Author Topic: Serbian language corrections  (Read 13214 times)

buah

Serbian language corrections
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:45:15 am »
I never use Serbian language files, because it always ends translating from Serbian into English in order to find out "what the writer wanted to say".
Anyway, I edited serbian.rc file to see how much work it needs to update it. What I found there, is that I don't want to underrate nobody's effort, but I have to say that this translation is shamefully illiterate! And I say that in the sake of PVD. You wouldn't want PVD to be seen in Serbia like this, believe me.

And if you don't trust me, translate here "Permissions" and compare it with ref # 33103 in serbian.rc. This is only obviuos example of wrongly translated word, not to mention grammar for instance:" Not Loaned" translated as "Ne pozajmljeni filmovi" instead "Nepozajmljeni filmovi". It's a single space, but here it immediately shows that someone doesn't know much about Serbian grammar. It is thought in the second grade.

If you ask me, it's better to withdraw serbian.rc at all, waiting for me to translate it (it'll took a month at least), or to use some donations to pay for it, which is not what I'd do.

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:55:13 am by nostra »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
Re: Serbian language corrections
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:55:55 am »
OK, if you say so
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

buah

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 12:21:59 pm »
I started to translate into Serbian. It's not that easy, because Serbian language contains 7 case functions (случае функция?), even more than Russian (6?), unlike English contains none. So, the one has to catch adequate context for every particular English term. That's why I told you I need at least a month.

It would be good to get some suggestions, and to have some consultations with you here.

The first one is (comparing with english.rc):

167, "Automatically create screenshots"
 168, "Check for updates"

In serbian.rc there is equivalent only for 167:
33167, "Automatski snimi kadrove", but there is no "Check for updates" equivalent?

buah

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 11:43:44 pm »
Just noticed in english.rc

Notepad++ line 921: 1929, "Are you you want to set new IDs for ALL visible movies?"

I assume it should be: 1929, "Do you want to set new IDs for ALL visible movies?"

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 01:43:50 am »
Thx

buah

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 02:14:50 am »
You're welcome.

buah

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:19:01 am »
Hi Nostra,

It turned out that I finished Serbian localizations earlier than I thought. I made latin as well as cyrillic .rcs, so as .lngs. Do you want me to send them to you, and how do you suggest to do that, if so?
I tested both on my PVD and made final corrections. As for now, I'm very satisfied how it looks.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:21:27 am by buah »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:31:53 am »
Hey, great timing, just before release!

Please send your translation to admin@videodb.info

buah

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:16:55 am »
Sent. Waiting for eventual suggestions and/or corrections. Please, may I ask you to include whether both, or at least cyrillic if it could be only one.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:19:52 am by buah »

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 02:36:24 am »
Is there really a need to have two of them? Which version is most popular?

buah

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 02:52:30 am »
Well, in Serbia cyrillic is main letter, but we are the only country in the world that uses latin letter, too (it's guaranteed by our Constitution). So, most Serbians would like to see cyrillic (it could be used by Macedonians and Montenegrians, also), but latin localization could be used by Croatians and Bosnians. All those languages are 95-99% identical.

So, with those two localizations PVD would cover 5 countries. If you decide to implement only one, I'd like to see cyrillic.

Cheers

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:01:34 am »
I'll add both in this case

buah

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 03:52:28 pm »
I'll add both in this case

Thank you! Even Microsoft has both localizations of its products for market in Serbia.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:56:53 pm by buah »

buah

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »
Thank you for incorporating both localizations into PVD. I'm really proud&happy to contributed to such a great project.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 12:41:18 am »
You are welcome. I really appreciate your investment in PVD.

buah

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 12:32:13 am »
Nostra, I just wanted to know if this topic has to be updated since it still contains old serbian.rc and serbian.lng and it might confuse other users.

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 12:47:22 am »
Oops, I forgot to do this.

Uploaded the new files now.

buah

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 01:31:37 am »
Thanks nostra.

What I forgot, and I apologize for it, is that I should remind you to update as well both Serbian.rcs as custom translations file containing Serbian.lngs which all I sent you back then. If you don't have .lngs any more, I'll sent 'em to you again.

One more minor suggestion. Serbien is rather German transcription of what is known as usual English International transcription: Serbian

My country is small, so it's natural that such small things are important to us. It's a disadvantage of all small nations and I'm aware of it, but it's hard to fight against mentality ;D

Cheers

P.S. There's a funny saying in Montenegro which is used as a joke when they want to make them look great: Us and Russians - 300 millions (there are about 600.000 citizens in Montenegro)

buah

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 12:29:02 am »
I have corrected some noticed spelling mistakes and added some missing translation lines (like "ignore list" button for example)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline federer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:05 am »
Thank you for incorporating both localizations into PVD. I'm really proud&happy to contributed to such a great project.

Yup its really a great project and Microsoft has both localizations of its products for market in Serbia.

anything