Author Topic: Remember last choice when doing a bulk download.  (Read 14730 times)

Offline ALADProd

• View Profile
Remember last choice when doing a bulk download.
« on: January 17, 2010, 07:16:46 pm »
I'm sorry if this already exists or has been addressed...but...

How about a feature that will remember your last optional choice when doing a bulk download.

i.e., I select 50 movies or people to download.  Some will invariably come up withe multiple choices.  Since I can not see/manipulate the main window behind this window, I always choose "skip" and will go back to it later.   How about a check box saying to always use "Skip" on errors during this download?

Also occasionally I get a socket error (only when downloading from IMDB).  How about the program ignoring those erros and moving on to the next download in the list instead of forcing me to click "OK" every time.
Thanks,

Mitch

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Remember last choice when doing a bulk download.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 08:42:54 pm »
How about a feature that will remember your last optional choice when doing a bulk download.

Bookmarking.

How about the program ignoring those erros and moving on to the next download in the list instead of forcing me to click "OK" every time.

Silent mode.

If it helps, bookmark the items you're working on and set the bookmark filter. Select all and run the plugin(s) in silent mode. That will take care of all the ones that don't need your input. Turn silent mode off, and run them again on the remaining items. While you wait the 30 seconds or so it takes each download, amuse yourself by reviewing the results of completed downloads.

Offline ALADProd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 05:44:57 am »
I figured the answer would be a simple one.    But that leads to another possibility.   

When downloading data about people, 30% of the time it is not able to choose the correct person.   Many times those can be picked manually pretty easily.  It's a shame that the program can not utlize the movies you have in the database for each person to help figure it out.   IE, actress Anne Bancroft. I have 3 movies that have her as an actress.  It would be great if it could look at the names that it finds and see which one meets the criteria as being an actress in those three movies.  Put perhaps that type of sophistication is not possible.    For now I just ignore those ones, becuase there just isn't enough time to look each one up manually.
Thanks,

Mitch

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:01:08 am »
While it's possible to add people independently, normally, one would add a movie, and then the people associated with that movie are added to the database. At that point, only their name, URL and the movie they were in are recorded. After adding some movies, you would then update the people that have been added to download information about them. But all of these people already have a URL. There is no choice to make—the information is downloaded directly from the referenced page.

Can you explain more clearly what it is you are doing to produce this result?

Offline ALADProd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 07:12:40 am »
Sure....
First I entered the movie title manually.
Second I download the movie data from IMDB.  This supplies the actors/actresses.  They are "hidden" by default.
Third I click on the actor/actress I want to have the data on.
Fourth, I download the actor/actress info from IMDB.   In some cases there are similar names so it does not know who to pick so it shows multiple choices. 
Fifth, I put a check mark next to the correct one and complete the download.

What I'd love to see happen is where if there are multiple names, perhaps it could choose the correct one based upon the movie(s) that are already associated with that actor/actress in my database.

In my previous example, Anne Bancroft was listed as an actress for 3 movies.  No other data on her was listed as I've never done a download of her data itself.  When I choose her and select to do the download, it provides a list of different people because it does not know which person I want.

I've attached 2 screen captures.  First showing the info prior to downloading and the 2nd is the window I get when it doesn't know which person.  If the program had the capability to compare the choices with the info in my database (actress in those three movies) than it should be able to determin which is the correct listing. 

I've never really used the people feature until now.  With 713 movies, it amounts to a lot of people.  After downloading just the A's, B's and C's, it leaves 1017 people that it could not automatically choose the correct one.  Sadly that is just too much to do manually by having to figure out the correct one from a list on each entry.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Thanks,

Mitch

Offline Anson

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 09:18:12 am »
First I entered the movie title manually.
Second I download the movie data from IMDB.  This supplies the actors/actresses.  They are "hidden" by default.

At this point, the hidden entries should already have an URL leading to the correct IMDB record.

The picture you appended to your post only showed few fields (name, movie list). please go to the options and check that all checkmarks are set, including to show the URLs. Or start edit mode which shows all fields (not to change anything, but only to check whether the URL field was set)

I didn't do this yet myself for my movies and thus i said "should have an URL".
If it hasn't, there was either something wrong, or PVD couldn't get the URL (because of changes in the IMDB layout, outofdate plugins, whatever), or this would be a very important missing/broken feature in PVD (in the IMDB plugin).

At least for movies, PVD uses an existing URL instead of the title to download data for a specific movie, and people should be handled the same. The IMDB page for a movie lists the actors with links to them, and those links could/should be imported into the (hidden) people list.

I don't know how PVD (or more specific the IMDB plugin) adds new people records to the database, but it probably does this "by name" and not "by URL" since the latter might require an extensive slow search of the PVD people database. As long as only one internet database like IMDB is used, this might be no problem since IMDB always uses a unique actor name (if necessary, something like "(I)", "(XXIV)" etc is appended to the name) and in the rare cases of name changes, the URL to the people would still be the same old URL.

For movies neither such an appendix (I), (XXIV) nor the type (series, movie, game, etc) is saved, and thus there might be problems on a few people when their name changes, when there are some actors (or other professions) with the same name, etc, but that should be relatively few cases only, and even for those few cases, there should be at least one URL (if overwritten by other people with the same name) or several URLs (a list of all URLs for correct people), but never URLs for other people, and never no URL. in no case there should be 1017 people with no or multiple URLs when downloading actors with letters A-C for 713 movies.

anyway, back to the important fact in this reply, as said above:
At this point, the hidden entries should already have at least one URL leading to an IMDB record.

Third I click on the actor/actress I want to have the data on.
Fourth, I download the actor/actress info from IMDB.   In some cases there are similar names so it does not know who to pick so it shows multiple choices.

if there already is an URL (from step 2, see above), it should directly "download by URL" only that specific record and never have to get a list of "actors by name".

What I'd love to see happen is where if there are multiple names, perhaps it could choose the correct one based upon the movie(s) that are already associated with that actor/actress in my database.

Doing this search later would be very complicated, but the URL should already have been saved when the people record was created from getting the movie data, making it unnecessary to look for the movies again.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 10:45:53 am »
They are "hidden" by default.

This suggests you've not selected the option "Show people added from movie credits." Without that selected, obviously no people are shown. I've never tried it, but maybe the URLs are not recorded either (there logically being no need for them). If this is the case, then you must have changed all your people records from invisible to visible—as shown in your screen shots.

If this is what has happened, it will be more trouble than it's work to try to fix the current state of the people records. And this is what I would do:

• Permanently delete (i.e., Ctrl-Delete) all people—visible and invisible.
  • Make sure "Show people added from movie credits" is selected.
  • Make sure all people and movie fields are set to "visible."
  • Review this post about restricting credits, and set your preferences accordingly.
  • Turn on Silent mode.
  • Update all movies to re-download credits.
  • Update all people.

It seems daunting—and the downloads will take some time—but there will be a URL for everything and they will therefore run unattended.

Offline ALADProd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 09:44:07 pm »
That did it.

I deleted all people (nearly 30k), made sure I had all the fields showing for the movies and re-downloaded all my movies.  This correctly added the people with their urls.   Now I'm downloading the people.

My only guess is that the vast majority of the movies were added before this capability was established.

Thanks a bunch.

Of course now it will take many hours to download all the people data. 

I'm sure that with 713 movies and 30k people, I've got a small database compared to most, but it still takes time. :-)

Thanks,

Mitch

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 01:19:02 am »
My only guess is that the vast majority of the movies were added before this capability was established.

I hate to be cruel, but I can't resist... 8)

This announcement...

The 0.9.8 beta is out. Please note that if you want all the persons from movie credits to be visible in People database you'll need to enable the option: Tools -> Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> Show people added from movie credits

...is immediately followed (two months later!) by...

Please forgive my ignorance here.  I'm not a programer and have no clue what SQL is and such.   I too use the Grid view often.   I'm just starting to use the program and I find that using the grid view a whole lot easier for maintenance.

I guess you were too distraught over the loss of Grid View to notice. ;D

Offline ALADProd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 02:11:39 am »
Oh wow.  Pulling messages that is nearly 2 years old.  Kinda makes me feel foolish.  :-)

Now that this is solved I've only two more issues that are bugging me...

Dates.  Many do not show ages correctly, especially when birth date is in the early 1900's.  IE: Born in 1948 and died in 2001 shows an age in the 40's.  :-)  I'm sure it's some setting I have wrong.

Those darn poster popups when viewing people.  It is irritating to the extreme when it keeps poping up when ever the mouse stops...even when I'm nowhere near that line.
Thanks,

Mitch

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 02:57:20 am »
Dates.  Many do not show ages correctly, especially when birth date is in the early 1900's.  IE: Born in 1948 and died in 2001 shows an age in the 40's.  :-)  I'm sure it's some setting I have wrong.

I've never seen that, and I don't believe there's any setting that would affect this. Can you provide examples (in the form of IMDb URLs)?

Those darn poster popups when viewing people.  It is irritating to the extreme when it keeps poping up when ever the mouse stops...even when I'm nowhere near that line.

Do you mean the tooltips like the attached? I find them unobtrusive—and they only appear when I hover over a link. But that doesn't seem to fit what you're describing... ???

Offline ALADProd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 03:20:54 am »
I've never seen that, and I don't believe there's any setting that would affect this. Can you provide examples (in the form of IMDb URLs)?

Well, I can provide a screen capture.  It shows Ernest Borgnine.  Notice his date of birth is 1/24/17 but it shows his age as 7 years old. It should read 92.

Do you mean the tooltips like the attached? I find them unobtrusive—and they only appear when I hover over a link. But that doesn't seem to fit what you're describing... ???

Yes, that is it, but mine comes up many times even if I'm not hovering over a movie.  While you can not see my mouse in the screen capture, notice the popup is open.  My mouse is actually on the toolbar on the bottom of the screen.

Thanks,

Mitch

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 04:31:07 am »
Well, I can provide a screen capture.  It shows Ernest Borgnine.  Notice his date of birth is 1/24/17 but it shows his age as 7 years old. It should read 92.

It works for me. Try changing your year format to YYYY in Windows Regional Settings.

Yes, that is it, but mine comes up many times even if I'm not hovering over a movie.

Weird. It doesn't seem likely, but is it possible the program is incorrectly detecting the mouse location? What happens if you move the mouse slowly and left-click immediately as one appears? Is a link-click detected?

Offline ALADProd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 03:34:19 pm »
It works for me. Try changing your year format to YYYY in Windows Regional Settings.

I use my computer for work we use the standard 2 year date.    So switching to a 4 year isn't convenient, but I tried it without success.   I tried doing the math and simply could not determine where this is screwing up.  Perhaps this is a bug that needs to be evaluated.  It should detect any date format settings and adjust accordingly.

Weird. It doesn't seem likely, but is it possible the program is incorrectly detecting the mouse location? What happens if you move the mouse slowly and left-click immediately as one appears? Is a link-click detected?

I've been able to reproduce this one 100% of the time.   It's detailed but let's see if I can explain it...
The program seems to remember the LAST movie on that profile and will display the popup for that movie anytime the mouse is stopped below the movie list.   I can move the mouse from the top of the list, down thru it and stop any place on the bottom and it will always show the last move in the list.  On the same note, if I stop the mouse at a movie in the middle and leave the list by moving stright to the left (on to the list of people) then bring it down past hte movies before moving back to the right and it will pop up the movie I was last on.  I wish I could take a video of my screen as it is happening.   Perhaps another bug?
Thanks,

Mitch

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 01:06:19 am »
It should detect any date format settings and adjust accordingly.

True, but we haven't established that is the cause of the problem. The fact your changing the setting had no effect may suggest otherwise. :-\

Perhaps another bug?

Or some kind of incompatibility with your system. BTW, what is your OS? As I said before, it should behave like a tooltip—appearing only when the mouse pointer is hovering over the link.

Offline ALADProd

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 01:32:18 am »
It should detect any date format settings and adjust accordingly.

True, but we haven't established that is the cause of the problem. The fact your changing the setting had no effect may suggest otherwise. :-\

First, my error.   When I changed my setting to a 4 digit year, I obviously failed to press "Apply" or "OK" because I did the test again now and ages calculate correctly (Even though the program still displayed it as a 2 digit year).    I guess this would show that it is a bug when it get's confused by a 2 vs 4 digit year?

Or some kind of incompatibility with your system. BTW, what is your OS? As I said before, it should behave like a tooltip—appearing only when the mouse pointer is hovering over the link.

I'm using Windows XP SP3.  I have the program also installed on a Vista computer with the same results.  My program is version 0.9.9.14.
Thanks,

Mitch

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 03:55:28 am »
I guess this would show that it is a bug when it get's confused by a 2 vs 4 digit year?

Yes it's a bug. I can turn Ernest Borgnine into a 7-year-old by changing my date format to 2 digits.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 03:30:09 am »
It is not really a bug as PVD has no way to know if the 2 digits should be interpreted as 19xx or 20xx. Windows defaults to 1940 - 2039.
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline Anson

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 11:21:18 am »
It is not really a bug as PVD has no way to know if the 2 digits should be interpreted as 19xx or 20xx.

true, although in the special case of someone born in 17, it can't be 2017 (yet!), and/or the given age of 7 should be -7 (minus seven).

Such an additional check for negative ages might temporarily help a bit but probably won't be worth the effort to implement, since sooner or later there will be many more movies and actors with dates that are more than 100 years ago. Maybe it could be useful to have a hint somewhere (in a manual or some installation instructions) which reminds people to be aware of this problem.

btw: just a month ago (on the change from 2009 to 2010), tens of millions of bank cards stopped working in germany since their builtin chips had a software error which didn't handle the transition from 9 to 0 ... although those cards were not free like PVD and although (after all that talk about the millennium bug 10 years ago), that transition problem could have been avoided easily.