9.14.  When I start the Scan folders.... the dialog appears, but nothing is pre-selected.  Just like when I had no file path selected.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 06:07:24 pm »
Yes, the dialog appears, but the paths in the abovementioned edit box aren't preselected.

I suspect you're not using "|" as a delimiter.

Well, no more changes after 10/11. I was thinking of releasing pretty soon, but I don't trust my own testing

In case it wasn't clear, I did test 11—except for auto import, of course. Maybe you can give darichman a nudge.

Offline raldo

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:48:50 pm »

I am using | as a delimiter, here's the path: \\Server\Videos\Spillefilm|\\Server\Videos\Spillefilm.dummy

It was generated by PVD, btw, using the browse dialog..

I just noticed something: If I select a folder which is on my c: drive, PVD remembers the name. So maybe it's related to the above folders being on a network server?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:52:39 pm by raldo »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 09:35:02 pm »
So maybe it's related to the above folders being on a network server?

It would seem so. I believe pwantzel is using network paths as well. Maybe nostra can fix this, or there's another way of entering them. In the meantime, you could subst a drive letter for "\\Server\Videos."

Offline raldo

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 11:52:48 pm »
In the meantime, you could subst a drive letter for "\\Server\Videos."

For me this is not an option! This changes all the filenames in PVD (name change). For PvdImport to work, I'll have to change all the filenames in JRiver MC too.

So I guess I'll have to restart PVD for now unless another solution appears...

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 03:20:16 am »
...I'll have to change all the filenames in JRiver MC too.

Yes, not a very attractive solution. Hopefully, there's an easy fix—surely being able to scan a network share is a fairly common requirement.

So I guess I'll have to restart PVD for now unless another solution appears.

Just curious—are you unable to even select the network path in the dialog when it's run manually? I suppose the problem is the dialog itself is not being equipped to handle network drives.

Here's a question for you that's sort of related to this (and, no doubt, caused me to think of the subst command). My primary means of transferring data from my old computer to the new one will by via a USB drive (much of the video data resides only there anyway). I'm thinking the best way to do that is...

1. Copy all the data (from several partitions) on the USB drive to directories of the HDD of the new computer.

2. Map each directory (that was a partition) to the same drive letter on the new computer.

3. Install PVD and MC with the same database/library and, to the extent possible, configuration data. Hopefully, both applications will find all media files exactly where they are expected to be, and PvdImport will also be unaffected.

4. Use MC to move all data to new locations on the HDD (generally, to consolidate multiple locations into fewer; the USB drive will no longer be used for media). Scan the new locations to update the paths in PVD. Then run PvdImport mass update to ensure all the pathnames match.

Do you see any problems with this approach? Is there an easier way? It's tempting to think there must be if the two computers were networked (something I'm not planning on doing because the old computer is to be retired). But that doesn't seem to offer any easier means of migrating files while keeping them in sync with the MC library and PVD database.

Offline pwantzel

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 02:08:24 pm »
It would seem so. I believe pwantzel is using network paths as well. Maybe nostra can fix this, or there's another way of entering them. In the meantime, you could subst a drive letter for "\\Server\Videos."

Yes, my video is on a network server.  I was only using one pathname, so the "|" suggestion did not apply.  But when I tried to substitute a drive letter for the network path, this worked.  And, by the way, the network path works fine, except that it wouldn't stay selected between sessions.

Offline raldo

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 06:25:26 pm »
Just curious—are you unable to even select the network path in the dialog when it's run manually? I suppose the problem is the dialog itself is not being equipped to handle network drives.
Yes I am able to select the folders.

4. Use MC to move all data to new locations on the HDD (generally, to consolidate multiple locations into fewer; the USB drive will no longer be used for media). Scan the new locations to update the paths in PVD. Then run PvdImport mass update to ensure all the pathnames match.

Do you see any problems with this approach? Is there an easier way? It's tempting to think there must be if the two computers were networked (something I'm not planning on doing because the old computer is to be retired). But that doesn't seem to offer any easier means of migrating files while keeping them in sync with the MC library and PVD database.
I've had some bad experiences using MC to move a lot of data.

What I've done is simply using search and replace on the path field in MC. That's what I did when I moved all my music +videos to the server. First, copy the files to the new location. Then, remove the usb disk before you start the rename, otherwise MC will attempt to move the files.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 06:47:08 pm »
I've had some bad experiences using MC to move a lot of data.

I was thinking of using the Rename, Move & Copy tool ("rename" mode). Is that what you had problems with, or is that what you're recommending? It has a search & replace function. :-\

Then, remove the usb disk before you start the rename...

Yes, I would remove it even before installing MC. I would hate to think what would happen if auto import found it. :P

Offline raldo

• Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:15 pm »
I was thinking of using the Rename, Move & Copy tool ("rename" mode). Is that what you had problems with, or is that what you're recommending? It has a search & replace function. :-\
Yes, that's the tool I've had problems with. One issue with "Rename..." is that it only moves files in the DB, so "dangling" files are left behind!

This is what I've done. Backup your database first. Copy all files from drive to drive. Disconnect USB drive. Then rightClick\library tools\findAndReplace . In the dialog that pops up, select filename only, and then replace the original drive letters with the new driveletter+topmost folder structure  And if you know how, use IsMissing() expression to see if any files were left out.

This is safer and faster than "Rename.." + there is no risk in moving files around by error and leaving files behind.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 10:46:07 pm by rick.ca »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 10:44:45 pm »
Thanks. Now all I have to do is find a way to make the new computer arrive. :-\

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 05:53:23 pm »

I am using | as a delimiter, here's the path: \\Server\Videos\Spillefilm|\\Server\Videos\Spillefilm.dummy

It was generated by PVD, btw, using the browse dialog..

I just noticed something: If I select a folder which is on my c: drive, PVD remembers the name. So maybe it's related to the above folders being on a network server?

The dialog has really limited functionality when network paths are used. I do plan to improve this later.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!