Author Topic: No direct import from imdb.com (MyMovies database)  (Read 5244 times)

Offline frankv

• View Profile
No direct import from imdb.com (MyMovies database)
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:41:55 pm »
Hi,

Just discovered this site yesterday, looking for an alternative to keep track of my personal video collection. From what I've read, there appears to be no direct way of importing my existing records from IMDB's MyMovies into PVD, correct?

Secondly, my main reason for not staying with IMDB is the omission of many music videos in their database. Any other online database that PVD has a plug-in for that is better suited for those types of "movies"?

Thx,
Frank

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: No direct import from imdb.com (MyMovies database)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:01:30 pm »
Welcome, Frank.

From what I've read, there appears to be no direct way of importing my existing records from IMDB's MyMovies into PVD, correct?

Correct, but the indirect means are relatively painless if you know your way around Excel. This is how I started my PVD database. Copy the entire My Movies table into Excel. Use formulae to parse the data into separate columns for Title, Year and URL. Import this into PVD using the import plugin. There's more information here and here.

This is actually the perfect starting point for a PVD database. Since you already have the URL's, the plugin will be able to download all the information without having to search for any titles.

Any other online database that PVD has a plug-in for that is better suited for those types of "movies"?

Not that I'm aware of. Is there a particular site you think might be good for that? Maybe a script could be written for it.