Author Topic: NOT in advanced search / 2 usuability tweaks  (Read 9122 times)

Offline sunspot

• View Profile
NOT in advanced search / 2 usuability tweaks
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:17:33 am »
I use the db for about 3 weeks now and I keep being amazed about its features. My latest "discovery" is, that it can multitask - I can delete movies while it downloads movie information in the background. Very cool!

Improvement-Ideas

1. NOT in advanced search
It would just be handy to have somewhere an exclusion, as all the other categories are positive and a AND already exists.

2. Option: Always download larger picture (where available) / standard picture
I think this would be a nice feature, reducing user input. And I guess many choose the same option for most movies.

3. clear filters should also clear search field
Ok., maybe I just did not figure this out correctly, but so far, I always have to delete the search field and then reset the search filters to get the whole selection of movies again.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: NOT in advanced search / 2 usuability tweaks
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:58:29 am »
1. Click on the operator and select the applicable NOT option: That is: not containing, not like, not equal, is not null.

2. +1

3. No, filters and search are independent.  Select Reset Filters to "clear" them. Use the icon to the right of the search box to clear a search. This also refreshes the display.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:00:29 am »
It would just be handy to have somewhere an exclusion, as all the other categories are positive and a AND already exists.

Please provide an exaple of what exactly you want to get as result.

2. Option: Always download larger picture (where available) / standard picture
I think this would be a nice feature, reducing user input. And I guess many choose the same option for most movies.

Such things are usually handled by plugins/scripts independently from the main application. Which plugin/script are youm using?

3. clear filters should also clear search field

Reset filters -> really resets all filters as it should. The serach field and keyword are clear if you press the green round arrow...
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:45 am »
Such things are usually handled by plugins/scripts independently from the main application. Which plugin/script are youm using?

I use IMPawards, where the choice is very common. But I think there should be an option to default to the large image should be available for all plugins or scripts for which the choice is available. I'm sure most users would rather make this choice globally, rather than for every download.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:39:04 am »
PVD does not know what is really being downloaded by the plugin/script, so it can't make any decisions. I'll consider adding this to the plugin/script communication with the program, but not right now.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 04:20:19 am »
PVD does not know what is really being downloaded by the plugin/script, so it can't make any decisions.

For a plugin, I was thinking of a configuration option, just like the IMDb plugin has configuration options. For a script, it would be sufficient to simply include the option in the script (i.e., the user could edit the script to set the desired option). Essentially, the choices would be, "just get the largest poster available" or "ask me to choose."

Offline sunspot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:51:35 pm »
ad 1. (not in search) Got it, thank you. Did not expect the "containing" to be clickable.  ;D

ad 2. (large/standard option) Also IMPawards. Right now, there is first the selection "which posters" and then - if available - for each poster again whether it should be standard or large. Lots of clicks. It leads to the user choosing the option silent download of all images.
But this is nothing of first priority, just another little extra.

ad 3. (reset search) Ok, got this one, too, thanks. Good Button. BUT it is not very intuitive: If you click on the right side of the internet search field, it means "go searching". Clicking to the right side of the database search field means "reset standard view". And both fields are next to each other, on the same line. Or is this just me?

Lastly, a short question. I just imported hundreds of movies from external drives and optimized the process. I could give a short list/description for new users how I think it can be done efficiently (what works, what not in view of the results returned) and I have some ideas for minor improvements. Would this be useful for anyone here?

Offline deazo

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:50:21 pm »

To me yes, curious to know how do this, especially with posters (Impawards blocks my IP after a few movies)
Thx

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 01:45:08 am »
Or is this just me?

Different icons don't normally mean the same thing just because they're in the same position relative to a similar object. It's just you. ;D

Lastly, a short question. I just imported hundreds of movies from external drives and optimized the process. I could give a short list/description for new users how I think it can be done efficiently (what works, what not in view of the results returned) and I have some ideas for minor improvements. Would this be useful for anyone here?

Yes. Do it while it's still fresh in your mind. Those of us with established databases don't do this anymore, and probably don't remember the issues well.

Offline patch

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 09:15:45 am »
I just imported hundreds of movies from external drives and optimized the process. I could give a short list/description for new users how I think it can be done efficiently (what works, what not in view of the results returned)
Yes
You could add it to the wiki, maybe near here http://www.nimidia.com/pvd_wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Importing-movie-details&structure=PVD-Manual

Offline sunspot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 09:58:12 am »
Will gladly post my experiences. And after your critique, feedback and improvements integrate it into the wiki, that's a great idea!