Author Topic: change skin?  (Read 7884 times)

Offline schmendrik

• View Profile
change skin?
« on: January 11, 2010, 01:35:22 pm »
hi,
sorry, but how can i change the default template ???
i now searched for 5 minutes through all toolbars, read the wiki, read the help index, searched the forum for "change skin" = nothing?!
i am really not dumb when using new software, but this seems to be a nogo guys, this should be more obvious/user friendly.
so how do i change that??

buah

Re: change skin?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:15:30 pm »
If I understood your use of term "to change", than it's Tools-Preferences-Appearance-Movie Information Skin-Select Skin?

Or, you want to customize particular template by your self?

Offline schmendrik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:21:59 pm »
actally both, but thanks, maybe i just need a coffee to wake up properly :)

wished there would be some instructions how to alter a template.. to lazy to find out all by myself, not having an idea about html and similar.. (actually can i design it with a normal web editor?)
or can i use also tempates from other movie managers? (i must admit the default ones are not really pretty  8))
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:34:03 pm by schmendrik »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:58:23 pm »
It's XML. I suppose a competent programmer would use a text editor, but I prefer using XML Notepad. It doesn't make it easier to understand, but it does help me in maintaining the correct syntax. It also makes much easier to move things around using the tree structure of XML.

The skins are unique to PVD—you can't use skins from other programs.

As for documentation, until nostra produces some, your only option is to read the various topics here and examine the skins others have done to see how things are done. For example, see my Theatre View Skin and Zacca's skins in Scripts and Templates.

Offline schmendrik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:57:51 am »
so there are only 2-3 pepole that made skins ??? wow this is really little considering the fact that development is since 2007.
i think the policy is really wrong here, if it doesnt look nice, people wont use it.
and the default template is pretty ugly, no offense.
but if i dont have some instructions, my motivation to do a skin from scratch is almost zero.
and i bet i am not the only one.

will there be some guide on that in the near future?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 06:13:07 am »
I don't know. What positive input can we expect from you? ::)

Offline schmendrik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 06:24:35 am »
expect from me? man, you are offering a software that YOU want to be used.
without a guide skins will be rare, as simple as that. no wonder there are no skins with this attitude ::)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 06:42:31 am »
Whatever gave you that idea? I'm a user, just like you. The software is nostra's labour of love, which he offers for free and supports as best he can in his spare time. You have to be blind not to see his contribution is astounding. Those of us who appreciate his efforts do what we can to support him and the software. So I'm quite serious—if you have nothing constructive to offer, please move along.

buah

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 08:11:36 am »
The one would say that pretty women don't need too much make-up. For me, it's the same as for good software and skins.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:22:59 am »
As for documentation, until nostra produces some, your only option is to read the various topics here and examine the skins others have done to see how things are done.

mmm
I tend to think nostra has more than enough to do already.
The alternative is we write our own documentation. Not that easy for the first to try but I'm sure it will gradually improve as we all add the bits we have worked out.
Also if you look at the stats, nostra even updated this more than most.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:30:29 am by patch »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 01:15:02 pm »
I tend to think nostra has more than enough to do already.

You know I agree. Part of the reason for me being short here was the matter of documentation was already discussed (and quoted by OP!) here. I suggested nostra might do the "technical" part (which, in my mind, might be just the parts only he can do), and then users could fill in the gaps. Nostra said there he's working on it. There was no call for further whining.

Besides, I think the community effort is necessary in any case. Even with good documentation in place, skinning will remain challenging for most of us—so being able to discuss it here is important. There's also a creative aspect to it that can't be covered in documentation, but is helped by sharing ideas. And then there's being inspired by a non-English speaking user going to the trouble to share his skinning efforts with us...