Author Topic: Original (Detected) Title --> "Also Known As"  (Read 5613 times)

Offline RedDunce

• View Profile
Original (Detected) Title --> "Also Known As"
« on: November 15, 2009, 04:07:27 am »
Everything was working perfectly for me. I had IMDB set to overwrite the title when importing. This is all perfect. But it would be awesome if there was a way I could make it put the title I had set myself into the AKA field because sometimes IMDB does not have it.

For example, I had Ichi The Killer's title set as that. When I went to import data, Ichi the Killer became Koroshiya 1, and there was no remnant of Ichi the Killer anyways - I couldn't even search for it when I searched for "All".

If there's a way to fix this, I would love to know.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Original (Detected) Title --> "Also Known As"
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 05:20:45 am »
I think this is more a matter of how to best use the program, rather than anything needing to be fixed. There are many ways to do things. You have to choose what's best for you, then live with it. With that in mind, a few suggestions...

1. Don't overwrite the title—it's meant to be whatever you want it to be. The original title is saved in a separate field.

2. Consider not downloading AKA titles and using this field for your own purposes. I realize this is not a helpful suggestion if you really want or need them. But I don't miss them, and very much appreciate the other things I can use the field for. Like the title or keyword I'm likely to think of when I don't remember the actual title. Or titles without special characters—so I can search for "rashomon" and find Rashômon. I've added "Best Picture of [Year] to all the Oscar winners—so they're all found by searching for "best picture."

3. If you really want or need the AKA titles, consider using an overwrite setting of "add if empty." Then you can download them, edit and add to them as you see fit, and then it won't be overwritten by subsequent updates.

Offline RedDunce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:05:02 pm »
So do you have any suggestions for a way to have BOTH the IMDB (official) title AND the English-language title in two separate fields, preferably having the IMDB title in the actual "Title" field and then the English-language title in the AKA/Original title?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:27:16 am »
Sure. Use the program as it was designed. It saves the "official title" as Original title, and allows you to set Title to anything you like (e.g., the "English-language title")—if you set not to be overwritten. If you prefer to display Original title in the list, configure it to do so using Preferences-Movies-Titles.

So, for example, when you add "Ichi the Killer," the result should be Title: Ichi the Killer, Original title: Koroshiya 1, and AKA: Ichi the Killer, Ichi - O Assassino, Ichi the killer, Koroshiya ichi.

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 08:51:18 am »
 Personally I use IMDB to replace "Original Title", and I keep the "title" as I had it, for example an English translation of a Japanese title.
 Also I have IMDB populating the AKA field for me as this is useful info.