Author Topic: Scrolling  (Read 7998 times)

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
Scrolling
« on: January 18, 2010, 08:18:17 am »
1.  I set my mouse wheel to scroll "One screen at a time" under Control Panel>Mouse.  PVD is the first program I've encountered where this doesn't work.  It only scrolls a few lines a time.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I'm using v0.9.914 Portable and Windows 7 32-bit (English language).

2.  When I use the scroll bar of the right pane, the window content smears--specifically, when I drag the slider down, the bottom part of the window content is drawn repeatedly while I'm dragging and new content is only drawn once I stop dragging the slider.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Scrolling
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:00:56 am »
Welcome, Hyomil.

I can't remember if it has ever responded correctly to my mouse wheel. I have is set for 30 lines at a time. The movie panel scrolls less than a third of that, and the people panel won't stop scrolling. "One screen at a time" does nothing in either. Now this is interesting... Set at three lines at a time, it scrolls one line of the movie panel, and nine lines of the people panel.

I see the "smearing" when scrolling the people pane, but not so much for the movie panel.

These observations change a little in different skins, but not much.

Thanks for your input—maybe this will mean something to nostra.

buah

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:36:42 am »
If I can add my 2¢: reaching bottom of the page in edit mode is quite painful because scrolling works this way. I hope nostra could do something with this.

Also, selecting downloading data with mouse in edit mode never works on a first attempt. You select text, release left mouse and everything finish unselected, with the cursor at the last point of selection. It doesn't happen if you select text with keyboard.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 10:43:20 am by buah »

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:21:55 am »
One other thing about scrolling I don't understand: Why do the Page Up and Page Down keys on the keyboard not scroll the movie panel like in other programs?  Under Preferences > Miscellaneous, there is the option "Use space for scrolling."  I'd like to turn that off so that I can simply start typing and have my keystrokes (including the spacebar) directed to the Search box, but then how to scroll other than to use the mouse?

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 05:32:54 pm »
The page up/down and the up/down arrow keys apply to the list, regardless of which panel has focus. I'm sure that's by design—so the list is always controllable. Similarly, the search box takes keyboard input, regardless of whether it has focus. That works great for a quick as-you-type search—where is space is only rarely needed. If it is, the search box can be given focus with a mouse-click. So I find the "use spacebar for scrolling" option quite usable. Alternatively, the mouse wheel (if you have one) can be used for scrolling. It works in whichever pane has focus.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 02:41:21 am by rick.ca »

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 06:52:32 pm »
1.  I set my mouse wheel to scroll "One screen at a time" under Control Panel>Mouse.  PVD is the first program I've encountered where this doesn't work.  It only scrolls a few lines a time.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I'm using v0.9.914 Portable and Windows 7 32-bit (English language).

2.  When I use the scroll bar of the right pane, the window content smears--specifically, when I drag the slider down, the bottom part of the window content is drawn repeatedly while I'm dragging and new content is only drawn once I stop dragging the slider.

You're not the only one. It's been like this for a long time.

Offline Hyomil

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 01:55:49 am »
The page up/down and the up/down arrow keys apply to the list, regardless of which panel has focus. I'm sure that's by design—so the list is always controllable.

My page up/down keys weren't doing anything at all at the time, but now they're back to this behavior.  Don't know what happened.

I see now that if you hit the spacebar once you've reached the bottom of the movie information panel, it will jump back to the top of that panel if you uncheck "Do not jump to the next movie when scrolling movie information with SPACE."  But there's a problem with it: If you select a movie where all the information fits on one screen and then select a movie where it doesn't (that is, one that has a scrollbar), the spacebar won't trigger a jumping back to the top of the panel for that movie.  To fix this, you have to select another movie where all the information doesn't fit on one screen.  Then it will work again--until you happen to click on another all-movie-information-on-one-screen movie.  This is with PVD 0.9.9.21 BTW and it happens in every skin I've tried.

Similarly, the search box takes keyboard input, regardless of whether it has focus. That works great for a quick as-you-type search—where is space is only needed. If it is, the search box can be given focus with a mouse-click. So I find the "use spacebar for scrolling" option quite usable.

Yes, I would be satisfied with this approach if the above problem were resolved.  Its hard to break the habit of reaching for the page up/down keys, but I can see this could be slightly faster overall.

Alternatively, the mouse wheel (if you have one) can be used for scrolling. It works in whichever pane has focus.

Strangely, the mouse wheel no longer works in either pane for me; it never worked as a 'One screen at a time,' but now it doesn't even work as 'The following number of lines at a time.'  Could be that I'm now using Windows 7 64-bit whereas I was using 32-bit before.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 03:35:15 am »
Could be that I'm now using Windows 7 64-bit whereas I was using 32-bit before.

I don't think so—that's what I'm using. I've set mine for 15 lines. That results in 9-10 lines scrolling in the movie panel, and close to 15 in the list—at "normal" font sizes. The number of lines scrolled seems to be proportionally less as font sizes are increased. This suggests the program is unaware of lines and screens, and therefore assumes a number of pixels per line specified for scrolling. I find this a workable balance between the behaviour in PVD and that in other applications—where the "correct" number of lines is scrolled. Obviously, I "roll" the wheel, rather than move it one click at a time.