Author Topic: Database error on fresh install  (Read 37997 times)

Offline swinster

• View Profile
Re: Database error on fresh install
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 08:07:46 pm »
fantastic. Iwill install firbird on the server and see how this goes. Shame about the error messages, but i hope this solves the problem for IBICO  as well.

Offline IBICO

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2010, 03:01:36 pm »
installed Firefird 2.5 and inside PVD I took Connect to server and wrote 127.0.0.1 and started saving new database.. Now everything works.

Only thing bugging me now is can`t seems to categories main list after Action, Comedy, Horror.. and then have movies listed under those.

Also when I write The Golden Child and The Witches of Eastwick it changes it to Golden Child, The and Witches of Eastwick, The.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:03:29 pm by IBICO »

buah

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2010, 03:45:17 pm »
Also when I write The Golden Child and The Witches of Eastwick it changes it to Golden Child, The and Witches of Eastwick, The.

Tools->Preferences->Movies->Title Formatting->Prefixes->Leave as they are radio button checked?

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 09:20:49 pm »
Well, I tried install Firebird 2.1.3 on the server but cannot connect to it from PVD. The port is open, FB is listening on the sever and can be probed (3050 I believe). So I still can't open a file stored in my re-directed "My Docs" folder.

I will try FB 2.5 and see what happens.

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »
Only thing bugging me now is can`t seems to categories main list after Action, Comedy, Horror.. and then have movies listed under those.

The meaning of this is unclear. Please edit your post to restate.

Offline IBICO

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 10:36:25 pm »

The meaning of this is unclear. Please edit your post to restate.

That instead of having the movies listed like it is now.. Where the movies are listed on the left side with the name of your movies.

Let me explain it like if you had all your movies on an harddrive on your computer

instead I could have the possibility to put the movies under categories like a folder and subfolder.
The folder could be called ACTION - under you have folder Bad boys, then Bad boys II, Running man etc etc..

Now you have one folder called Your movies, and under it lot`s of folders with your movies.

It is good if you got a smaller collection of movies.. but I got hundreds of DVD`s in my closet and need to check my list to see what movies I have. So therefore it would be also easier if I could categories them under different lists.. Children movies, Scifi, Horror, Comedy etc.

Hope it is more clear now.

Sorry for the off topic..
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:37:56 pm by IBICO »

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2010, 11:10:10 pm »
It seems what you want is View - Group by... genre—or whatever. You can also do nested grouping by specifying what you want at Preferences - Movies - Tree View Nodes. For example, for a large collection, you might prefer a Decade\Genre grouping. Note that if a movie is in more than one genre (most are), then it will appear in both categories.

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2010, 11:15:50 pm »
Hmm, not sure what is going on with me. I still cannot get the "movies.pvd" file to open from the redirected "my docs" folder.

I have tried FB 2.5 on both the client and the server, however I am not getting a new error message:

1: Your user name and password are not defined. Ask your database administrator so set up a Firebird login.
Unsuccessful execution cause by a system error that precludes successful execution of subsequent statement.
Error code: 152

Whether is matters or not, I cann't Connect to any server in PVD. I have tried typing the IP address, machines name or local machine ip address. If I try doing this I get this error massage:

1:I/O error during "CreateFile (open) operation for "machine name"
Error when trying to open file. The system cannot find the file specified.
Unsuccessful execution cause by a system error that precludes successful execution of subsequent statement.
Error code: 24

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 11:32:53 pm »
Does this help? You shouldn't need to login to Firebird.

How, exactly, are you specifying the connection? "[server name]:[database path]" should work.

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2010, 12:03:31 am »
Does this help? You shouldn't need to login to Firebird.
Unfortunately not. As you say, I shouldn't need a username and password and there isn't the moption to insert them anywhere.

How, exactly, are you specifying the connection? "[server name]:[database path]" should work.
I have tried a simple ip address or machine name, UDF convention and not your suggested method (with the braces). So I have:

server:Users\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd

With this I get the error message:

2:I/O error during "@1" operation for file "@2".
Error while tring to open file.
The system cannot find the path specified.
Unsuccessfully...
Error code:24

Not sure what else to try.

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 12:08:39 am »
apologies - didn't see the -user and -pass parameters that can be passed - will try that

Now tried

server:Users\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd -user SYSDBA -pass masterke

same error as:

Unsuccessfully...

I only get the the user name/password error when I try to OPEN (not Connect) the movies.pvd file, but only then once I close down PVD and re-open

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:35:16 am by swinster »

buah

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 01:09:46 am »
Did you try full syntax, for instance 127.0.0.1:C:\Documents and settings\All Users\....\Data\MOVIES.PVD?

It works for me fine.

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 01:44:13 am »
Did you try full syntax, for instance 127.0.0.1:C:\Documents and settings\All Users\....\Data\MOVIES.PVD?

It works for me fine.
although 127.0.0.1 refers to you local machine, I have tried

server:\\server\Users\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd

and I now get the error:

1:unavailable database
Unsuccessful execution caused by an unavailable resource
Error Code:55

As said, all permissions seem fine.  

buah

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 02:05:54 am »
Yes, but I meant instead "server" to enter it's address. I would also check sharing and security permissions. If that wouldn't work, I would map network drive so I could try 127.0.0.1 syntax... Although, if you could map it, it would meant that sharing and security permissions were ok.

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2010, 02:16:40 am »
Yes, but I meant instead "server" to enter it's address. I would also check sharing and security permissions. If that wouldn't work, I would map network drive so I could try 127.0.0.1 syntax... Although, if you could map it, it would meant that sharing and security permissions were ok.

I have tried connecting to the local machine and server (using both IP or machine name), using both UDF and mapped network drive, but still no joy. Tried connections such as:

127.0.0.1:Z:\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd
server:Z:\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd
etc

Any further ideas?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:24:38 am by swinster »

buah

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2010, 02:24:28 am »
Can you open movies.pvd from mapped drive without connecting to server?

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2010, 02:26:32 am »
Can you open movies.pvd from mapped drive without connecting to server?
No

I get the error:

Unsuccessfully...

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2010, 02:35:26 am »
Just to let you know, both my user account and the System account have full permissions on both the folder and file. The firebird service is started used the Local System account.

buah

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:53 am »
1. Did you try to copy movies.pvd to a local disc and to open it without connecting to a server?
2. Did you try with stopping firebird services first, then to open it from a local disc?
3. Did you install Kroozbox, maybe? If so, try to uninstall it, then open database from local disc?

Offline swinster

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2010, 04:40:36 am »
I really appreciate all this, but I had a thought and have finally resolved the issue.

You can specify the remote server as indicated in the posts above, but you need to pass the physical location of the database file on the SERVER, rather then with refernce to the local machine. So, we end up with a connection string that's:

server:E:\Users Shared Folders\me\My Documents\Personal Video Database\movies.pvd

Still, I'm a little confused as to why UDF notation didn't work, as this is still accessible from the server (i,e, \\server\users\me....).

This might be useful to stick in you solved problem in case anyone else wishes to run the database from a remote location.

Many thanks all. Now I just need to figure out how it all works.

anything