Author Topic: Existing Similar Entry Detected - Understanding the Options  (Read 5828 times)

Offline sunspot

• View Profile
Existing Similar Entry Detected - Understanding the Options
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:48:24 pm »
Background to my question: I am pretty sure that I have the same movies twice somewere (on a different disc).
Upon importing movies, when a similar record has been found, the following dialogue pops up.

So here come my questions:

1.: This line describes the entry I would like to create right now, correct? But for what the ID number at the beginning?

2.: "Add new". Here a new entry will be created. I think I can just press ok. without having chosen this. If so, what's the difference?

3.: These are existing entries in the database. Are hidden entries included here? Also, some movies exist in several versions, for instance Thomas Crown Affair in a nineties and sixties version. I might have a dupicate to one or the other. What happens now if I select one entry and press ok. Is the original entry going to be completely overwritten or does the new entry just take the info from the exisiting entry? If it takes the info, will I still see where the old entry had been saved (for example disc G - otherwise I would still have the duplicate on the disc, but without entry to trace it. Also, I might have overwritten the sixties with the nineties version.)

4.: I don't think I have this movie ever imported. Why does it appear - is it one of the hidden entries?

I hope question 3 is clear, as this is my key issue here. I would appreciate any help.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Existing Similar Entry Detected - Understanding the Options
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:45:57 am »
This is an attempt to reduce the instance of duplicates (visible or invisible) being created when a movie is added. There's a discussion about it here. I find it confusing and ineffective, so I've turn it off at Preferences - Miscellaneous.

BTW, you can add images to your post using the "Additional Options..." link below the edit box.

Offline Anson

• User
    • View Profile
Re: Existing Similar Entry Detected - Understanding the Options
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 01:20:18 pm »
1.: This line describes the entry I would like to create right now, correct?
But for what the ID number at the beginning?
3.: These are existing entries in the database.

yes, i already was wondering something similar ...

when the first line is for a "new" entry which has no ID yet, why is there an empty ID field shown on the top line ?
(maybe it is used in some other context when the same mask/dialog is shown for another purpose, but it is confusing when adding a new movie)

when the first line is for a "new" entry with a year shown, won't it make sense for the list of existing entries to also show years and maybe other info like the ID and the movie type ? (PVD doesn't get from IMDB and store whether it is a movie, videogame, etc; but at least a distinction between movies and series should be possible?). with a large part (maybe more than 1% of my database, including hidden entries) being duplicate titles (same title with different year, or a series/game as spinoff from a movie), it would be quite helpful to have that additional info in that dialog.

anything