Author Topic: Screenshot maker not working  (Read 6167 times)

Offline jetfishes

• View Profile
Screenshot maker not working
« on: October 25, 2009, 06:29:09 pm »
The screen shot maker is not working. It had been working great up until this morning when I updated the DivX player. I tried installing the
ffmpg file and even rebooted my computer but it was no help. I have 0.9.9.14.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Screenshot maker not working
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:44:54 pm »
Try installing a codec pack like K-Lite or CCCP
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline hmm...

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:03:06 am »
Same Problem here.  Running 0.9.9.14 on an XP machine.  I have installed said codec packs (K-Lite, also tried CCCP) to no avail. 

My case is rather particular, however, as I am using this to archive VNR's, PSA's and Video Stories prepared for television - some are uncompressed.  I have noticed that the standard .mp4's that I print for web do allow for screenshot creations, however have run into problems when trying to archive anything that I didn't print for web. 

Perhaps I will simply have to deal with manually creating screenshots?  Is there a better way?

I do appreciate any help!  Thank you!

Heather
"Pretty good. Pret-ty pret-ty pret-ty good."

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 11:59:37 pm »
Welcome, Heather.

I suggest you install WinFF. It's just a GUI for FFMPEG, but it might help in two ways...

1. WinFF includes a current version of FFMPEG. Updating the one used by PVD might help. Copy ffmpeg.exe from the installation directory of WinFF to the FFMPEG subdirectory in your PVD installation.

2. If the screen shot maker still doesn't work, WinFF might shed some light on the problem. Try playing the file using WinFF. If FFMPEG can't play the file, then it's unlikely it can make screenshots.

The purpose of WinFF is to convert video formats using FFMPEG. That's not directly relevant to your issue, but you might find it useful if you're handling a bunch of different formats. If WinFF/FFMPEG doesn't work, I suppose the next thing to consider is whether the file can be converted to another format. Use MediaInfo to determine what format a file is in. Here is a useful resource for learning how to do various conversions.

Offline hmm...

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 04:38:25 pm »
Thanks so much!  I am now getting about 90% of the videos up without any problems and MediaInfo is has proven to be highly useful!

Success!
"Pretty good. Pret-ty pret-ty pret-ty good."