Author Topic: PVD user ratings  (Read 7600 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
PVD user ratings
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:18:11 am »
It would be great if PVD could have some option to send anonymous data to online server about PVD user ratings. That's the way how to get PVD Top 250!

This is a great idea, but I'm not sure how it could be implemented without putting an administrative burden on nostra.

Ideas? Volunteers for hosting and/or maintenance?

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: PVD user ratings
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:38:11 am »
Such ideas of collaborative work with PVD come pretty often to me, but I always end up thinking that it will be too much work to start thinking about seriously...

The easiest solution for the rating thing currently is to provide a server with a simple database and a php/perl/etc. script that will be accessed by a "General purpose" plugin each time a user changes rating. I can do that when I get some free time (unfortunately I have pretty much stuff to do currently).
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 04:15:26 am »
My thought was there might be someone out there who could create, maintain, and maybe even host the database. The job of creating the plugin would likely fall on your shoulders, but that could be deferred until the database it functioning. Initially, it could be populated by manual uploads of data files exported from user's databases.

...option to send anonymous data to online server...

The individual ratings should be anonymous, but it would be cool if it could report user names with the number of movies rated and average rating. That would motivate users to participate and not abuse the database. I suppose this might be reason to host it here and require a login for access.

buah

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 01:58:36 pm »
... and that value could be returned as "PVD Rating" to PVD. :D

The individual ratings should be anonymous, but it would be cool if it could report user names with the number of movies rated and average rating. That would motivate users to participate and not abuse the database. I suppose this might be reason to host it here and require a login for access.

Totally agree. I would use here IMDb plug-in logic. You can choose to download anonymously, or logged in. The same would be with upload PVD rating.

Cheers

Offline Anson

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 04:32:14 pm »
I don't know whether it would be worth the effort ...
(or whether the effort would be better invested in doing some basic documentation about what menu labels really mean or how to do custom skins)

but if such a database is done anyway, it might be nice to do some additional statistics, eg counting how many people have a movie on blueray, dvd or as file (that might be another indication of how important people find some movies)

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 07:06:09 pm »
I think a person with some knowledge of web programming and databases will be able to create such service pretty fast.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 01:22:55 am »
...almost as fast as it would take someone else to write documentation on skinning. I'm sure I've already explained what menu labels mean and how to change them. It must of gotten buried in some pointless discussion somewhere.  ;D

anything