Author Topic: Movie description - Display more than 1 actor by default.  (Read 5898 times)

Offline ouafouaf

• View Profile
Movie description - Display more than 1 actor by default.
« on: December 08, 2009, 06:16:55 pm »
Hello.
First, I enjoy PVD. I went through a lot of trouble to import my AMC database, but it's finally taking form.

I would like to modify the default film display a bit: I would like to see more actors without having to click the + button. When I display all the actors, since I chose to import them all from imdb, I get a very long list.
But if I dont click the + button, it only display 1 actor. Is there a way to change that so I can display maybe 5 or 10 actors ? IMDB usually display main actors first, so I'd have the 5 or 10 main actors displayed without having to click on the +.

I'm sorry, I'm a bit tired and have difficulties expressing myself clearly in english ;)

Any help appreciated, sorry if the question was asked before, I tried to use the search on the forum with no success.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Movie description - Display more than 1 actor by default.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 07:23:53 pm »
There is no such possibility yet, but maybe some time later I will implement such functionality
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:36:32 am »
I think this would be a useful feature. I currently limit the number of actors by downloading "from the main page only." This limits the number of actors displayed, and the number of people that have to be maintained in the database. Now that I'm using a new computer, however, I wonder if the latter should be of concern. Restricting the actors does create other problems. When those excluded from one movie are added to the database via another movie, updating their filmography adds them to the original movie. Maybe it would make more sense to download all credits, let the program properly maintain the movie/people relations, and then use an option to specify how many credits to display in the movie panel.

While I'm dreaming... It would also be very cool if the program would distinguish credits in the "rest of cast alphabetically" list. Those could then be always hidden in the movie pane, optionally hidden in the person's filmography, and otherwise displayed in a different font or color.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:46:21 am »
I think this would be a useful feature. I currently limit the number of actors by downloading "from the main page only." This limits the number of actors displayed, and the number of people that have to be maintained in the database. Now that I'm using a new computer, however, I wonder if the latter should be of concern. Restricting the actors does create other problems. When those excluded from one movie are added to the database via another movie, updating their filmography adds them to the original movie. Maybe it would make more sense to download all credits, let the program properly maintain the movie/people relations, and then use an option to specify how many credits to display in the movie panel.

Yes, it really seems to be a good idea, so I added it to my TODO

While I'm dreaming... It would also be very cool if the program would distinguish credits in the "rest of cast alphabetically" list. Those could then be always hidden in the movie pane, optionally hidden in the person's filmography, and otherwise displayed in a different font or color.

I do not really like the term "rest of cast" as it is not abstract and cannot be applied to many possible situations, so I doubt that implementing this will not bring more trouble than use.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 02:30:35 am »
I do not really like the term "rest of cast" as it is not abstract and cannot be applied to many possible situations, so I doubt that implementing this will not bring more trouble than use.

I'm referring to the cast listing as it appears at IMDb. Looking a number of movies, they appear to be only uncredited actors. But I suppose some credits are listed that way (i.e., some credited actors are listed under this heading). In any case, a better distinction would be "(uncredited)" appearing in the role. If this doesn't appear, they're a genuine credit—or they don't get on the list.

Now that I think of it, I don't actually know if these uncredited entries are being included in the download in the first place. :-\  I'd be just as happy if they were excluded from the download—as long as they're also excluded from filmographies (to avoid the problem of movies and filmographies being out of sync).

Offline ouafouaf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 07:22:13 pm »
thank you for answering.

Maybe a small option somewhere in the preferences panel to chose how many credits/actors we want to display by default.
1 actor is not enough, the complete actor list is way too much :)

I will be looking forward to that small update !

And thanks again for this program.

anything