Author Topic: IMDB Image Sizes  (Read 19975 times)

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

IMDB Image Sizes
« on: January 17, 2010, 11:50:08 am »
Very cool....

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQyNTM2NDI0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE0NTk3MQ@@._V1._SX267_SY400_.jpg

SX267  = size x-dimension 267
SY400  = size y-dimension 400

SX and SY positions can be changed, so 400 X 267 could become 800 X 267 and it will resize to 800 wide, with proper aspect ratio.  Images can't be scaled up from the original, but in this case, the image is HUGE.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQyNTM2NDI0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE0NTk3MQ@@.jpg

Image files in excess of 250k are quite common.

;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:10:52 pm by mgpw4me@yahoo.com »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: IMDB Image Sizes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:15:45 pm »
Isn't this, in part, what I pointed out here?

In any case, are you making a feature suggestion?

It would be nice if poster and photo dimensions were recorded in the database.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 02:11:44 pm »
I new this fact, but the images I checked were pretty the same size as the original parameters, so I left them. Good to know there really are some big images to download, so I can address this in the plugin.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:23 pm »
I knew Nostra was planning to update the IMDB plug-in, so I wanted make sure he knew.

My testing shows about 50% of the images in portrait orientation are being resized when x is set to 600!!

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:56:48 pm »
OK, thx for the info
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:27:37 pm »
SX and SY positions can be changed, so 400 X 267 could become 800 X 267 and it will resize to 800 wide, with proper aspect ratio.  Images can't be scaled up from the original, but in this case, the image is HUGE.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQyNTM2NDI0MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE0NTk3MQ@@.jpg

Okay, now I see what you mean. That is cool.

It appears the original image is saved as ...@@.jpg and using the form ...@@._V1._SX{x}_SY{y}_.jpg the image can be scaled down by specifying a smaller x and/or y than the original. The standard does seem to be y=400, but I guess they allow any size to be uploaded. I think setting x=600 would be a sensible maximum, but that probably needs to be user-configurable. Some are going to want larger images (than the plugin gets now), but are concerned about download times and the size of their database.

I see posters are handled in a similar way. The size of the originals seem to be in the range of y=400 to 500, however—still far from the quality of images readily available elsewhere.

BTW, I still don't know if a script can add rather than replace a photo. If the IMDb plugin is going to be improved and there's going to be a script that can get lot of different photos, were going to need the ability to add or replace photos in batch mode.

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 09:10:24 pm »
I'm messing with the image upload as we speak.  I have a query out to Nostra in the development forum.  The situation you mention would be resolved if multiple images can be uploaded to people via a script.

There's a script interface to access image info, so it should be possible to parse the image headers to get the image size.  A script option to replace smaller images, append to the image list, load up to x number of images, etc.  Postprocessing might even allow the script to look at the image sizes downloaded and do further processing.

I had to smile when you said you wanted to sleep while 25,000 images were downloaded and at the time I was looking at one person with 7 images over 500k.  Hope you don't have bandwidth limits with your ISP  ;)  I DO have limits and 50,000 people to do.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:12:03 am »
Hope you don't have bandwidth limits with your ISP

No problem. I'm curious to see how a 100 Gig database will perform.

My people skin is now ready for multiple images. Is your script done yet? ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:25:12 am »
I have 4 that are nearly ready for Beta...I'll try to get the IMDB script fixed / posted after supper.  I've added 100mb to my database with single images.  I'm running with width=300 in my skin and the visual impact is greatly improved even at that size.

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 02:53:42 am »
If people want images this big and Databases that are 100G + in size with performance issues...

Would it be worthwhile implementing thumbnail view which references the image?
Similar to how xbmc or movie collector work. - keeps the database small and fast and larger images only referenced when user clicks on them / exports them etc or ability to have images external to database - preferences/folders/image folders

Why do people want images this big anyway?

:)

three fingered salutation

mgpw4me@yahoo.com

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 03:12:09 am »
There's an option to have images saved in a folder.

If people want images this big and Databases that are 100G + in size with performance issues...

Would it be worthwhile implementing thumbnail view which references the image?
Similar to how xbmc or movie collector work. - keeps the database small and fast and larger images only referenced when user clicks on them / exports them etc or ability to have images external to database - preferences/folders/image folders

Why do people want images this big anyway?

:)

There are size settings for the imdb image script...just change the x value to something like 200 or 300.  This is just the first of what could be over 70 scripts (I have 75+ sites in my list at the moment...might have to drop some).  Let's see 54,000 * 100,000 ... 10GB sounds like a deal  :D

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:19:16 am »
There's already the option to save images outside or inside the database. For those collecting a lot of large images, saving them outside the database may be a better choice. But I think that decision is better based on whether or not there's a need for other applications to access the images. For example, some may wish to collect and edit images.

Otherwise, I see no reason why there should be any performance issues due to the size of the database. It is, after all, a database. I suppose Firebird has more "overhead" than the file system, but I don't know why it should make any significant difference. Do you?

Offline CAD

• Older Power User
  • I've got my eye on you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 06:30:48 am »
Let's see 54,000 * 100,000 ... 10GB sounds like a deal  Cheesy

backing up the internet 1 photo at a time  ;D

It is, after all, a database. I suppose Firebird has more "overhead" than the file system, but I don't know why it should make any significant difference. Do you?

Don't know what i don't know :)

Maybe we can do performance tests based on:
http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=1668.0
Person with the biggest one wins ;)

or we could compare hardware and database size.
then have movie lookup races - That sounds like fun
three fingered salutation