Author Topic: Seaches returning a single result  (Read 4687 times)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

Seaches returning a single result
« on: December 23, 2009, 10:53:57 pm »
Would be great to have the single record actually open on the right-side frame when a single result is found on a search.  Come to think of it, it be even better if the first record in a multiple result list was displayed, with focus remaining on the list.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Seaches returning a single result
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »
I'll think about it
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 12:53:29 am »
...it be even better if the first record in a multiple result list was displayed...

Perhaps the issue should be generalized to what record to display whenever one is not explicitly selected in the list. This also applies when a filter has been changed, yet the pane continues to display a record which no longer appears in the list. So a more general solution would be to display the first record in the list on refresh (including that resulting from a search or filter change) whenever the current record is no longer included in the list.

Similar but different is the situation where a link is used that changes views—a people link in movies, or a movie link in people—is to a record hidden in the other view. Currently, the view is changed, but the target record is not displayed. The solution to this is not so easy. Clearing filters or changing from a tree to a simple view so the item can be displayed might be equally annoying. Perhaps the record could be displayed and added to the top of the list—regardless of the current filter settings. This would be exactly the same behaviour as when a new record is added. It appears at the top of the list, even though the current sort setting would have it elsewhere and filters may hide it. The item is displayed and remains at the top of the list until a refresh.

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 04:24:57 am »
No doubt there are considerations here I never thought of.  Your knowledge of the program is amazing Rick.  Quit your day job and get into software testing...if you aren't already.

When a search returns one result it only makes sense to display it.  The rest is "fluff".