Author Topic: File Scanner Causes Crash  (Read 12544 times)

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
File Scanner Causes Crash
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:06:35 am »

Hi,

Just upgraded to 0.9.9.16 (from 14 was it?) and file scanner causes an error message.

A window pops up with viddb.exe in the title... "An error occured in the application" and I have the choice to continue or restart. continue lets me return to pvd and it seems to function ok.  however, file scanning hasn't.

using w7 32 bit.  also have pvdimport installed so using the connect to server option if that makes a difference.  not sure if i did anything else abnormal.

any other information i can give you??  haven't tried to reinstall yet.

Thanks

craig

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
  • "I'm willing to shoot you!"
    • View Profile
Re: File Scanner Causes Crash
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:51:07 am »
That error reporting dialog should offer the option to email the bug report. It's also saved in the installation directory as bugreport.txt. Send that to nostra so he can see what the problem is.

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:50:30 pm »

sent off. 

nostra, let me know if know if there is anything else i can help [myself:))] with.

thanks
craig

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:29:29 am »

if i start a new database filescanner works fine.

but I have Firebird 2.1.3 server running so that I can have simultaneous connections with pvdimport. it is on the database that i have used "connect to server" that won't run filescanner.

Any suggestions?
thanks
craig

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:49:05 am »

then I thought, why not go back to v14. but i had forgotten the first rule, back up before upgrading.  now when I try and add a record in v14 it says "validation error for column @1, vlaue "@2"  The insert filed failed because a column definition includes validation constraints.  Error Code 27"

But the upside is filescanner works in v14, just can't add the fields.

craig

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:01:38 am »
I hope you remembered the second rule—backup before downgrading. The file scanner works fine in v16. There's no point in reverting to v14.

Does the file scanner work with a new database connected to the server? Maybe the problem is with your database, not with it being connected to the server.

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:12:44 am »

rick, i think you are right, it is something in the database

if i start a new database (not connected to server or standalone) file scanner is fine.

if i then restore from a previous backup into this same blank file (only works if not connected to server), then the file scanner stops working and asks if i want to quit.

suggestions?

craig

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 11:29:37 am »
No, I meant you should create a new database—completely independent of the old—connect that to the server, and see if the file scanner works.

You can't restore a backup into a new database—it just opens the backup.

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 11:58:07 am »

see second sentence above (replace word if with when, poor grammar style).  yes when i create a new database and ask for a file scan, it starts without error.  this is an affirmative for both a standalone database and if i connect to server with a new database and do the same thing.

is there a way to get my existing (perhaps corrupt??) data into a new database?

craig

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 12:31:02 pm »
is there a way to get my existing (perhaps corrupt??) data into a new database?

Other than exporting an reimporting, no. Nostra may have suggestions after reviewing your bug report.

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 12:39:18 pm »

ok. so changed the file scanning directories.  i can get file scanner to actually start and will go through quite a few directories and then stops with error.  can't really see which directory it is upset with (text goes by too fast).  similar thing happens on any of my subdirectories.

through trial and error I found a few directories that if removed allowed filescanner to proceed.  Each of these perhaps by coincidence had two media files in the directory, eg. The Hurt Locker (2008).mkv and The Hurt Locker (2008).m4a.  The other culprit directory had movietoobadtobenamed (1983).mkv and movietoobadtobenamed (1983).wmv. For later, problem seemed to be in wmv file, as upon renaming the extension of the wmv file to .wmvold it worked. 

can't get the hurt locker mkv file to pass through the filescanner though.  tried renaming to different extension avi and it didn't work, tried completely different name, i.e. delme.mkv.

is filescanner doing something more than it used to in v16, as these files had passed through previously.

any suggestions.

thanks
craig

perhaps not as important if the above can be fixed...

I had nothing fancy in my database, so my best option at the moment is to export to a text file with file location and imdb address and let it re-import everything again.  may miss a few posters I guess, but not the end of the world.  Would rather not though as it takes a while for 800 or so movies.

So I tried to write a simple export CSV file,

with ...

%OPTIONS%
encoding="UTF8BOM"
replace=";<->,"
replace=""<->"
replace="#13#10<-> "
replace="#13<-> "
replace="#10<-> "
filter="CSV Files|*.csv"
%OPTIONS%
%HEAD%Title;Year;URL;Path
%HEAD%{%value=title};{%value=8};{%value=27}

all I get is ...
12 Angry Men;http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050083/;23.97      

value 27 is supposed to be the path (http://www.videodb.info/forum_en/index.php?topic=766.0).  all i get is some sort of number.  what am i doing wrong??

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:01:34 pm »
It seems you've narrowed the problem to the unusual circumstance where file names, except for the extension, are duplicated in the same directory. What happens if you rename them The Hurt Locker (2008) v1.mkv and The Hurt Locker (2008) v2.m4a?

%HEAD%{%value=title};{%value=8};{%value=27}

%HEAD%{%value=title};{%value=URL};{%value=Path}

Fields are now referenced by name.

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 09:35:53 pm »

Hi Rick,

doesn't matter what I name (extension or base) that mkv file or where I put it, when filescanner gets to it, it is game over.

if i put that file in graphedt, it shows a decoding chain, and the file plays fine in MC.  interstingly when i put it in gspot it doesn't display any information.

ok, now i am on to something.  i had only recently added The Hurt Locker (2008).m4v to the library, but I had to remux it as I wanted AC3 to be the default audio track, not the aac that was playing up.  so I went into the entry for the hurt locker and manually edited the Path field to reference the mkv file (ie. no longer .m4v) and now it works.  Very odd?????

but i have other files causing problems in other directories.  Guess I have a bit of trial and error ahead of me to find the other culprits.

craig 

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 11:13:49 pm »
We need to clarify. I've assumed all along the error happens during the first phase of the Scan folders... routine—when the file paths are being scanned. This is why I said before the program (AFAIK) is only processing file pathnames. The files themselves are not being read and therefore the error could not be caused by their content, type, structure or whatever. Once the scan is complete, the user is presented with a confirmation dialog for new movies to be added and file paths to be changed. When that confirmation is given, the second phase of the process will (among other things) "scan" the selected files for file information. Which phase is the error happening in?

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:09:15 am »

Your original assumption is correct.  The crash happens during the first phase when it is scanning the folders.  I can see the directories being scanned and the last directories I see start with the letter T and then it crashes (The Hurt Locker I presume is the last).  I don't get to the dialog box.

I can't see anything strange with the permissions or setting of the mkv file causing the problem. 

I guess PVD is only doing a scan of the name on the first pass, but it then must also be doing some comparison with what it has in the database to know how to display it in the subsequent dialog box, and I am guessing this is where the problem comes from.  For it was when I manually edited the existing path to point to the mkv file and not the (now) non-existent m4v file that the problem went away.  I suppose the comparison is a perfect match and not just similar and for some reason it works.

I am now at work, so can't try this myself, but I am wondering if I go to any file currently in the database and rename it from MMM.avi to MMM.mkv (or any other permutation of extensions) and then do the scan, will it recreate the error?

Craig

PS: I did think I had at one point renamed The Hurt Locker (2008).mkv to delme.mkv and it still got upset.  That would indeed be odd.  Will check again later.

Craig

Offline rick.ca

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 02:18:03 am »
I am now at work, so can't try this myself, but I am wondering if I go to any file currently in the database and rename it from MMM.avi to MMM.mkv (or any other permutation of extensions) and then do the scan, will it recreate the error?

My theory was having MMM.avi and MMM.mkv in the same directory might cause a problem. In other words, the program would ignore extensions of non-video file types, but then would assume the filenames (i.e., without the extension) in the same directory are otherwise unique.

I did think I had at one point renamed The Hurt Locker (2008).mkv to delme.mkv and it still got upset.

But you may have already disproved that theory. :-\

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 02:27:42 am »

Yes, I was working on same theory for a while, thinking it was the combination of mmm.m4a and mmm.mkv causing the problem.  but at one point i deleted mmm.m4a and it still crashed.

I have a few other problem files, as it is still crashing on other directories, so maybe a pattern will arise.

craig

Offline nostra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Personal Video Database
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 08:17:53 pm »
I have found a bug causing this crash and will fix it asap. (I plan to release one more version in the 0.9.9.x branch before actually making big changes for 1.x)
Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

Offline junk_struc

• User
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 11:13:27 am »
Thanks Nostra, all working in v17