Author Topic: Database error on fresh install  (Read 36754 times)

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: Database error on fresh install
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 05:18:13 am »
This is exactly what I meant by "[server name]:[database path]", but I obviously didn't have the words to convey this effectively. Maybe someone familiar with a network/server environment (i.e., not me) can improve the existing wiki entry, but it seems to cover it as is.

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 11:41:45 am »
This is exactly what I meant by "[server name]:[database path]", but I obviously didn't have the words to convey this effectively. Maybe someone familiar with a network/server environment (i.e., not me) can improve the existing wiki entry, but it seems to cover it as is.

Actually, the WIKI entry seems to be quite good. I think the problem was that UDF share names do not seem to be liked by Firebird in the Connection string, and the error messages provided by Firebird where a little obscure. Not to mention lavish amounts of stupidity on my part - I really should know the difference between absolute and relative path names (Rick - I think your sig is quite apt in this case!)

buah

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 03:48:20 pm »
I really appreciate all this, but I had a thought and have finally resolved the issue.

server:E:\Users Shared Folders\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd

Did you try full syntax, for instance 127.0.0.1:C:\Documents and settings\All Users\....\Data\MOVIES.PVD?

Yes, but I meant instead "server" to enter it's address.

With those two comments above, that's exactly what I suggested, too. I never suggested to use remote path.

I think the problem was that UDF share names do not seem to be liked by Firebird in the Connection string.

It's not that Firebird doesn't like UDF. It's how it was designed to be, I think?

Existing Wiki entry was totally ok saying:
Remote server path configuration
The database path for the Firebird server can be entered using one the following formats:

1. local path (if both client and server are on the same computer)
   2. computer name:local path
   3. ip:local path

You always have to specify database's local path.
The following paragraph "Movie path configuration" explains how to handle remote paths. And that's another little gem of PVD.

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 04:15:40 pm »
I really appreciate all this, but I had a thought and have finally resolved the issue.

server:E:\Users Shared Folders\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd

Did you try full syntax, for instance 127.0.0.1:C:\Documents and settings\All Users\....\Data\MOVIES.PVD?

Yes, but I meant instead "server" to enter it's address.

With those two comments above, that's exactly what I suggested, too. I never suggested to use remote path.

Again apologies. However, as it was shown earlier (and above), if the path is actually a route to server share (either UDF or a mapped drive) it won't work. The database HAS to physically be located on the machine with the instance of FB is running AND the path MUST be local to that machine. I must admit, I didn't see the WIKI entry until after the fact.

For instance, all of these refer to exactly the same location, and would be acceptable references to access the resource from each machine, but only the first one works:

server:E:\Users Shared Folders\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd - FB on a remote server, local path on server - WORKS!

server:\\server\Users\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd - FB on a remote server, share on the same server - DOESN'T Work
127.0.0.1:\\server\Users\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd - FB on local machine, share on remote server - DOESN'T Work
127.0.0.1:Z:\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd - FB on local machine, mapped drive to remote server - DOESN'T Work

The biggest issue for me was that as I run a server and have all the users files redirected to shares on a server, and even though these shares use off-line files (so essentially I am using a local copy), the default install of PVD creates the DB in the "My Docs" folder - which is actually a server share.

Maybe examples of what WON'T work would be as useful as what will.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 04:22:08 pm by swinster »

buah

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 04:30:02 pm »
Maybe examples of what WON'T work would be as useful as what will.

Absolutely. And that's how existing wiki entry could be updated? Unfortunately, my English is not so good :(

Cheers

buah

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010, 10:15:29 pm »
I found this line (#128) in firebird.conf:"UdfAccess = None". That could explain a lot...

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010, 11:28:10 pm »
I've been saying UDF, I really meant UNC relating to remote path names  :-[. However, as was show, even mapped drives don't work, although I'm guessing they will resolve to a UNC path.

buah

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2010, 10:59:45 pm »
Of course! Firebird QuickStart Guide:
You cannot locate components of the server, or any database, on a mapped drive, a filesystem share or a network filesystem.

To add one more issue, which I recently resolved. In case of such an error messages
2:Unable to complete network request to host "@1".
Failed to establish a connection.
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond afer period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Unsuccessful execution caused by a system error that precludes successful execution of subsequent statements
Error Code: 401

4:unavailable database
Unsuccessful execution caused by an unavailable resource.
Error Code: 55

ERROR
Failed to open database

most likely you'll have to open 3050 TCP port on your firewall, or any other TCP port defined in firebird.conf, line:
#RemoteServiceName = gds_db
#RemoteServicePort = 3050

Another solution is to add fbserver.exe and/or fbguard.exe services to an exception list in firewall.

I haven't checked if this issue was treated earlier in forum, so I apologize if it was.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 11:01:29 pm by buah »

anything