Author Topic: Multiple Movies Editor crashing PVD  (Read 5115 times)

Offline ouafouaf

• View Profile
Multiple Movies Editor crashing PVD
« on: January 28, 2010, 01:43:43 pm »
Hello.

For my use, I often need to select a few films and hit the edit button to use the multiple movies editor.
Sometimes, when I do so, after the editor opens, the program freeze. I cannot click anywhere, nor can I close the editor. I have no other choice but ctrl alt sup.

I use the latest stable version (0.9.9.14), Im running windows XP.
It happens quite randomly, the number of film selected for edition doesnt matter.
I tend to wait a bit before I click the edit button, but it still freezes sometimes, maybe one out of 10 times.

Anyone got the same problem ?

Also, my computer is quite old (Athlon 2000+, 1Gb DDR), but Im still a little upset with the performances. It takes up to 2 or 3 seconds to change from a film page to another, and even more to switch from normal mode to edit mode. Why is that ?
It's a shame really, because otherwise PVD is EXCELLENT, and I say that after having tried loads of similar programs.

Anyway, if one can help me deal with that bug ? Thanks a lot !

Offline AimHere

• Older Power User
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Movies Editor crashing PVD
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:46:32 pm »
Hello.

For my use, I often need to select a few films and hit the edit button to use the multiple movies editor.
Sometimes, when I do so, after the editor opens, the program freeze. I cannot click anywhere, nor can I close the editor. I have no other choice but ctrl alt sup.

I use the latest stable version (0.9.9.14), Im running windows XP.
It happens quite randomly, the number of film selected for edition doesnt matter.
I tend to wait a bit before I click the edit button, but it still freezes sometimes, maybe one out of 10 times.

Anyone got the same problem ?

I haven't had this problem, but then, I only use the multiple-movie editor infrequently, and then only on three or four movies at a time. Does it freeze as soon as the editor opens, or when you click on one of the fields?

Also, my computer is quite old (Athlon 2000+, 1Gb DDR), but Im still a little upset with the performances. It takes up to 2 or 3 seconds to change from a film page to another, and even more to switch from normal mode to edit mode. Why is that ?
It's a shame really, because otherwise PVD is EXCELLENT, and I say that after having tried loads of similar programs.

Anyway, if one can help me deal with that bug ? Thanks a lot !

I have an Athlon XP 2600+, 2GB DDR, and it can get a little slow at times. But then, I have a nearly-500MB database with thousands of movies and people, and tons of pictures embedded in it. How big is YOUR database?  :D

My biggest performance issue with PVD is that the info pages for some actors will scroll really, really slowly when I try to scroll through them (the actor records in question have LONG biographies, might have something to do with it).

Aimhere

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple Movies Editor crashing PVD
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:48:32 pm »

Having recently upgraded from a computer of similar vintage, I'd say both problems are due to the age of the computer. The time switching between records and modes sounds exactly like my experience. I don't recall the MME causing an apparent freeze, but there were a number of operations that would cause that behaviour. Rarely, if ever, is the program/computer actually frozen—it's just taking a very long time to do something. On my current machine, it takes about 1 second per 100 records for MME to load. That's relatively slow, suggesting there's a lot of work involved. But since I rarely edit 100's of movies at a time, I'm unlikely to notice. On my old machine, I might have to go on a coffee break to allow a large number of movies to load. I don't know why it should take so long for just a few movies, but the computer is still the most likely suspect. Maybe the 1 in 10 times you have a problem is when it runs out of memory in the middle of the operation.

anything